Re: CONSCORE .BASE?

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2013
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > On 2/10/2013 5:14 PM, rogerwllco wrote:
      > > Ok, except for having to change all monsters in all sources so they explicitly have TYPE=Racial, this could be a way forward. I'm not sure if I fully understand the use of .REPLACE.
      >
      > .REPLACE from the documentation -
      >
      > *Bonus Type:* .REPLACE
      >
      > *What it Does:*
      >
      > * This is subtype of the TYPE= standard type.
      > * .REPLACE items are counted together to determine the final value of a particular TYPE.
      >
      > *Examples:*
      >
      > |BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|3|TYPE=Luck.REPLACE
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|2|TYPE=Luck.REPLACE
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|4|TYPE=Luck
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|2|TYPE=Luck|
      >
      > This would take the 2 and 3 with the .REPLACE (total 5) and compares it to the standards, which are
      > 2 and 4, and takes the highest value, for 5.
      >
      > |BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|1|TYPE=Luck.REPLACE
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|1|TYPE=Luck.REPLACE
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|2|TYPE=Luck.REPLACE
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|2|TYPE=Luck
      > BONUS:SKILL|Bluff,Listen|6|TYPE=Luck|
      >
      > This would take the values from the .REPLACE (total 4), and compares it to the standards, which are
      > 2 and 6, and takes the highest value, for 6.

      Thanks for explaining that. I had not understood that it works like that. It basically makes it useless for my purposes. I can't think of how this can be used, but I might think of something in the future.

      > Onto the next portion:
      >
      > Hypothetical Half-Orc 10 Str +2 from Half-Orc template: 12 Str
      > Polymorphed into a Troll 10 Str +12 from Troll template: 22 Str
      > Polymorphed into a Halfling 10 Str -2 from Halfling template: 8 Str
      >

      > Is the troll strength derived from Size gain or straight bonus? Troll Size Large, Orc - size Medium.
      > Size Changes need to be considered if the polymorph template actually changes the size.
      >
      > Otherwise, looks fine thus far.

      The numbers were just an example to illustrate what I'm trying to accomplish. I can not get this to work, at least in 5.14, unless I add another template "Remove Half-Orc Strength" before applying either the Troll or Halfling template.
      Adding TYPE=Racial to everything would fix part of the problem, but I don't think it would make the halfling template work, as it would pick the Half-Orc Strength as it's 4 higher.

      > For magic items, regardless of outcome, they still work. TYPE=Enhancement or various other TYPEs are
      > appropriately assigned in the magic items.

      I'll have to check that for all CMP and homebrew datasets...

      > As far as the .REPLACE - no, I'd argue that you might want to make the Polymorph be a list of
      > ABILITIES - as you can disallow taking more than one of those, !PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
      > Ability,TYPE=Polymorph, can't do that with Templates as they don't use TYPE.

      I'm not worried about having more than one of the polymorph templates applied. My problem is how to have a BONUS:STAT|STR|2|TYPE=Racial
      stack with BONUS:STAT|STR|-2|TYPE=Racial in such a way that the end result is -2.

      > The only issue I do see, is there is no 'kill switch' to disable Racial Stats. You would need to go
      > through all the races and add a kill switch to disable their racial stats.
      >
      > There are two methods to accomplish this.
      >
      > 1) Ask Code for a method to turn off any racial 'BONUS:STAT'; OR
      > 2) Place a PRExxx on all BONUS:STAT tags
      >
      > You can accomplish #2 today.
      >
      > BONUS:STAT|x|y|PREVARLT:DisableRacialStat,1
      >
      > Then in your Polymorph Template place 'DEFINE:DisableRacialStat|1'

      Ugh, sounds very complicated and a lot of work. I'm not even sure I fully understand your solution, but usually your explanations are just enough that when implementing I start to understand the details.

      If I understand correctly, you're suggesting to add PREVARLT:DisableRacialStat,1 instead of TYPE=Racial to all STATs for all monsters and then using that as a kill switch in the polymorph templates. I might need to change it to have DisableRacialStr, DisableRacialDex, DisableRacialCon, etc.

      It's why I was originally looking at the XXXSCORE and XXXSCORE.BASE to see if I could use those instead. Without code changes there doesn't seem to be a way to figure out which part of the difference between those two is due to Racial changes. There is no XXXSCORE.Racial or something like that.

      > If you ask nicely, I'll even implement it in our core files. ;)

      I'll answer that somewhere else.

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2013

        Yeah, frequent distractions keep the explanations from becoming way to verbose.

        So, a simple solution:

        Halfling
        BONUS:STAT|STR|-2|TYPE=Racial|PREVARLT:DisableRacialStat,1
        BONUS:STAT|DEX|2|TYPE=Racial|PREVARLT:DisableRacialStat,1

        This says, give -2 to Strength and +2 to Dexterity, unless the value of DisableRacialStat is not 0.

        Now, since Polymorph completely removes your previous Racial Stats, this is how you remove all of
        them in one fell swoop.

        Template Polymorph
        DEFINE:DisableRacialStat|1
        (We've now enabled the removal of the Race Granted Stats, this will remove all Racially granted
        Stats - okay, in all seriousness, only the ones we place the PREVARLT deal on, but this is the gist).
        Now, I'm then suggesting your Polymorph Template have:
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Polymorph Selection|1

        You then have your Polymorph Selections of

        Orc, Troll, Etc...

        Those are represented as abilities in the pool

        Orc
        KEY:Orc ~ Polymorph Racial
        TYPE:PolymorphSelection.SpecialQuality
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        DESC:You've assumed the racial abilities of an orc granting you blah, foo and blah.
        BONUS:STAT|STR|2|TYPE=Racial
        BONUS:STAT|CON|2|TYPE=Racial
        BONUS:STAT|CHA|-2|TYPE=Racial

        And if you're looking to add other things, you can do:
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|TYPE=OrcRacialDefault

        Which if you set up Orc Racial Abilities with 'TYPE=OrcRacialDefault', will then add them. Just
        depends on how much you want to accomplish.

        Now, when you take your Orc, you get +2 to Str & Con, and -2 to Cha. It still shows up as a Racial
        Stat, thanks to the 'TYPE=Racial' appended, and you don't have to concern yourself with which base
        race stats you have to negate. It's a rather elegant solution for what you need and actually handles
        one of the aspects of polymorph. Removing the Racial abilities, can be accomplished in much the same
        way, though I'd recommend another Variable Name - like 'DisableRacialAbilities'.

        I hope that makes a little more sense.

        Cheers,