Re: Equipment mod lst questions

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
      Greetings,
      Just worth noting, previous advise has always been to 'DEFINE' variables at zero first, and then BONUS them to the value you actually want, avoids some sort of potential internal resetting issue or something ;-)

      Cheers
      Dave

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:

      > I think I've figured out that I need to definite a user variable to make #3 happen, but I'm completely stuck on how to actually get it to work. Maybe someone can look at my code and tell me how this should actually look?
      >
      > Mechanikal Assist (AC) KEY:MAAC TYPE:Armor DEFINE:MaacNum|%CHOICE CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=10|TITLE=AC Bonus
      > COST:8000*MaacNum VISIBLE:QUALIFY ITYPE:Mechanikal.Warcaster SOURCEPAGE:pg. 341
      > PRETYPE:4,Masterwork,Armor,Warcaster,Mechanikal BONUS:COMBAT|AC|MAACNUM|TYPE=Armor.STACK BONUS:EQM|WEIGHTADD|3
      > ASSIGNTOALL:YES
      >
      > Basically, the variable MaacNum (just something to call it at the moment) should be equal to whatever number is chosen (from 1 to 10). The AC bonus should be equal to MaacNum and the cost should be 8000 times whatever MaacNum is. Of course, it doesn't actually add to the AC bonus or the cost, so I've obviously got something wrong.
      >
      > I've also tried using %1|MaacNum instead based on things I've seen in the code for other settings, but that didn't work either. I guess I just don't know enough to make this happen on my own.
      >
      > Thanks for taking a look. If someone can help me make this work, I'll be very grateful!
      >
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "madartiste" wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm back with more questions, I'm afraid. Ran into some things that I can't seem to solve. I hope you folks can help me out.
      > >
      > > 1. Can you use an equipment mod to adjust the range increment penalty of JUST the weapon it's attached to?
      > >
      > > 2. Can you use .FORGET to remove equipment mods? I attempted this using the unique KEYs and PCGen threw a fit. It didn't give me any errors when I used the name of the mod, but it didn't do anything. Currently I just have .MOD setting them all to VISIBLE:NO, which works.
      > >
      > > 3. I've got a couple of mods that I need to be able to have a person choose a number and have that number be used to adjust the cost AND other things (AC bonus, MAXDEX bonus, SPELL FAILURE, etc.). I had thought I could use something like %CHOICE, but I guess I don't understand the % variable well enough to make it work. Is there a way to use the chosen value in more than one place in the equipment mod record?
      > >
      > > I'd appreciate any help I can get! Thanks.
      > >
      > > Oh, P.S. If there's anyone out there who's a fan of the d20 Iron Kingdoms setting and would like to help me test my Pathfinder update stuff, just let me know! I'm sure I've got lots of numbers and whatnot wrong somewhere. :)

    • thpr
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
        It avoids putting yourself in a situation where you have:

        DEFINE:Foo|3

        DEFINE:Foo|2

        on two different objects and have to debug why you're getting 3, or not getting 2 or 5 or whatever.

        TP.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > Just worth noting, previous advise has always been to 'DEFINE' variables at zero first, and then BONUS them to the value you actually want, avoids some sort of potential internal resetting issue or something ;-)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Dave

      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
          It seems to me, though, that it can be quite useful at times. For
          instance, different sources of, say, fire resistance don't stack, so
          using DEFINE for that makes sense to me.

          DS/DL

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
            No. Bad. Just NO.

            DEFINE should *always* be ZERO. There are very few exceptions to this standard.

            You want to use the STACKING rules then use TYPE.

            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Deflection
            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Deflection

            What is your deflection bonus?

            BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|5|TYPE=Resistance
            BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|15|TYPE=Resistance

            What is your Fire Resistance Bonus?

            Now, what if someone did DEFINE:FireResistanceBonus|5

            What if your Fire Resistance Bonus now?

            Would you like to be the one to solve the reason why your Resistance Bonus is
            wrong by 5?

            This is why we have standards, so I can know what my results will be every time.

            Andrew

            ________________________________
            It seems to me, though, that it can be quite useful at times. For
            instance, different sources of, say, fire resistance don't stack, so
            using DEFINE for that makes sense to me.

