Re: Using CHOOSE in the diety lst

  • madartiste
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
      The documentation indicates that MULT is only to be used in ability and feat files, and if I try to use it in the deity file, it throws up an illegal token error.
      Do you mean that I need to make ANOTHER feat or ability that's automatic for the deity and put the choose option in there?

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Barak wrote:

      > Do you have a MULT:YES on the line with the CHOOSE? It is required...
      > On Jan 24, 2013 7:07 PM, "madartiste" wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I seem to be having trouble getting CHOOSE to work in my custom diety lst
      > > file. The IK setting offers some choices among abilities and/or weapon
      > > proficiencies for clerics who follow a particular deity. Is it even
      > > possibly to put the CHOOSE tag in there or would it be better to move it
      > > into the classes file under a cleric MOD? Currently, I'm getting no errors
      > > in my code, but no choice ever pops up.
      > > Thanks!

    • thpr
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:

        > The documentation indicates that MULT is only to be used in ability and feat files, and if I try to use it in the deity file, it throws up an illegal token error.
        > Do you mean that I need to make ANOTHER feat or ability that's automatic for the deity and put the choose option in there?

        CHOOSE is supported in Ability/Feat, Template, Race, and Domain files, not Deity files.

        So yes, it would have to be an automatic feat from the Deity and a CHOOSE placed there.

        TP.
      • madartiste
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
          Sounds good to me. I had wondered if that would be the correct way to do it. Thanks.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:

          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
          > >
          > > The documentation indicates that MULT is only to be used in ability and feat files, and if I try to use it in the deity file, it throws up an illegal token error.
          > > Do you mean that I need to make ANOTHER feat or ability that's automatic for the deity and put the choose option in there?
          > >

          > CHOOSE is supported in Ability/Feat, Template, Race, and Domain files, not Deity files.
          >
          > So yes, it would have to be an automatic feat from the Deity and a CHOOSE placed there.
          >
          > TP.

        • madartiste
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
            I made a new feat that had the choose in it, but now I'm getting this error:
            19:24:24.668 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Dhunia Benefit where a target [parens] is required

            I haven't been able to figure out what that means... Any help you can give would be appreciated.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:

            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
            > >
            > > The documentation indicates that MULT is only to be used in ability and feat files, and if I try to use it in the deity file, it throws up an illegal token error.
            > > Do you mean that I need to make ANOTHER feat or ability that's automatic for the deity and put the choose option in there?
            > >

            > CHOOSE is supported in Ability/Feat, Template, Race, and Domain files, not Deity files.
            >
            > So yes, it would have to be an automatic feat from the Deity and a CHOOSE placed there.
            >
            > TP.

          • thpr
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
              Ah, so actually it can't be automatic, it has to be virtual. Small nuance, but here's the issue:

              ABILITY as a token takes a resolved ability, something like:
              Weapon Focus (Longsword)

              Note the (Longsword) part indicating a choice has already been taken.

              If you want to award an Ability and force the user to take a choice, ABILITY won't work.

              What you can do is use ADD:ABILITY (The ADD: token forces the choice by a user)

              So:
              ADD:ABILITY|MyCategory|VIRTUAL|MyAbility

              This will cause a chooser to appear for the user, and the item to be selected.

              The alternative, which I suspect some in the data team might suggest, would be to use an Ability pool. YMMV.

              TP.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 25, 2013
                Hi,

                Yeah, those silly data monkeys would wholly say that using an ABILITYPOOL would be the correct way
                to go. ;)

                Deity Line

                BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|WhateverYouWantToCallThis|1

                # Ability Category File
                ABILITYCATEGORY:WhateverYouWantToCallThis
                CATEGORY:Special Ability
                TYPE:GroupTypeYouWantToUse
                VISIBLE:QUALIFY
                EDITABLE:YES
                DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities

                Then either .MOD things to have the GroupType, or make abilities with the Group Type you want
                available. Looking at the original post it was vague.

                Cheers,

                On 1/25/2013 4:38 PM, thpr wrote:
                > Ah, so actually it can't be automatic, it has to be virtual. Small nuance, but here's the issue:
                >
                > ABILITY as a token takes a resolved ability, something like:
                > Weapon Focus (Longsword)
                >
                > Note the (Longsword) part indicating a choice has already been taken.
                >
                > If you want to award an Ability and force the user to take a choice, ABILITY won't work.
                >
                > What you can do is use ADD:ABILITY (The ADD: token forces the choice by a user)
                >
                > So:
                > ADD:ABILITY|MyCategory|VIRTUAL|MyAbility
                >
                > This will cause a chooser to appear for the user, and the item to be selected.
                >
                > The alternative, which I suspect some in the data team might suggest, would be to use an Ability pool. YMMV.
                >
                > TP.
                >

                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
                >> I made a new feat that had the choose in it, but now I'm getting this error:
                >> 19:24:24.668 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Dhunia Benefit where a target [parens] is required
                >>
                >> I haven't been able to figure out what that means... Any help you can give would be appreciated.
                >>
                >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" wrote:
                >>>>
                >>> CHOOSE is supported in Ability/Feat, Template, Race, and Domain files, not Deity files.
                >>>
                >>> So yes, it would have to be an automatic feat from the Deity and a CHOOSE placed there.
                >>>
                >>> TP.

