Extra Languages

  • swiftbrook8
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
      I running PCGen v.6.00.0
      Pathfinder

      I'm trying to get PCGen to let me assign extra languages to a PC. With traits, I can overwrite the default number of 2 with a 3 if I need an extra trait. However, I can't figure out how to give my PC extra languages. I'm building an Aasimar with Truespeaker (from Advance Race Guide). It allows you to learn two languages for every one Linguistics skill point. Now I don't expect an elegant solution, just a way to add an extra language without meeting the skill criteria.

      Thanks for your help.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
        Hmm, that is a good point. The language count is one of the few fields that aren't hand editable. Like if you want a feat you can double click the value to add a selection.

        You could make a template that has a
        BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|x

        Hmm I wonder if that x will take a variable based on the skill

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "swiftbrook8" <swiftbrook@...> wrote:

        > I running PCGen v.6.00.0
        > Pathfinder
        >
        > I'm trying to get PCGen to let me assign extra languages to a PC. With traits, I can overwrite the default number of 2 with a 3 if I need an extra trait. However, I can't figure out how to give my PC extra languages. I'm building an Aasimar with Truespeaker (from Advance Race Guide). It allows you to learn two languages for every one Linguistics skill point. Now I don't expect an elegant solution, just a way to add an extra language without meeting the skill criteria.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
          Try BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|skillinfo(RANK,Linguistics)

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
            Hi Paul,

            Very close, but you forgot the quotes that surround the tag parameters

            skillinfo("RANK","Linguistics")

            Though, unless you want Favored class points to not count, I'd opt to use

            skillinfo("TOTALRANK","Linguistics")

            And if you really want to bypass the whole skill requirements, you can do

            CHOOSE:STRING|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20 MULT:YES
            BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|%LIST

            Put that in a feat or template.

            Cheers,

            On 11/18/2012 4:39 PM, Paul wrote:
            > Try BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|skillinfo(RANK,Linguistics)
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
            >> Hmm, that is a good point. The language count is one of the few fields that aren't hand editable. Like if you want a feat you can double click the value to add a selection.
            >>
            >> You could make a template that has a
            >> BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|x
            >>
            >> Hmm I wonder if that x will take a variable based on the skill
            >>

            >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "swiftbrook8" <swiftbrook@> wrote:
            >>> I running PCGen v.6.00.0
            >>> Pathfinder
            >>>
            >>> I'm trying to get PCGen to let me assign extra languages to a PC. With traits, I can overwrite the default number of 2 with a 3 if I need an extra trait. However, I can't figure out how to give my PC extra languages. I'm building an Aasimar with Truespeaker (from Advance Race Guide). It allows you to learn two languages for every one Linguistics skill point. Now I don't expect an elegant solution, just a way to add an extra language without meeting the skill criteria.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks for your help.

          • swiftbrook8
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
              Nope, they don't work. Well the coding seems to work, but the code only allows me to choose from the races "Bonus Languages", not the entire list of languages available. The code is acting as if I had a higher Int, not 2 languages for every Linguistics skill point. Oh, and I tried both sets of code.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012

                I have a solution, but I need to test it (well two solutions actually).

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012

                  Okay solution 1)
                  Add SELECT on the Linguistic Skill Line; I personally went with "SELECT:1+BonusLinguisticChoice" but
                  that was for testing purposes. I'll likely go with "SELECT:LanguageChoice"

                  Anyways, bonus the Var and you get your 1 or 2 selections per rank. Tested and it works great.

                  Solution 2)
                  # Ability File
                  CATEGORY=Internal|Default.MOD <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Bonus Linguistic
                  Languages|skillinfo("TOTALRANK","Linguistics")

                  Bonus Language <> CHOOSE:LANG|TYPE=Spoken <> SELECT:1 <> MULT:YES <> AUTO:LANG|%LIST

                  #Category File
                  ABILITYCATEGORY:Bonus Linguistic Languages <> CATEGORY:Internal <> ABILITYLIST:Bonus Language <>
                  EDITABLE:YES <> EDITPOOL:YES <> DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities

                  There you go, two working solutions.