Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Way to be able to select more than one subclass?

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
      It sounds like what you want is an ability pool rather than subclasses.
      With an ability pool, you can give each member of the class two choices
      for schools. Then you'd want a PREABILITY (rather than a PRECLASS) to
      determine what prestige classes they can enter.

      DS/DL

      On 11/23/2012 6:30 AM, daft_inquisitor wrote:

      > Hello everyone! I was hoping someone here might know of a way to do this.
      >
      > I have a custom-made Sorcerer variant class that basically uses
      > subclasses to determine what spells he can and can't cast, essentially
      > breaking them down into six sets of spell school layouts. I would like
      > a way for anyone choosing that class to be able to select two schools
      > they can cast, and four that they cannot.
      >
      > Right now, the best I could do was to set up each of my six schools
      > with a Subclass and a Cost of 4, leaving 1 school the "specialized"
      > school, four being "prohibited" schools, and 1 just being... there.
      >
      > It's not really a huge issue until I start dealing with a prestige
      > class I'm working to go off of my customized sorcerer. I want to be
      > able to use the PRECLASS tag to allow a choice of Prestige class based
      > on their "specialized" schools. The problem? Since they can only
      > select one subclass, that means they only get one choice of Prestige
      > class, when they should have the option of 2.
      >
      > I'll admit that most of it is setting flavor, but it's the way I have
      > the classes set up in my homebrew setting that I've been using for a
      > few years now. I'm trying to set up PCGen to give to my players as an
      > "official" character builder, but I keep finding little snags like
      > this in the system. Still, it's lightyears ahead of eTools to try and
      > mod...
      >
      > Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this to
      > work a bit more like I intend?

    • daft_inquisitor
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
        I didn't realize you could set schools with ability pools. I'll look into that and see if it will work for what I need. Thanks.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

        > It sounds like what you want is an ability pool rather than subclasses.
        > With an ability pool, you can give each member of the class two choices
        > for schools. Then you'd want a PREABILITY (rather than a PRECLASS) to
        > determine what prestige classes they can enter.
        >
        > DS/DL
        >
        > On 11/23/2012 6:30 AM, daft_inquisitor wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello everyone! I was hoping someone here might know of a way to do this.
        > >
        > > I have a custom-made Sorcerer variant class that basically uses
        > > subclasses to determine what spells he can and can't cast, essentially
        > > breaking them down into six sets of spell school layouts. I would like
        > > a way for anyone choosing that class to be able to select two schools
        > > they can cast, and four that they cannot.
        > >
        > > Right now, the best I could do was to set up each of my six schools
        > > with a Subclass and a Cost of 4, leaving 1 school the "specialized"
        > > school, four being "prohibited" schools, and 1 just being... there.
        > >
        > > It's not really a huge issue until I start dealing with a prestige
        > > class I'm working to go off of my customized sorcerer. I want to be
        > > able to use the PRECLASS tag to allow a choice of Prestige class based
        > > on their "specialized" schools. The problem? Since they can only
        > > select one subclass, that means they only get one choice of Prestige
        > > class, when they should have the option of 2.
        > >
        > > I'll admit that most of it is setting flavor, but it's the way I have
        > > the classes set up in my homebrew setting that I've been using for a
        > > few years now. I'm trying to set up PCGen to give to my players as an
        > > "official" character builder, but I keep finding little snags like
        > > this in the system. Still, it's lightyears ahead of eTools to try and
        > > mod...
        > >
        > > Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this to
        > > work a bit more like I intend?

      • daft_inquisitor
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
          I forgot how hard it is to find a tag in the index if you don't really know what you're looking for.

          What tag would I use to grant someone access to a spell school?

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "daft_inquisitor" <shadowdragoonftw@...> wrote:

          > I didn't realize you could set schools with ability pools. I'll look into that and see if it will work for what I need. Thanks.
          >
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It sounds like what you want is an ability pool rather than subclasses.
          > > With an ability pool, you can give each member of the class two choices
          > > for schools. Then you'd want a PREABILITY (rather than a PRECLASS) to
          > > determine what prestige classes they can enter.
          > >
          > > DS/DL
          > >
          > > On 11/23/2012 6:30 AM, daft_inquisitor wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello everyone! I was hoping someone here might know of a way to do this.
          > > >
          > > > I have a custom-made Sorcerer variant class that basically uses
          > > > subclasses to determine what spells he can and can't cast, essentially
          > > > breaking them down into six sets of spell school layouts. I would like
          > > > a way for anyone choosing that class to be able to select two schools
          > > > they can cast, and four that they cannot.
          > > >
          > > > Right now, the best I could do was to set up each of my six schools
          > > > with a Subclass and a Cost of 4, leaving 1 school the "specialized"
          > > > school, four being "prohibited" schools, and 1 just being... there.
          > > >
          > > > It's not really a huge issue until I start dealing with a prestige
          > > > class I'm working to go off of my customized sorcerer. I want to be
          > > > able to use the PRECLASS tag to allow a choice of Prestige class based
          > > > on their "specialized" schools. The problem? Since they can only
          > > > select one subclass, that means they only get one choice of Prestige
          > > > class, when they should have the option of 2.
          > > >
          > > > I'll admit that most of it is setting flavor, but it's the way I have
          > > > the classes set up in my homebrew setting that I've been using for a
          > > > few years now. I'm trying to set up PCGen to give to my players as an
          > > > "official" character builder, but I keep finding little snags like
          > > > this in the system. Still, it's lightyears ahead of eTools to try and
          > > > mod...
          > > >
          > > > Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this to
          > > > work a bit more like I intend?

        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
            I'm not quite sure what you mean. In what way do you want to "grant
            access" to a spell school? (I thought all casters had access to all
            schools unless specifically prohibited.)

            DS/DL

            On 11/23/2012 9:21 AM, daft_inquisitor wrote:

            > I forgot how hard it is to find a tag in the index if you don't really
            > know what you're looking for.
            >
            > What tag would I use to grant someone access to a spell school?
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "daft_inquisitor"
            > <shadowdragoonftw@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I didn't realize you could set schools with ability pools. I'll look
            > into that and see if it will work for what I need. Thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug Limmer <adventure@>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It sounds like what you want is an ability pool rather than
            > subclasses.
            > > > With an ability pool, you can give each member of the class two
            > choices
            > > > for schools. Then you'd want a PREABILITY (rather than a PRECLASS) to
            > > > determine what prestige classes they can enter.
            > > >
            > > > DS/DL

            > do this.

            > essentially
            > would like
            > schools

            > based
            > Prestige

            > have
            > for a
            > as an
            > try and

            > this to

          • daft_inquisitor
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
              Well, with that question, then I have no idea what you intended for me to do with ability pools. If I can't use those to grant/restrict schools, then I have no clue what you were suggesting for me to do.

            • daft_inquisitor
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
                Nevermind, I found the "PRESPELLSCHOOL" tag. That should let me at least set a prerequisite for my prestige classes so that they can't join one related to a prohibited school.