            DS/DL

            On 1/21/2013 11:27 AM, thpr wrote:

            > It avoids putting yourself in a situation where you have:
            >
            > DEFINE:Foo|3
            >
            > DEFINE:Foo|2
            >
            > on two different objects and have to debug why you're getting 3, or
            > not getting 2 or 5 or whatever.
            >
            > TP.
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "FerretDave" wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > > Just worth noting, previous advise has always been to 'DEFINE'
            > variables at zero first, and then BONUS them to the value you actually
            > want, avoids some sort of potential internal resetting issue or
            > something ;-)
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Dave

          • madartiste
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
              Oh wow. This is all very useful stuff!
              I had noted the DEFINE at 0 thing in the documentation, but it's handy to see a little more on why it is that way.
              Thanks for letting me know about %LIST working with variables. I don't know if I'll need it, but it's always good to know these kinds of things.
              Thanks!

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland wrote:

              > No. Bad. Just NO.
              >
              > DEFINE should *always* be ZERO. There are very few exceptions to this standard.
              >
              > You want to use the STACKING rules then use TYPE.
              >
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Deflection
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Deflection
              >
              > What is your deflection bonus?
              >
              > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|5|TYPE=Resistance
              > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|15|TYPE=Resistance
              >

              > What is your Fire Resistance Bonus?
              >
              > Now, what if someone did DEFINE:FireResistanceBonus|5
              >
              > What if your Fire Resistance Bonus now?
              >
              > Would you like to be the one to solve the reason why your Resistance Bonus is
              > wrong by 5?
              >
              > This is why we have standards, so I can know what my results will be every time.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > --
              > Andrew
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Doug Limmer
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                On 1/21/2013 11:56 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:

                > No. Bad. Just NO.

                Why?

                I've seen people set up or suggest DEFINE:X|0, BONUS:VAR|X|3 combos that
                would completely mess up the (no) stacking rules. Why not take
                advantage of the way DEFINE is set up to work?

                Or, if DEFINE should always be zero, why not define the tag as just
                DEFINE:X, and then always set X to zero, without letting a LST writer do
                otherwise?

                Are you suggesting every bonus should have a type, even if there isn't
                one in the source? Because that's what this seems like this requires.

                > You want to use the STACKING rules then use TYPE.

                But don't we always want to use the stacking rules?

                > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Deflection
                > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Deflection
                >
                > What is your deflection bonus?

                Four!

                > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|5|TYPE=Resistance
                > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|15|TYPE=Resistance
                >
                > What is your Fire Resistance Bonus?

                Zero! Because it hasn't been DEFINEd!

                > Now, what if someone did DEFINE:FireResistanceBonus|5
                >
                > What if your Fire Resistance Bonus now?

                Twenty! (Is that hard?)

                Note that everybody that ever defines a fire resistance ability MUST use
                the exact same type, or combining with other abilities will fail. And
                that type, especially for energy resistances, is far from obvious.
                [Resistance bonuses are usually for saving throws.] Why not use DEFINE,
                when it seems to be perfectly set up to take care of that for me,
                without me needing to worry about what TYPE somebody else used?

                > Would you like to be the one to solve the reason why your Resistance
                > Bonus is
                > wrong by 5?

                I've already had to do it.

                > This is why we have standards, so I can know what my results will be
                > every time.

                Where are these standards? I've yet to find a complete list. You've
                mentioned a couple of places before that they're scattered between, but
                do any of them say "always use TYPE=Resistance when using energy
                resistances"? Or have list of a standard TYPEs for other kinds of
                variables? If they do, I haven't seen it.

                DS/DL

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                  Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm going to skim
                  reply since I'm at work.

                  Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus, or set up a
                  formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes that up. So
                  DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come after. Trust
                  me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily negate a
                  DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is set up
                  to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.

                  DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for things
                  that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
                  10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.

                  Your answers below are correct, but only if you aren't granting the Resistance
                  to X ability, otherwise the Base DEFINE is already set to 0 for you.

                  Now if there is a discrepancy in the resistance, then we should address that.

                  Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under Content/Data
                  Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One of these
                  days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto the wiki.
                  But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one thing, two
                  more spring up.

                  --
                  Andrew

                  ________________________________
                  On 1/21/2013 11:56 AM, Andrew Maitland wrote:

                  > No. Bad. Just NO.

                  Why?

                  I've seen people set up or suggest DEFINE:X|0, BONUS:VAR|X|3 combos that
                  would completely mess up the (no) stacking rules. Why not take
                  advantage of the way DEFINE is set up to work?

