coding the Pious Templar

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
      I'm trying to convert the Pious Templar from Complete Divine to 6.0 and I run into a problem with how their spells are coded. Depending on their alignment they either get Paladin spells or Blackguard spells.

      Currently it's coded with two subclasses:

      SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
      SUBCLASSLEVEL:1 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4 SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
      SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Blackguard COST:0 !PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG
      SUBCLASSLEVEL:1 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4|LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4 SPELLLIST:1|Blackguard

      The converter doesn't seem to like this. Anyone has an idea of an alternative way to code this? I'm not sure if it worded in the past, i know I've struggled with PrCs from CompDiv in the past.

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
        It seems odd that it's listing the LEVEL=n tags twice. Try removing the
        duplicates, and see if it helps. [Do Paladins and Blackguards get
        0-level spells in 3.x? I don't remember that. I wouldn't think the
        LEVEL=0 would cause a problem with the converter, though.]

        DS/DL

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
          I've now made it into:
          SUBCLASS:Pious Templar - Paladin COST:0 !PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE
          KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=0|LEVEL=1|LEVEL=2|LEVEL=3|LEVEL=4
          SPELLLIST:1|Paladin
          Without any SUBCLASSLEVEL

          I haven't tested it yet though.

          I think you're right on LEVEL=0 Not doing anything.

          I know I've been struggling with this class and the Rainbow Servant in 2011, when I couldn't make it work properly. See JIRA DOC-123 for example.
          I don't think the Rainbow Servant can be made to work in PCGen at the moment. It gets a new spelllist at level 10 of the PrC.

          I posted this because I'd like input from more experienced data monkeys on how this should be done. There might be a much smarter solution than trying to get the SUBCLASS thing to work.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013

            KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

            And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.

            Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013

              > KNOWNSPELLS should be a CLASS LINE, not aSUBCLASS LINE, if I remember correctly. You'll need to test.

              I'll try to test this, but it might be a couple of weeks.

              > And if the class has no 0th level spells, I'd remove the LEVEL=0 entry.
              >
              > Why is the class a Subclass anyways?

              Because you get to choose different spelllists depending on your alignment. Good aligned characters get Paladin spells, Evil aligned characters get Blackguard spells, Neutral characters can choose.

              I don't think you can accomplish that with CHOOSE:SPELLLIST or CHOOSE:SPELLS

              What I'm basically trying to accomplish in speudocode is something like:
              CLASS ... CHOOSE:SPELLLIST|NUMCHOICES=1|[Paladin|!PREALIGN:LE,NE,CE],[Blackguard|!PREALIGN:LG,NG,CG]

              The main reason I'm upgrading to 6.00 is in the hope that new mechanics have been introduced that could make these class mechanics work because in 5.14 I couldn't make them work. This is how CMP coded it, but I don't think it ever worked properly and neither does the Rainbow Servant. I know it should have worked according to the 5.14 documentation but it didn't work when I tried using it. That resulted in JIRA DOC-123.

              Cheers,

              Adriaan Renting.