Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: PCGen Listing for Dummies?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012

      On 11/11/2012 7:10 AM, Timothy wrote:
      > Howdy Andrew,
      >
      > Thanks for the quick response!
      >
      > Yeah, I know I put a lot into one message; I didn't expect anyone to break down or do all of the things in one massive "go", I was simply somewhat pressed for time (trying to write a quick mail with an active 18-month old on the loose), and just listed off what all I have ahead of me.

      I have kids, I can relate.

      > I kind of figured that if I was able to grok one aspect, the rest would follow (relatively) easily enough. I just wasn't sure where to start.

      Proper tools do make it easier.

      > What text editor would y'all recommend? I've never had to use anything aside from OpenOffice & Notepad before for text-related stuff, so I never actually looked for any.

      http://wiki.pcgen.org/Data

      and specifically

      http://wiki.pcgen.org/Text_Editors

      > I saw in one of the classes (in the documentation) that (the author) had put everything on lines one under the other. Does that actually work within the program, or did he do that for ease of reading in the doc?

      Well, when those Docs were written, that was to make it readable. However, as of 6.00.00 (Well, a
      few revisions before) there is an option you can enable to have that style work.

      > Thanks again, I'll let y'all know how I do :)

      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> The LST Editor in 5.16.4 is not very robust and was prone to errors. It has been removed in 6.0 and
      >> won't return till 6.2.
      >>
      >> As it sounds like you've got quite a lot of LST Coding in your future, I'd highly recommend learning
      >> how to be a proper data monkey.
      >>
      >> Step 1 - Notepad is not an acceptable tool. Get yourself a true text editor.
      >> Step 1b - Grab Syntax Highlighting (Makes your lst code pretty to read, and will point out quickly
      >> errors)
      >>
      >> Step 2 - Bookmark the Docs - especially the LST Tag Index.
      >>
      >> Step 3 - Use the Homebrew Folder, ready made 'My Campaign" to get started.
      >>
      >> Step 4 - I'd highly recommend ready through the various Classes we put together to help new users
      >> such as yourself learn how LST works.
      >>

      >> .MOD - Depending on what you're modding, it will either append (i.e. Add to) or replace. The Docs
      >> should have a 'MOD' will do x for the various tags.
      >>
      >> We're always happy to help, but you'll want to break it down into smaller chunks. I'm not going to
      >> code up all those requests, but if you ask what the lst code would look like for a Substitution
      >> level, then you'll likely get a better response.
      >>
      >> (The easier the problem, the more likely you'll get a response from the community. Harder issues, or
      >> multiple issues, you'll end up waiting for an experienced monkey to reply... and those are all
      >> rather tied up in last minute projects ;) )
      >>
      >> On 11/8/2012 1:58 AM, Timothy wrote:
      >>> (v. 5.16.4 in D&D3.5 mode)
      >>> Yeah, that's me - a dummy. or a n00b at any rate.
      >>>
      >>> I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the list editing functions, some things seem to work fine using the List Editor tool, other things not so much. I've tried looking over the documentation, but it's like a foreign language to me. Anyhow, here's the task(s) what the GM wants:
      >>>
      >>> 1) Core races & classes from PHB, including the optional substitution abilities from the PHB II
      >>> 2) Classes from PHB II & Complete Adventurer
      >>> 3) Dieties from Goodman Games' DCC setting
      >>> 4) "Core" races from Arcana Unearthed