Re: Coding the Fey'ri

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
      Thank you,

      That took a bit more work than expected, as the CMP files don't use Abilities.

      But I now have a new tab under "Feats and Abilities" labelled "Racial Abilities" which does allow me to select the 4 out of 11 abilities.

      I have two remaining problems:

      1) The selections do not show up under Special Abilities on the Output Sheet or anywhere else on the output sheet.

      2) One of the abilities is DR 10/Magic, is there a way I can get that to show in the Output Sheet under Damage Reduction. Would the BENEFIT tag be able to help me there? I don't fully understand how that tag would work. Would that also work for spells?

      Cheers,

      Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013

        An ability must be 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' and then one of the TYPE entries must be
        'SpecialQuality' or 'SpecialAttack' to appear on the OS.

        TYPE:MyAbility.SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack

        Would give the types 'MyAbility' 'SpecialQuality' and 'SpecialAttack'

        'DR:10/Magic' in the ability will have it show up in the DR box.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          I think I've set those correctly. I also copied the
          ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability
          ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack

          from the rsrd_ability_categories_core.lst because these seem to define the needed CATEGORY's and TYPE's and the CMP files didn't have them. I had to add ABILITY and ABILITYCATEGORY files to the PCC files. I didn't edit miscinfo.lst

          I can't get the DR to show up

          I currently have it written like this:

          #Ability
          DR:10/Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.FeyRiDemonicAbility DESC:Damage Reduction 10/magic BENEFIT:DR:10/Magic

          I'm wondering if my output sheets might need something different to support this syntax in 5.14. I can't see what files are used inside the program, I can only select a colour, but for the PDF output I use /outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/csheet_fantasy_simple_green_light.xslt

          Thank you for your help so far,

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013

            There is no

            'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack'

            In the RSRD you'll see 'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' and
            'VISIBLE:NO'

            That's a parent category. Once you have that set up you'll be good to go. Your ABILITIES however
            need to be

            Ability #1
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:SpecialQuality.MySpecificAbility

            See, the ABILITY itself needs the designation, since the OS filters the individual abilities based
            upon Category and Type. ABILITYCATEGORY uses TYPE to determine which abilities it can 'see' or
            'belong' to it. I've been asking for an improvement here to change that to avoid this sort of
            confusion. I've proposed that we move to using something like this:

            ABILITYLIST:TYPE=MySpecificAbility|Ability #2

            Then it becomes a lot more clear on intent. However, until that is implemented,
            TYPE:MySpecificAbility in AbilityCategory only means those Abilities with the TYPE
            'MySpecificAbility' will be displayed or belong in that particular AbilityCategory.

            I certain hope that makes more sense.

            For OS filtering:

            Any Ability of 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'TYPE:SpecialQuality' will be displayed in the
            Special Qualities box.
            Any Ability of 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'TYPE:SpecialAttack' will be displayed in the Special
            Attacks box.

            If you add the TYPEs 'Extraordinary', 'Supernatural', 'SpellLike' or 'Psionic' the name of the
            Ability will be appended with (Ex), (Su), (Sp) or (Ps). This applies to SpecialQuality or SpecialAttack.

            We have a TON of display options, but those are the MOST commonly used ones.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
              Thank you again for your reply.

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > There is no
              >
              > 'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack'

              There is in version CVS $Revision: 5882 $ $Author: tir-gwaith $ -- Sun Dec 16 12:00:20 2007 that comes with 5.14.1

              > In the RSRD you'll see 'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' and
              > 'VISIBLE:NO'
              >
              > That's a parent category. Once you have that set up you'll be good >to go.

              I figured that I also need to define the SpecialQuality TYPE somewhere, and in the rsrd I have, that seems to be done in the "Special Quality or Attack" with TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
              Is this not needed? The ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability doesn't define it.

              > Your ABILITIES however
              > need to be
              >
              > Ability #1
              > CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > TYPE:SpecialQuality.MySpecificAbility

              In the line about DR I quoted below, I think that's exactly what I did.

              DR:10/Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.FeyRiDemonicAbility DESC:Damage Reduction 10/magic BENEFIT:DR:10/Magic

              > See, the ABILITY itself needs the designation, since the OS filters the individual abilities based
              > upon Category and Type. ABILITYCATEGORY uses TYPE to determine which abilities it can 'see' or
              > 'belong' to it. I've been asking for an improvement here to change that to avoid this sort of
              > confusion. I've proposed that we move to using something like this:
              >
              > ABILITYLIST:TYPE=MySpecificAbility|Ability #2
              >
              > Then it becomes a lot more clear on intent. However, until that is implemented,
              > TYPE:MySpecificAbility in AbilityCategory only means those Abilities with the TYPE
              > 'MySpecificAbility' will be displayed or belong in that particular AbilityCategory.
              >
              > I certain hope that makes more sense.

