Can you have MULT:NO with a CHOOSE?

  • Ding
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14 12:05 PM
      I'm converting some of my custom datasets for use with 6.00, and I'm getting this message in the log when I load them:
      Foo had MULT:NO but did have CHOOSE

      As I understand it, if you have MULT:YES, you must have a CHOOSE, but there's nothing that says you can't use a CHOOSE if you have MULT:NO.

      Basically, this feat offers a bonus to a craft skill:
      MULT:NO
      CHOOSE:SKILL|TYPE=Craft
      BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2

      But it can only be taken once, so I don't want a MULT:YES. How do I get rid of this message?

      Thanks,
      Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14 12:15 PM

        MULT:YES

        CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|TYPE=Craft

        Cheers,

        On 3/14/2013 12:05 PM, Ding wrote:
        > I'm converting some of my custom datasets for use with 6.00, and I'm getting this message in the log when I load them:
        > Foo had MULT:NO but did have CHOOSE
        >
        > As I understand it, if you have MULT:YES, you must have a CHOOSE, but there's nothing that says you can't use a CHOOSE if you have MULT:NO.
        >
        > Basically, this feat offers a bonus to a craft skill:
        > MULT:NO
        > CHOOSE:SKILL|TYPE=Craft
        > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2
        >
        > But it can only be taken once, so I don't want a MULT:YES. How do I get rid of this message?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jason

      • Ding
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14 1:55 PM
          Thanks Drew. That seems to work perfectly.

          With that being said, however, it might not be a bad idea to reference CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES in the MULT section as the documentation implies that MULT:NO with CHOOSE is acceptable.

          Thanks,
          Jason

          > MULT:YES
          >
          > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|TYPE=Craft
          >
          > Cheers,
        • Ding
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14 2:38 PM
            Ok, that worked for the feat I had trouble with, but now I'm running into a different issue. I have a supernatural ability that is granted by a prestige class:
            Imbue Unarmed Strike
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:SpecialQuality.Supernatural
            VISIBLE:YES
            DESC:Your unarmed strike gains the %1 property.|%LIST
            MULT:YES
            CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|STRING|Flaming|Frost|Ghost Touch|Shock|Thundering

            I'm debating on whether it should be an attack rather than a quality, but regardless, when I try to load the source, I get this error:

            14:34:43.828 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Imbue Unarmed Strike where a target [parens] is required
            14:34:43.829 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve PLEASE TAKE NOTE: If usage locations are reported, not all usages are necessary illegal (at least one is)

            So it appears that because there's a chooser in the ability, I have to specify which choice when I add the ability? I'm simply using this on the level line of the class:
            5
            ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Imbue Unarmed Strike

            Thanks,
            Jason

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14 2:54 PM

              Two issues:

              1) CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=x doesn't work with STRING
              2) You need to preselect the Choice if directly granted since a chooser won't pop up, instead you
              need to use BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|x|1

              In the ABILITYPOOL you'll want to have the Preselected on a PRExxx

              Example:
              Imbue Unarmed Strike Choice CATEGORY:Internal TYPE:YourAbilityPoolType
              CHOOSE:STRING|Flaming|Frost|Ghost Touch|Shock|Thundering ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Imbued
              Unarmed Strike(Flaming)|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Internal,Imbue unarmed Strike Choice(Flaming)

              Repeat for each type. As to the SpecialQuality vs. SpecialAttack, it affects an opponent, I'd call
              it an Attack myself.

              Cheers,