Custom name files

  • madartiste
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi, I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but this seemed like the place to go for things that involve custom files.

      I made some custom .NAM files following the directions from the readme file in the names folder. However, I seem to be stumped on how to get these files to show up in the dropdown list for the random name generator. Even when I put them in the names folder, they don't show up. Is there a .lst file (or other file) that I need to add these to? Any help would be much appreciated.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013

        I've never used the name files. But did you restart pcgen?

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2013
          Yep. I definitely restarted it, but I also think I answered my own question.
          I'm not sure that the .NAM files do much of anything (I couldn't figure it out, frankly), but if you look under plugins>Random Names there's a bunch of XML files that contain the stuff that's from the dropdown menus. I just used one as a template (though I saved it as a new file) and put in my own stuff.
          It really wasn't terribly difficult (even with my rusty XML skills) and works great!
          Thank you for attempting to answer, however. Any help is always appreciated!

          > I've never used the name files. But did you restart pcgen?
          >
          > On 2/19/2013 7:27 PM, madartiste wrote:
          > > Hi, I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but this seemed like the place to go for things that involve custom files.
          > >
          > > I made some custom .NAM files following the directions from the readme file in the names folder. However, I seem to be stumped on how to get these files to show up in the dropdown list for the random name generator. Even when I put them in the names folder, they don't show up. Is there a .lst file (or other file) that I need to add these to? Any help would be much appreciated.

          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
            Greetings,
            I've never used the name files myself either, but am surprised that they are xml.

            A general question then, what was the rationale behind making these xml rather than the usual .lst format? Just curious really, everything else is real easy to edit. Or was this a sneaky developer plan to show how easily we could use xml instead? :-)

            Cheers
            Dave

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
              I'm obviously not one of the development team or anything, but my sneaking suspicion is that it has to do with how the random name plugin was coded. I guess, since it's a plugin rather than the main software, it must've been either easier to use XML or simply the only way to make it work. Hopefully on of the coders can chime in and give us a definitive answer, though. :)

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013

                Flagging for James to weigh in.

                On 2/21/2013 7:42 AM, madartiste wrote:
                > I'm obviously not one of the development team or anything, but my sneaking suspicion is that it has to do with how the random name plugin was coded. I guess, since it's a plugin rather than the main software, it must've been either easier to use XML or simply the only way to make it work. Hopefully on of the coders can chime in and give us a definitive answer, though. :)
                >
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
                >> Greetings,
                >> I've never used the name files myself either, but am surprised that they are xml.
                >>
                >> A general question then, what was the rationale behind making these xml rather than the usual .lst format? Just curious really, everything else is real easy to edit. Or was this a sneaky developer plan to show how easily we could use xml instead? :-)
                >>
                >> Cheers
                >> Dave
                >>
                >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" <madartiste@> wrote:
                >>> Yep. I definitely restarted it, but I also think I answered my own question.
                >>> I'm not sure that the .NAM files do much of anything (I couldn't figure it out, frankly), but if you look under plugins>Random Names there's a bunch of XML files that contain the stuff that's from the dropdown menus. I just used one as a template (though I saved it as a new file) and put in my own stuff.
                >>> It really wasn't terribly difficult (even with my rusty XML skills) and works great!
                >>> Thank you for attempting to answer, however. Any help is always appreciated!

              • Andrew Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                  On 21 February 2013 09:38, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                  > A general question then, what was the rationale behind making these xml
                  > rather than the usual .lst format? Just curious really, everything else is
                  > real easy to edit. Or was this a sneaky developer plan to show how easily
                  > we could use xml instead? :-)

                  My guess would be that the person who implemented the feature wanted the
                  project to use xml. they decided to use it in the bit they were adding.

                  andrew

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013

                    Yes they are XML. As part of the work on the new UI we switched from the
                    old .nam file based random name generator to the richer one provided by
                    GMGen.

                    All of the GMGen config is in XML as it is a developer written thing.
                    Devon created it separately to PCGen and then gifted to the project.

                    The old .nam format comes from a standalone name generator created on
                    the unix platform perhaps 20 or more years ago. It was hacked for PCGen
                    about 10 years ago to include some more flexibility. However it is still
                    very inflexible and after examining the old definitions closely I don't
                    think a few of them were working the way the authors intended. The .nam
                    files are no longer used in any way. It has no relation to lst either.

                    Since the 6.0 release I've ported all of the old .nam files over to the
                    new system (i.e. to xml). You can see them in 6.1.1 and they will be in
                    the next production patch. See http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1861
                    for details.

                    Cheers,.
                    James.

                    On 22/02/2013 6:55 AM Andrew wrote

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                      Sweet!
                      Thanks, James. I appreciate the candidness. Is there any chance we can get a readme file or something so that people who want to add their own name files have a place to start? I wouldn't have had any idea what files to be looking in if I hadn't found the Random Names folder by accident. Maybe it's obvious to other folks and I'm just kinda dense, but I had a bit of trouble figuring out where to look. Granted, once I actually found those XML files, they're pretty easy to work with. :)
                      Either way, thank's for weighing in!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
                        Thanks for that James, always helps to understand the initial rationale behind such things.