Re: Can you adjust age settings with a template?

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
      I can't think of anything. There are races that define their age categories as xx% of the normal elf/orc/gnome etc. But those are separate races.

      I do find it illogical that these setting are in the gameMode directory because the races/monsters themselves are defined in the datasets for the different sources.

      I rarely use the age categories though, as at least in DnD 3.5 the effects heavily favour casters over melee classes, while the balance in the system is already in favour of the casters. It just puts the system even more out of whack than it already is. It's a whole new level of cheese that I don't need in my 3.5 game right now.

      But if people do end up thinking about changing things, I'd think it would be more logical to move these kind of settings to the dataset files as now you have to edit the gameMode files each time you add a new dataset with new races and monsters. Especially the Forgotten Realms sources in 3.5 usually have age categories and heights and such defined for most playable humanoids.

      The way it's currently coded in my CMP gameMode files doesn't really work very well any way probably because the gameMode files don't depend on which sources are selected.

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013

        Biosetting is both a GameMode & Data File. The question at hand is whether you can alter them.

        If you have a Biosetting in the data sets, it *should* over-ride the GameMode version (That was a
        recent code fix).

        As to it affecting a class over another, it's mimicking the effects of aging. Your body slows down,
        you lose muscle mass, and you become more susceptible to illness, disease and injury. In theory with
        age you've becomesmarter, wiser and somehow more charming. As a paramedic I can assure you that the
        effects of aging are quite real. Getting older is hardly an issue in any game unless your gamemaster
        chooses to span decades of game world time. Considering most games you can go from level 1 to 20 in
        the span of a few months, I don't see age as a great equalizer. -6 to Physical Stats for a measly +3
        to Mental Stats. (Your Str 8 Wizard is now a Str 2 Wizard vs your Str 20 Fighter is now a Str 14).
        Though why your fighter is out adventuring in his old age is beyond me... :P

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013

          > Biosetting is both a GameMode & Data File. The question at hand is whether you can alter them.
          >
          > If you have a Biosetting in the data sets, it *should* over-ride the GameMode version (That was a
          > recent code fix).

          I didn't know that. Thanks I'll be making use of that by moving all biosettings from the gameMode to datasets.

          I see it's indeed mentioned as a note in the Game Mode: biosettings.lst documentation.

          > As to it affecting a class over another, it's mimicking the effects of aging. Your body slows down,
          > you lose muscle mass, and you become more susceptible to illness, disease and injury. In theory with
          > age you've becomesmarter, wiser and somehow more charming. As a paramedic I can assure you that the
          > effects of aging are quite real. Getting older is hardly an issue in any game unless your gamemaster
          > chooses to span decades of game world time. Considering most games you can go from level 1 to 20 in
          > the span of a few months, I don't see age as a great equalizer. -6 to Physical Stats for a measly +3
          > to Mental Stats. (Your Str 8 Wizard is now a Str 2 Wizard vs your Str 20 Fighter is now a Str 14).
          > Though why your fighter is out adventuring in his old age is beyond me... :P

          I prefer the idea of Cohen the Veteran Barbarian from Discworld for an aged melee type fighter. Some of that could be modelled by levels of course.

          A polymorph based wizard or wildshape based druid can get a real advantage from using higher age categories.

          As I said, I basically don't like how D&D's age categories make an existing power balance even worse, while in fantasy fiction there are also counter examples they could have used instead. Even Gandalf could arguably be used as a counter example although he's more of an Outsider.