Re: Using .FORGET or .MOD on Kits

  • madartiste
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
      Hi Maredudd,
      Thank you for the information. It's good to know why things weren't working with the Kit files.
      Sadly, using .FORGET on races (since they don't exist in the setting I'm working on) is what is causing my issues because it then throws up errors because the Kit file is referencing those races... I fear I may be stuck from the sounds of it.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013

        Couple of options:

        New Campaign File PCC -

        Grab the files you want, exclude the kits. Should get around the errors.

        Second idea:

        New race file. .MOD the races that don't exist - Use VISIBLE:NO, should hide them from view.

        Cheers,

        On 1/30/2013 7:15 AM, madartiste wrote:
        > Hi Maredudd,
        > Thank you for the information. It's good to know why things weren't working with the Kit files.
        > Sadly, using .FORGET on races (since they don't exist in the setting I'm working on) is what is causing my issues because it then throws up errors because the Kit file is referencing those races... I fear I may be stuck from the sounds of it.
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Maredudd wrote:
        >> Hi mad artiste,
        >>
        >> I checked the docs and it looks like .MOD doesn't work with kit files. It maybe then that .FORGET won't either.
        >>
        >> In any case, .MOD, .COPY, and .FORGET do work with race files so if you want to change the races that is where you should start.
        >>
        >> Maredudd
        >>
        >> On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:08 PM, "madartiste" wrote:
        >>
        >>> Is it possible to use .FORGET or .MOD on kits? I need to clear out a few base races in pathfinder that don't exist in the particular setting I'm working on, but using .FORGET on them throws up errors because the races are referenced in the PF Core book kits_racial_traits.lst file. I figured I could just use .FORGET on the kits, but that doesn't seem to be working.
        >>>
        >>> STARTPACK=Kit I Want to Forget.FORGET doesn't give me any errors, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I even tried it with .MOD and tried to change the RACE section so it no longer referenced the removed race -- but that didn't work either.
        >>>
        >>> Alternatively, is there a way to make it so those races I need to remove aren't visible? Obviously, VISIBLE:NO throws up an error when used in the race lst file.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks for the help!

      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013

          Andrew schrieb:
          > New Campaign File PCC -
          >
          > Grab the files you want, exclude the kits. Should get around the errors.

          should get rid of the errors, but gets rid of the kits for the races that should
          be supported aswell. Or you will have to re-add those kits in a new kit file,
          which means duplicating code, with all the potential problems.

          > Second idea:
          >
          > New race file. .MOD the races that don't exist - Use VISIBLE:NO, should hide them from view.

          Sounds like the better path to me, though the kits (default monster kits) will
          stay visible. Might be less painful to the user though, as the default monsters
          usually are only created by the DM.

          From where I stand this looks like a feature request (.MOD for kits if that's
          possible, or at least .FORGET for kits) should be submittet.

          Susan
        • madartiste
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
            Well, VISIBLE:NO doesn't seem to work for races -- I'm getting an illegal token error. The documentation doesn't indicate that VISIBLE can be used in the race lst file at all -- which is a bit of a bummer in this case.

            The other advice, I have to confess, never occurred to me. It *would* be pretty easy to just call the PFCR files I need in my PCC and skip the ones I don't. Thanks for the advice!

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Andrew schrieb:
            > > New Campaign File PCC -
            > >
            > > Grab the files you want, exclude the kits. Should get around the errors.
            >
            > should get rid of the errors, but gets rid of the kits for the races that should
            > be supported aswell. Or you will have to re-add those kits in a new kit file,
            > which means duplicating code, with all the potential problems.
            >
            > > Second idea:
            > >
            > > New race file. .MOD the races that don't exist - Use VISIBLE:NO, should hide them from view.
            >
            > Sounds like the better path to me, though the kits (default monster kits) will
            > stay visible. Might be less painful to the user though, as the default monsters
            > usually are only created by the DM.
            >
            > From where I stand this looks like a feature request (.MOD for kits if that's
            > possible, or at least .FORGET for kits) should be submittet.
            >
            > Susan

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
              Greetings,

              Drew previously advised me to add a PREVAR on the races I didn't want using .MOD. (define a var as zero and PREVAR the races to need that var set to more than 0...)

