Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] New "Skills"-like Category?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2012

      So let me clarify the request - You are asking for a system that defines a Skill Pool for only
      Knowledges, and a Skill Pool for everything else?

      If that is the case, then I suppose it could be done, but it'd would be to the same standard the
      current skill system performs too.

      You'd have to test but there are different methods depending on how strictly you wish this to work.

      Method 1:
      Create an ability category for Skills

      Call it 'Knowledge Skills'
      If you want to max rank properly, then you'll need to set up a single ability for EACH skill. If
      you're not worried about max ranks and can keep track of it yourself, then you can make a single
      ability and place a CHOOSE:SKILLS with the target being Knowledge skills only in there. Using a
      BONUS:SKILLRANKS|%LIST|1 set up, that would handle it on the easy side.

      Now, if you don't want people messing up the knowledge skills in the skills tab, you should be able
      to put a PRExxx on all of them. Or you can make them READONLY, or VISIBLE:EXPORT - review the skills
      tab version of VISIBLE for the proper syntax.

      For your classes, you'll want a either a Variable Name, or a direct 'BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Knowledge
      Skills|x'

      Adjust the STARTSKILLPTS: to the new number for the non-knowledge skills.

      That should give you a basic set up. Review the docs, and if you need a pointer, myself or others
      will be here to help.

      Good Luck with your project.

      Cheers,

      On 12/5/2012 8:33 AM, daft_inquisitor wrote:
      > Hey all, quick question.
      >
      > A friend of mine is setting up a version of D&D 3.5 that has split the Skill system into two categories - one for Skills, and one for Knowledges (i.e., the difference between having the ability to do something, and having the know-how to do it correctly).
      >
      > I was wondering, is there a way to set up a second Tab in the system for Knowledges, and have it work similarly to Skills? Such that we can set a number of "Knowledge Points" a class gains per level, and have them be able to rank-up?
      >
      > I figured I would need to modify the "gameModes" settings, but I don't know what and where.

    • daft_inquisitor
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012
        That's odd. I posted a follow-up message yesterday, but it appears it didn't go through correctly. Oh well.

        Basically, I was just asking if there was a way to allocate this to a sub-tab under Skills, similar to how you have the Feats And Abilities tab with Class Abilities as a sub-tab. And/or, if there was a way to create a clone of the skills category, then just change all the reference points to new variables instead of using the old "STARTSKILLPTS" and such.

        If neither one is plausible, that's perfectly fine. I'm just wondering if it's do-able, even with a bit of work. Either way, I will dedicate some time this weekend to test out what you have already suggested. Thanks for the help. :)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2012

          Well, we've gone from how can I do this today, to asking for a feature request -
          Add the ability to make a new subtab on Skills - That's a Code Request.

          Short answer - no, that isn't possible today.