Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] coding the Pious Templar

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
      It seems odd that it's listing the LEVEL=n tags twice. Try removing the
      duplicates, and see if it helps. [Do Paladins and Blackguards get
      0-level spells in 3.x? I don't remember that. I wouldn't think the
      LEVEL=0 would cause a problem with the converter, though.]

      DS/DL

      On 3/8/2013 7:14 AM, rogerwllco wrote:

      > I'm trying to convert the Pious Templar from Complete Divine to 6.0
      > and I run into a problem with how their spells are coded. Depending on
      > their alignment they either get Paladin spells or Blackguard spells.
      >
      > Currently it's coded with two subclasses:
      >
      > SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
      > SUBCLASSLEVEL:1
      > KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
      > SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
      > SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Blackguard COST:0 !PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG
      > SUBCLASSLEVEL:1
      > KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
      > SPELLLIST:1|Blackguard
      >
      > The converter doesn't seem to like this. Anyone has an idea of an
      > alternative way to code this? I'm not sure if it worded in the past, i
      > know I've struggled with PrCs from CompDiv in the past.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
        I've now made it into:
        SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
        KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
        SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
        Without any SUBCLASSLEVEL

        I haven't tested it yet though.

        I think you're right on LEVEL=0 Not doing anything.

        I know I've been struggling with this class and the Rainbow Servant in 2011, when I couldn't make it work properly. See JIRA DOC-123 for example.
        I don't think the Rainbow Servant can be made to work in PCGen at the moment. It gets a new spelllist at level 10 of the PrC.

        I posted this because I'd like input from more experienced data monkeys on how this should be done. There might be a much smarter solution than trying to get the SUBCLASS thing to work.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013

          KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

          And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.

          Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013

            > KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

            I'll try to test this, but it might be a couple of weeks.

            > And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.
            >
            > Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

            Because you get to choose different spelllists depending on your alignment. Good aligned characters get Paladin spells, Evil aligned characters get Blackguard spells, Neutral characters can choose.

            I don't think you can accomplish that with CHOOSE:SPELLLIST or CHOOSE:SPELLS

            What I'm basically trying to accomplish in speudocode is something like:
            CLASS ... CHOOSE:SPELLLIST|NUMCHOICES=1|[Paladin|!PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE],[Blackguard|!PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG]

            The main reason I'm upgrading to 6.00 is in the hope that new mechanics have been introduced that could make these class mechanics work because in 5.14 I couldn't make them work. This is how CMP coded it, but I don't think it ever worked properly and neither does the Rainbow Servant. I know it should have worked according to the 5.14 documentation but it didn't work when I tried using it. That resulted in JIRA DOC-123.

            Cheers,

            Adriaan Renting.