Substitution class levels and PROHIBITSPELLS/KNOWNSPELLS

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
      In my conversion of D&D 3.5 to PCGen 6.0 I'm encountering several substitution classes that grant new spells at a certain levels or prohibit them at a certain level.

      For example the Raptoran Sorcerer from Races of the Wild gets 3 bonus spells known at racial substitution level 5.

      The converter throws a SEVERE error on this and according to the documentation it only works for CLASS lines, which is not what I need.

      Putting it on the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line doesn't seem to help.

      Anyone has an idea if this can be implemented?

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
        If they're specific spells known, a tag like
        SPELLKNOWN:CLASS|Sorcerer=1|Enlarge Person in an ability should work.

        If they can be chosen from any sorcerer spell, a tag like
        BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Sorcerer;LEVEL=1|3 should work.

        I'm not sure what you mean by "prohibit them at a certain level". You
        can use the PROHIBITSPELL tag in a class level line, and it takes PRExxx
        tags, so you should be able to turn it off later if you need to. That
        might be able to do what the substitution level calls for.

        DS/DL

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

          > If they're specific spells known, a tag like
          > SPELLKNOWN:CLASS|Sorcerer=1|Enlarge Person in an ability should work.

          I tried
          CLASS:Sorcerer.MOD
          KNOWNSPELLS:Gust of Wind|Whispering Wind|Wind Wall|PRECLASS:1,Sorcerer=5

          but that didn't work.

          You suggestion showed me the way though, using SPELLKNOWN:CLASS instead of KNOWNSPELLS does work. I didn't even have to make an ability for it, it works directly on the SUBCLASSLEVEL line.

          > If they can be chosen from any sorcerer spell, a tag like
          > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Sorcerer;LEVEL=1|3 should work.
          >
          > I'm not sure what you mean by "prohibit them at a certain level". You
          > can use the PROHIBITSPELL tag in a class level line, and it takes PRExxx
          > tags, so you should be able to turn it off later if you need to. That
          > might be able to do what the substitution level calls for.

          I've tried the following three constructs:
          CLASS:Cleric.MOD PROHIBITSPELL:ALIGNMENT.Good|PREDEITYALIGN:LE,NE,CE

          or

          SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Raptoran Cleric PREDOMAIN:1,Air,Sky
          PRERACE:1,Raptoran% PROHIBITSPELL:ALIGNMENT.Good|PREDEITYALIGN:LE,NE,CE

          or

          SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 PROHIBITSPELL:ALIGNMENT.Good|PREDEITYALIGN:LE,NE,CE

          Cheers,

          Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

          I haven't tried adding a PRECLASS of some kind, as that might make it harder to interpret any errors.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013

            PROHIBITSPELL should be a Class Level line only, I don't think it's supported on Sub or Substitution
            class level lines.

            You'll have to be creative to toggle when it is active though.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 13, 2013
              Does that mean this can not be accomplished in a CLASS:x.MOD in any way? Can this only be done by modifying the original class?

              How would you support this in the rsrd if I wanted to add something like this through homebrew? Or would I have to replace the rsrd Cleric to make something like this work?

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 14, 2013

                Sorry, long week at work...

                CLASS:Blah.MOD would work just fine. Like I said, it just can become a little tricky. But still doable.

                If you need an example I can help.

                Cheers,

              • Ricky
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2013
                  Hi ,
                  I'm just a user like you, and i'am interested in your same problem wirh PROHIBITSPELL. I found that there is already a jira submitted for this expansion of validity:
                  Http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWTAG-276

                  Regards

                  Inviato da Yahoo! Mail su Android

                • rogerwllco
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16, 2013
                    Your comment there does indeed seem to be exactly the case I'm having trouble with:substitution classes for cleric/druid.
                    In my case in the Races of X books, some of the Complete series and such.

                    Cheers,

                    RogerWilco/Adriaan Renting

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
                      Hi all,
                      Gotcha! I coded many wizards' closed content books into dataset for my group... Including the Complete series ...

                      Inviato da Yahoo! Mail su Android