Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Equipment mod lst questions

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
      I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking you; I'm just confused and
      frustrated.

      On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:

      > Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm
      > going to skim
      > reply since I'm at work.
      >
      > Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus,
      > or set up a
      > formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes
      > that up. So
      > DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come
      > after. Trust
      > me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily
      > negate a
      > DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is
      > set up
      > to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.

      It's unclear to me how DEFINE not being 0 messes this up. Could you
      give me an example?

      > DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for
      > things
      > that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
      > 10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.

      Except that Monster DCs can be changed by feats; the Ability Focus feat
      does precisely that.

      > Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under
      > Content/Data
      > Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One
      > of these
      > days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto
      > the wiki.
      > But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one
      > thing, two
      > more spring up.

      I might be able to work on this. The discussion probably belongs on the
      main pcgen list, though.

      DS/DL

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
        Hi Folks!

        A quick note on LST Standards . . .

        We do have a page in the docs that contains a good set of standards for LST coding and it would likely be a good place to consolidate them there. Look at the "Official Release LST standards" under "List Files" on the main index.

        Andrew, and Barak, if you have no objection I can consolidate what is on the wiki into the docs as appropriate.

        Maredudd

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
          Greetings,

          Just a thought on that - in the 'basics' section it indicates tab should *never* be the first character... well, we've now got an option for that for multi line definitions.

          The filenames bit could probably do with abilities adding too.

          Define as zero is already mentioned in there :-)

          Cheers
          Dave

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013

            I'm fine with you consolidating things Eric.

            Also, the truth is the first line should never be a Tab, ever. The Multilines with following tabs
            doesn't break that rule, but it's an exception to the rule. You still need a NON-Tab Thing before
            the tabs on subsequent lines can be used.

            As to explaining DEFINE. When I'm not sick, at work and trying not to fall asleep I'll be happy to
            go into the nitty gritty nuanced details of why DEFINE is 0 and not used for Stacking. Unless
            another monkey wishes to jump in and explain.

            While you wait, feel free to do a test for me. Let me know the result of this cause I'm curious how
            PCGen will end result it:

            In one object put:
            DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20

            In another Object put:
            BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5

            It's basic and simple. Let me know if the answer is 15, which I'm thinking us logical monkeys are
            expecting, or 20.

            Then a second test to build upon the first:
            BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)

            Just for kicks and giggles. Let me know the outcomes of those.

            (And off to another call... whee!)

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
              As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
              different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
              one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.

              So we.define them to 0 to make life easy.
              On Jan 21, 2013 4:07 PM, "Doug Limmer" <adventure@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking you; I'm just confused and
              > frustrated.
              >
              > On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
              > >
              > > Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm
              > > going to skim
              > > reply since I'm at work.
              > >
              > > Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus,
              > > or set up a
              > > formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes
              > > that up. So
              > > DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come
              > > after. Trust
              > > me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily
              > > negate a
              > > DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is
              > > set up
              > > to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.
              > >
              > It's unclear to me how DEFINE not being 0 messes this up. Could you
              > give me an example?
              >

              > > DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for
              > > things
              > > that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
              > > 10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.
              > >
              > Except that Monster DCs can be changed by feats; the Ability Focus feat
              > does precisely that.
              >
              > > Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under
              > > Content/Data
              > > Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One
              > > of these
              > > days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto
              > > the wiki.
              > > But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one
              > > thing, two
              > > more spring up.
              > >
              > I might be able to work on this. The discussion probably belongs on the
              > main pcgen list, though.
              >
              > DS/DL

            • Doug Limmer
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
                > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
                > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
                > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
                The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?

                DS/DL
              • thpr
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer wrote:

                  > On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
                  > > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
                  > > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
                  > > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
                  > The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?
                  >
                  > DS/DL

                  The docs are correct.
                • Doug Limmer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                    On 1/21/2013 6:02 PM, Andrew wrote:

                    > While you wait, feel free to do a test for me. Let me know the result
                    > of this cause I'm curious how
                    > PCGen will end result it:
                    >
                    > In one object put:
                    > DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
                    >
                    > In another Object put:
                    > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
                    >
                    > It's basic and simple. Let me know if the answer is 15, which I'm
                    > thinking us logical monkeys are
                    > expecting, or 20.
                    >
                    > Then a second test to build upon the first:
                    > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)
                    >
                    > Just for kicks and giggles. Let me know the outcomes of those.

                    Here are the results. [Done in Pathfinder, in 6.0.0. Windows 7, if it
                    makes a difference.]

                    Defined 3 feats:
                    Monkey Define
                    TYPE:General
                    DESC:Your monkey fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                    DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
                    Monkey Bonus Flat
                    TYPE:General
                    DESC:Flat Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                    BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
                    Monkey Bonus Level
                    TYPE:General
                    DESC:Level Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                    BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)

                    Made a 1st-level dwarf fighter. Gave it the Monkey Define feat.
                    Displayed value: 20
                    Leveled up to 3rd level (getting another feat). Gave it the Monkey
                    Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
                    Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat, added the Monkey Bonus Level feat.
                    Displayed value: 45
                    Leveled up to 4th level. Displayed value: 55
                    Leveled up to 5th level (getting another feat). Displayed value: 65
                    Gave it the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 60
                    Took off the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 15
                    Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 20
                    Added the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
                    Added the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 60

                    The displayed value was always the same between all three feats.

                    It seems like it's all working as I would expect. Is there something
                    else to watch out for? Should I upload the PCC and LST files, for
                    others to double-check?

                    DS/DL