              • madartiste
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Ah! Okay. This makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
                  This takes care of the ability problems, but I'm a bit curious if something similar can be done with feats? I got the "target [parens] is required" error when I tried to make either an ability or a feat that lets you CHOOSE.

                  Mostly I'm asking since I'm working off of some files that other people started and they happened to have made two of the "abilities" as feats. (Or rather, they mentioned two of the choices as feats in OTHER feats as PRE requirements, though they didn't actually code up the required feats themselves -- if that makes ANY sense... :) )

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Yeah, those silly data monkeys would wholly say that using an ABILITYPOOL would be the correct way
                  > to go. ;)
                  >
                  > Deity Line
                  >
                  > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|WhateverYouWantToCallThis|1
                  >
                  > # Ability Category File
                  > ABILITYCATEGORY:WhateverYouWantToCallThis
                  > CATEGORY:Special Ability
                  > TYPE:GroupTypeYouWantToUse
                  > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
                  > EDITABLE:YES
                  > DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
                  >

                  > Then either .MOD things to have the GroupType, or make abilities with the Group Type you want
                  > available. Looking at the original post it was vague.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > On 1/25/2013 4:38 PM, thpr wrote:
                  > > Ah, so actually it can't be automatic, it has to be virtual. Small nuance, but here's the issue:
                  > >
                  > > ABILITY as a token takes a resolved ability, something like:
                  > > Weapon Focus (Longsword)
                  > >
                  > > Note the (Longsword) part indicating a choice has already been taken.
                  > >
                  > > If you want to award an Ability and force the user to take a choice, ABILITY won't work.
                  > >
                  > > What you can do is use ADD:ABILITY (The ADD: token forces the choice by a user)
                  > >
                  > > So:
                  > > ADD:ABILITY|MyCategory|VIRTUAL|MyAbility
                  > >
                  > > This will cause a chooser to appear for the user, and the item to be selected.
                  > >
                  > > The alternative, which I suspect some in the data team might suggest, would be to use an Ability pool. YMMV.
                  > >
                  > > TP.
                  > >

                  > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
                  > >> I made a new feat that had the choose in it, but now I'm getting this error:
                  > >> 19:24:24.668 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Dhunia Benefit where a target [parens] is required
                  > >>
                  > >> I haven't been able to figure out what that means... Any help you can give would be appreciated.

                  > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                  > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                • madartiste
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Oh, I think I might have discovered my answer, based on what was said previously... It looks like ADD:VFEAT might do what I need. I'll have to give it a try.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Hi,

                      My solution should cover feats as well. I'd point you to look at how a monk is set up.

                      Make a list of all the things that should be allowed, be it feat, ability or whatever. If it's a
                      crazy long list of Feats, then have one ability be:
                      'Add Allowed Feat' and have it either grant a bonus to the feat pool, or if it's a limited Feat
                      selection, make another ABILITYPOOL. If those feats have PRExxx that you can bypass, like a monk,
                      then don't do the second feat pool, and instead Call the Ability the feat, then have the FEAT called
                      by AUTO:FEAT|x or VFEAT:x

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Okay, that's cool. Thanks for all the help!
                        I'll definitely scope out the monk too to get a handle on how the ability pools work.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                          So, do PRE tags not work with ADD:FEAT/ABILITY? I thought I would give it a try to see how it worked, but kept getting errors when I added a PRECLASS tag.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                            Hi,

                            PRExxx does not work on ADD tags.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                              The ability pool worked great! Thanks so much!
                              And now I have two more questions! Sorry. :)

                              First, how do I reference a character's total hit die? I noticed there are variables for HD (which doesn't include class levels) and TL (which includes monster, npc, and pc classes). Would something like TL+HD work out or would that double up on any monster HD the character might have?

                              And second, one of the abilities for being a cleric of a particular evil god includes a permanent penalty to constitution of -1 at EVERY level above 5th. I'm not quite sure how to set that up so that it reoccurs at every level...

                              Thanks so much for putting up with all the questions. You folks are awesome.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                                Hi,

                                It's proper nettiquette to start a new thread when you have a new question.

                                TL = Total Levels (Includes HD)
                                HD = Hit Die (No Class Levels)

                                If you did HD+TL I'd imagine it would double the HD.

                                Is this a cleric class you made?

                                6:REPEATLEVEL:1 BONUS:STAT|CON|-1
                                Would work; or

                                6 BONUS:STAT|CON|-(CL-5)

                                or if this is meant to be *any* class then you'll need to set up an ability

                                Debilitating Evil
                                Blah
                                BONUS:STAT|CON|-(TL-5)

                                Cheers,

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  D'oh! Yes, that's terrible form not to start a new topic! Mea Culpa, everyone!
                                  Ah... So TL includes HD after all. I wasn't clear on that, thanks!
                                  It's not a class I made -- exactly -- it's a feature of the Iron Kingdoms setting that I'm putting into PCGen (Being the cleric of a particularly evil dragon god has some side effects, apparently). BONUS:STAT|CON|-(TL-5) should work great with a PRECLASS tag so it only goes to clerics of 5th level or higher...
                                  Thanks so much! Next time I'll be more wise and start a new topic, I promise.