Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Equipment mod lst questions

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
      As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
      different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
      one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.

      So we.define them to 0 to make life easy.
      On Jan 21, 2013 4:07 PM, "Doug Limmer" <adventure@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking you; I'm just confused and
      > frustrated.
      >
      > On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
      > >
      > > Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm
      > > going to skim
      > > reply since I'm at work.
      > >
      > > Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus,
      > > or set up a
      > > formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes
      > > that up. So
      > > DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come
      > > after. Trust
      > > me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily
      > > negate a
      > > DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is
      > > set up
      > > to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.
      > >
      > It's unclear to me how DEFINE not being 0 messes this up. Could you
      > give me an example?
      >

      > > DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for
      > > things
      > > that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
      > > 10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.
      > >
      > Except that Monster DCs can be changed by feats; the Ability Focus feat
      > does precisely that.
      >
      > > Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under
      > > Content/Data
      > > Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One
      > > of these
      > > days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto
      > > the wiki.
      > > But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one
      > > thing, two
      > > more spring up.
      > >
      > I might be able to work on this. The discussion probably belongs on the
      > main pcgen list, though.
      >
      > DS/DL

    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
        On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
        > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
        > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
        > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
        The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?

        DS/DL
      • thpr
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer wrote:

          > On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
          > > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
          > > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
          > > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
          > The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?
          >
          > DS/DL

          The docs are correct.
        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
            On 1/21/2013 6:02 PM, Andrew wrote:

            > While you wait, feel free to do a test for me. Let me know the result
            > of this cause I'm curious how
            > PCGen will end result it:
            >
            > In one object put:
            > DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
            >
            > In another Object put:
            > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
            >
            > It's basic and simple. Let me know if the answer is 15, which I'm
            > thinking us logical monkeys are
            > expecting, or 20.
            >
            > Then a second test to build upon the first:
            > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)
            >
            > Just for kicks and giggles. Let me know the outcomes of those.

            Here are the results. [Done in Pathfinder, in 6.0.0. Windows 7, if it
            makes a difference.]

            Defined 3 feats:
            Monkey Define
            TYPE:General
            DESC:Your monkey fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
            DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
            Monkey Bonus Flat
            TYPE:General
            DESC:Flat Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
            BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
            Monkey Bonus Level
            TYPE:General
            DESC:Level Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
            BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)

            Made a 1st-level dwarf fighter. Gave it the Monkey Define feat.
            Displayed value: 20
            Leveled up to 3rd level (getting another feat). Gave it the Monkey
            Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
            Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat, added the Monkey Bonus Level feat.
            Displayed value: 45
            Leveled up to 4th level. Displayed value: 55
            Leveled up to 5th level (getting another feat). Displayed value: 65
            Gave it the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 60
            Took off the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 15
            Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 20
            Added the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
            Added the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 60

            The displayed value was always the same between all three feats.

            It seems like it's all working as I would expect. Is there something
            else to watch out for? Should I upload the PCC and LST files, for
            others to double-check?

            DS/DL