              This explanation is clearer, but I think I already got it from the documentation and your earlier examples. I don't see anything I did wrong, except that the ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack might be superfluous. But as the OS I'm trying to use is meant to work with that version of the rsrd, I thought it was probably useful to include.

              > For OS filtering:
              >
              > Any Ability of 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'TYPE:SpecialQuality' will be displayed in the
              > Special Qualities box.
              > Any Ability of 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'TYPE:SpecialAttack' will be displayed in the Special
              > Attacks box.

              I could not get this to work. If I just load rsrd-basic and make a rogue, I can select "Rogue Special Abilities" and they do show up.

              I did some comparisons between how the Rogue is coded in the rsrd and what I had done, and in the end I got it to work by adding an SAB: to each ability. This is what is displayed on the output sheet. It doesn't do anything with TYPE Extraordinary, SpellLike or Supernatural, it takes the SAB: description verbatim and that's what it displays. It doesn't use the name of the ability, its DESC or its BENEFIT.

              The damage reduction now also works, I now have it coded like this:

              Damage Reduction 10/Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.Extraordinary.FeyRiDemonicAbility DESC:Damage Reduction 10/Magic DR:10/Magic SAB:DR 10/Magic

              Extraordinary is just there for testing.

              The output sheet shows "DR 10/Magic" no (Ex).

              In the end I figured it out by looking at how the Rogue was coded in the rsrd. That also has VISIBLE:Qualify on each ability line, but leaving it out seems to have no effect.

              Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013

                On 1/6/2013 4:34 PM, rogerwllco wrote:
                > Thank you again for your reply.
                >
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> There is no
                >>
                >> 'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack'
                >>
                > There is in version CVS $Revision: 5882 $ $Author: tir-gwaith $ -- Sun Dec 16 12:00:20 2007 that comes with 5.14.1
                >
                >> In the RSRD you'll see 'ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability' with 'CATEGORY:Special Ability' and
                >> 'VISIBLE:NO'
                >>
                >> That's a parent category. Once you have that set up you'll be good >to go.
                > I figured that I also need to define the SpecialQuality TYPE somewhere, and in the rsrd I have, that seems to be done in the "Special Quality or Attack" with TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
                > Is this not needed? The ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Ability doesn't define it.

                Those do *not* need to be defined. They are empty types. Those are used in the OS (base.xml and xlst
                files, and htm) to properly display those abilities.

                >> Your ABILITIES however
                >> need to be
                >>
                >> Ability #1
                >> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                >> TYPE:SpecialQuality.MySpecificAbility
                >>
                > In the line about DR I quoted below, I think that's exactly what I did.
                >
                > DR:10/Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.FeyRiDemonicAbility DESC:Damage Reduction 10/magic BENEFIT:DR:10/Magic

                Don't name an ability the exact same thing as a Tag. Call it Damage Reduction 10/Magic if you like.
                The 'DR:10/Magic' is a tag, not a name.

                DR 10/Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.FeyRiDemonicAbility DESC:Damage Reduction 10/magic BENEFIT:DR:10/Magic DR:10/Magic

                >> See, the ABILITY itself needs the designation, since the OS filters the individual abilities based
                >> upon Category and Type. ABILITYCATEGORY uses TYPE to determine which abilities it can 'see' or
                >> 'belong' to it. I've been asking for an improvement here to change that to avoid this sort of
                >> confusion. I've proposed that we move to using something like this:
                >>
                >> ABILITYLIST:TYPE=MySpecificAbility|Ability #2
                >>
                >> Then it becomes a lot more clear on intent. However, until that is implemented,
                >> TYPE:MySpecificAbility in AbilityCategory only means those Abilities with the TYPE
                >> 'MySpecificAbility' will be displayed or belong in that particular AbilityCategory.
                >>
                >> I certain hope that makes more sense.
                >>
                > This explanation is clearer, but I think I already got it from the documentation and your earlier examples. I don't see anything I did wrong, except that the ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality or Attack might be superfluous. But as the OS I'm trying to use is meant to work with that version of the rsrd, I thought it was probably useful to include.

                ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Quality
                ABILITYCATEGORY:Special Attack

                or any other variant is not used anywhere in the RSRD. I would highly recommend against it

                The OS uses CATEGORY:Special Ability with TYPE:SpecialQuality

                Trust me, adding anything else is a waste of time.