              It doesnt exclude them from the list in the GUI, but it puts them in red and stops you selecting them at least. Cant recall if the 'qualified' filter button has made it onto the races screen yet (was JIRA'd).

              Sounds like a JIRA to request 'VISIBLE' be enabled for race would be useful.

              Cheers
              Dave

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:

              > Well, VISIBLE:NO doesn't seem to work for races -- I'm getting an illegal token error. The documentation doesn't indicate that VISIBLE can be used in the race lst file at all -- which is a bit of a bummer in this case.
              >
              > The other advice, I have to confess, never occurred to me. It *would* be pretty easy to just call the PFCR files I need in my PCC and skip the ones I don't. Thanks for the advice!
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Andrew schrieb:
              > > > New Campaign File PCC -
              > > >
              > > > Grab the files you want, exclude the kits. Should get around the errors.
              > >
              > > should get rid of the errors, but gets rid of the kits for the races that should
              > > be supported aswell. Or you will have to re-add those kits in a new kit file,
              > > which means duplicating code, with all the potential problems.
              > >
              > > > Second idea:
              > > >
              > > > New race file. .MOD the races that don't exist - Use VISIBLE:NO, should hide them from view.
              > >
              > > Sounds like the better path to me, though the kits (default monster kits) will
              > > stay visible. Might be less painful to the user though, as the default monsters
              > > usually are only created by the DM.
              > >
              > > From where I stand this looks like a feature request (.MOD for kits if that's
              > > possible, or at least .FORGET for kits) should be submittet.
              > >
              > > Susan

            • madartiste
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013
                Hi, Dave,
                Thanks! That sounds actually very reasonable. If there's a chance that VISIBLE will be enabled for races in the future, it would probably suit my purposes. Should *I* submit the JIRA request? I've put up a bug I was having trouble with (at Drew's request) -- is a feature request a different process? Thanks!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2013

                  Bug Reports and Feature Requests follow the same format. I'm glad people remember my good ideas.

                  On 1/31/2013 7:27 AM, madartiste wrote:
                  > Hi, Dave,
                  > Thanks! That sounds actually very reasonable. If there's a chance that VISIBLE will be enabled for races in the future, it would probably suit my purposes. Should *I* submit the JIRA request? I've put up a bug I was having trouble with (at Drew's request) -- is a feature request a different process? Thanks!
                  >
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
                  >> Greetings,
                  >>
                  >> Drew previously advised me to add a PREVAR on the races I didn't want using .MOD. (define a var as zero and PREVAR the races to need that var set to more than 0...)
                  >>
                  >> It doesnt exclude them from the list in the GUI, but it puts them in red and stops you selecting them at least. Cant recall if the 'qualified' filter button has made it onto the races screen yet (was JIRA'd).
                  >>
                  >> Sounds like a JIRA to request 'VISIBLE' be enabled for race would be useful.
                  >>
                  >> Cheers
                  >> Dave
                  >>
                  >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
                  >>> Well, VISIBLE:NO doesn't seem to work for races -- I'm getting an illegal token error. The documentation doesn't indicate that VISIBLE can be used in the race lst file at all -- which is a bit of a bummer in this case.
                  >>>
                  >>> The other advice, I have to confess, never occurred to me. It *would* be pretty easy to just call the PFCR files I need in my PCC and skip the ones I don't. Thanks for the advice!

                • FerretDave
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1 1:56 AM
                    Greetings,
                    Only problem is, there are too many good ideas, and I lose track of half of them!
                    At least half your forum responses should go into a FAQ...

                    Cheers

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1 7:21 AM

                      Well, if you want to be official "Good Ideas and FAQ guy" We can set you up to add things to the
                      WIKI. ;) Always enjoy the extra hands helping out.