                  Or, if DEFINE should always be zero, why not define the tag as just
                  DEFINE:X, and then always set X to zero, without letting a LST writer do
                  otherwise?

                  Are you suggesting every bonus should have a type, even if there isn't
                  one in the source? Because that's what this seems like this requires.

                  > You want to use the STACKING rules then use TYPE.

                  But don't we always want to use the stacking rules?

                  > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|4|TYPE=Deflection
                  > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=Deflection
                  >
                  > What is your deflection bonus?

                  Four!

                  > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|5|TYPE=Resistance
                  > BONUS:VAR|FireResistanceBonus|15|TYPE=Resistance
                  >
                  > What is your Fire Resistance Bonus?

                  Zero! Because it hasn't been DEFINEd!

                  > Now, what if someone did DEFINE:FireResistanceBonus|5
                  >
                  > What if your Fire Resistance Bonus now?

                  Twenty! (Is that hard?)

                  Note that everybody that ever defines a fire resistance ability MUST use
                  the exact same type, or combining with other abilities will fail. And
                  that type, especially for energy resistances, is far from obvious.
                  [Resistance bonuses are usually for saving throws.] Why not use DEFINE,
                  when it seems to be perfectly set up to take care of that for me,
                  without me needing to worry about what TYPE somebody else used?

                  > Would you like to be the one to solve the reason why your Resistance
                  > Bonus is
                  > wrong by 5?

                  I've already had to do it.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                    I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking you; I'm just confused and
                    frustrated.

                    On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:

                    > Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm
                    > going to skim
                    > reply since I'm at work.
                    >
                    > Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus,
                    > or set up a
                    > formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes
                    > that up. So
                    > DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come
                    > after. Trust
                    > me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily
                    > negate a
                    > DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is
                    > set up
                    > to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.

                    It's unclear to me how DEFINE not being 0 messes this up. Could you
                    give me an example?

                    > DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for
                    > things
                    > that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
                    > 10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.

                    Except that Monster DCs can be changed by feats; the Ability Focus feat
                    does precisely that.

                    > Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under
                    > Content/Data
                    > Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One
                    > of these
                    > days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto
                    > the wiki.
                    > But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one
                    > thing, two
                    > more spring up.

                    I might be able to work on this. The discussion probably belongs on the
                    main pcgen list, though.

                    DS/DL

                  • Eric C Smith
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                      Hi Folks!

                      A quick note on LST Standards . . .

                      We do have a page in the docs that contains a good set of standards for LST coding and it would likely be a good place to consolidate them there. Look at the "Official Release LST standards" under "List Files" on the main index.

                      Andrew, and Barak, if you have no objection I can consolidate what is on the wiki into the docs as appropriate.

                      Maredudd

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        Just a thought on that - in the 'basics' section it indicates tab should *never* be the first character... well, we've now got an option for that for multi line definitions.

                        The filenames bit could probably do with abilities adding too.

                        Define as zero is already mentioned in there :-)

                        Cheers
                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013

                          I'm fine with you consolidating things Eric.

                          Also, the truth is the first line should never be a Tab, ever. The Multilines with following tabs
                          doesn't break that rule, but it's an exception to the rule. You still need a NON-Tab Thing before
                          the tabs on subsequent lines can be used.

                          As to explaining DEFINE. When I'm not sick, at work and trying not to fall asleep I'll be happy to
                          go into the nitty gritty nuanced details of why DEFINE is 0 and not used for Stacking. Unless
                          another monkey wishes to jump in and explain.

                          While you wait, feel free to do a test for me. Let me know the result of this cause I'm curious how
                          PCGen will end result it:

                          In one object put:
                          DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20

                          In another Object put:
                          BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5

                          It's basic and simple. Let me know if the answer is 15, which I'm thinking us logical monkeys are
                          expecting, or 20.

                          Then a second test to build upon the first:
                          BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)

                          Just for kicks and giggles. Let me know the outcomes of those.

                          (And off to another call... whee!)

                        • Barak
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                            As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
                            different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
                            one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.

