Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: coding the Pious Templar

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013

      KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

      And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.

      Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

      On 3/8/2013 6:23 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
      > I've now made it into:
      > SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
      > KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
      > SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
      > Without any SUBCLASSLEVEL
      >
      > I haven't tested it yet though.
      >
      > I think you're right on LEVEL=0 Not doing anything.
      >
      > I know I've been struggling with this class and the Rainbow Servant in 2011, when I couldn't make it work properly. See JIRA DOC-123 for example.
      > I don't think the Rainbow Servant can be made to work in PCGen at the moment. It gets a new spelllist at level 10 of the PrC.
      >
      > I posted this because I'd like input from more experienced data monkeys on how this should be done. There might be a much smarter solution than trying to get the SUBCLASS thing to work.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
      >
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
      >> It seems odd that it's listing the LEVEL=n tags twice. Try removing the
      >> duplicates, and see if it helps. [Do Paladins and Blackguards get
      >> 0-level spells in 3.x? I don't remember that. I wouldn't think the
      >> LEVEL=0 would cause a problem with the converter, though.]
      >>
      >> DS/DL
      >>
      >> On 3/8/2013 7:14 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
      >>> I'm trying to convert the Pious Templar from Complete Divine to 6.0
      >>> and I run into a problem with how their spells are coded. Depending on
      >>> their alignment they either get Paladin spells or Blackguard spells.
      >>>
      >>> Currently it's coded with two subclasses:
      >>>
      >>> SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
      >>> SUBCLASSLEVEL:1
      >>> KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
      >>> SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
      >>> SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Blackguard COST:0 !PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG
      >>> SUBCLASSLEVEL:1
      >>> KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
      >>> SPELLLIST:1|Blackguard
      >>>
      >>> The converter doesn't seem to like this. Anyone has an idea of an
      >>> alternative way to code this? I'm not sure if it worded in the past, i
      >>> know I've struggled with PrCs from CompDiv in the past.
      >>>
      >>> Cheers,
      >>>
      >>> Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013

        > KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

        I'll try to test this, but it might be a couple of weeks.

        > And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.
        >
        > Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

        Because you get to choose different spelllists depending on your alignment. Good aligned characters get Paladin spells, Evil aligned characters get Blackguard spells, Neutral characters can choose.

        I don't think you can accomplish that with CHOOSE:SPELLLIST or CHOOSE:SPELLS

        What I'm basically trying to accomplish in speudocode is something like:
        CLASS ... CHOOSE:SPELLLIST|NUMCHOICES=1|[Paladin|!PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE],[Blackguard|!PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG]

        The main reason I'm upgrading to 6.00 is in the hope that new mechanics have been introduced that could make these class mechanics work because in 5.14 I couldn't make them work. This is how CMP coded it, but I don't think it ever worked properly and neither does the Rainbow Servant. I know it should have worked according to the 5.14 documentation but it didn't work when I tried using it. That resulted in JIRA DOC-123.

        Cheers,

        Adriaan Renting.