                            So we.define them to 0 to make life easy.
                            On Jan 21, 2013 4:07 PM, "Doug Limmer" <adventure@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking you; I'm just confused and
                            > frustrated.
                            >
                            > On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Andrew Maitland wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Ah, the debate. Spitfire of challenging the norm. ;) Mind you I'm
                            > > going to skim
                            > > reply since I'm at work.
                            > >
                            > > Why DEFINE to 0? Because, another user might want to negate a bonus,
                            > > or set up a
                            > > formula and with the DEFINE always set to x instead of 0 it messes
                            > > that up. So
                            > > DEFINE is set up to be 0 as a common courtesy to all those who come
                            > > after. Trust
                            > > me, I've had to come after and was annoyed that I couldn't easily
                            > > negate a
                            > > DEFINE that wasn't 0. DEFINE is NOT a replacement to the TYPE which is
                            > > set up
                            > > to handle Stacking rules, don't use DEFINE to replace stacking rules.
                            > >
                            > It's unclear to me how DEFINE not being 0 messes this up. Could you
                            > give me an example?
                            >

                            > > DEFINE is set to a formula in one place I'm aware of, Monster DCs for
                            > > things
                            > > that aren't changed by feats, or special abilities. (All Poisons are
                            > > 10+CON+(HD/2)) types of things.
                            > >
                            > Except that Monster DCs can be changed by feats; the Ability Focus feat
                            > does precisely that.
                            >
                            > > Now, where are these rules. Most are housed on the WIKI, under
                            > > Content/Data
                            > > Team. Some are found in the Class Files for building these things. One
                            > > of these
                            > > days when I'm not swamped, I might consolidate all the standards onto
                            > > the wiki.
                            > > But sadly, life keeps me busy enough that as soon as I handle one
                            > > thing, two
                            > > more spring up.
                            > >
                            > I might be able to work on this. The discussion probably belongs on the
                            > main pcgen list, though.
                            >
                            > DS/DL

                          • Doug Limmer
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                              On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
                              > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
                              > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
                              > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
                              The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?

                              DS/DL
                            • thpr
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer wrote:

                                > On 1/21/2013 6:15 PM, Barak wrote:
                                > > As Tom pointed out, if you have DEFINE:Foo|1 and DEFINE :Foo|2 (in two
                                > > different sources)... which one takes precedence? They're not additive,
                                > > one or the other will be used and its hard to know/control which.
                                > The docs say the larger one is used. Is this incorrect?
                                >
                                > DS/DL

                                The docs are correct.
                              • Doug Limmer
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 26, 2013
                                  On 1/21/2013 6:02 PM, Andrew wrote:

                                  > While you wait, feel free to do a test for me. Let me know the result
                                  > of this cause I'm curious how
                                  > PCGen will end result it:
                                  >
                                  > In one object put:
                                  > DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
                                  >
                                  > In another Object put:
                                  > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
                                  >
                                  > It's basic and simple. Let me know if the answer is 15, which I'm
                                  > thinking us logical monkeys are
                                  > expecting, or 20.
                                  >
                                  > Then a second test to build upon the first:
                                  > BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)
                                  >
                                  > Just for kicks and giggles. Let me know the outcomes of those.

                                  Here are the results. [Done in Pathfinder, in 6.0.0. Windows 7, if it
                                  makes a difference.]

                                  Defined 3 feats:
                                  Monkey Define
                                  TYPE:General
                                  DESC:Your monkey fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                                  DEFINE:MonkeyFuDC|20
                                  Monkey Bonus Flat
                                  TYPE:General
                                  DESC:Flat Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                                  BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|-5
                                  Monkey Bonus Level
                                  TYPE:General
                                  DESC:Level Bonus monkey Fu DC: %1|MonkeyFuDC
                                  BONUS:VAR|MonkeyFuDC|(-15)+((TL+1)*10)

                                  Made a 1st-level dwarf fighter. Gave it the Monkey Define feat.
                                  Displayed value: 20
                                  Leveled up to 3rd level (getting another feat). Gave it the Monkey
                                  Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
                                  Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat, added the Monkey Bonus Level feat.
                                  Displayed value: 45
                                  Leveled up to 4th level. Displayed value: 55
                                  Leveled up to 5th level (getting another feat). Displayed value: 65
                                  Gave it the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 60
                                  Took off the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 15
                                  Took off the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 20
                                  Added the Monkey Bonus Flat feat. Displayed value: 15
                                  Added the Monkey Bonus Level feat. Displayed value: 60

                                  The displayed value was always the same between all three feats.

                                  It seems like it's all working as I would expect. Is there something
                                  else to watch out for? Should I upload the PCC and LST files, for
                                  others to double-check?

                                  DS/DL