Spell access with a feat

  • Distant Scholar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
      I have several spells which some classes get access to automatically, but other classes get access to with a feat. I was planning to use something like "CLASSES:ClassA=1 <t> CLASSES:ClassB=1[PREFEAT:1,Spell Feat]", but was advised against it.

      What would be a better way to approach this?

      DS/DL
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012

        CLASSES:ClassA=1|ClassB=1 <t> PREMULT:1,[PRECLASS:1,ClassA=1],[PREFEAT:1,Spell Feat]

        Cheers,

        On 10/28/2012 2:45 AM, Distant Scholar wrote:
        > I have several spells which some classes get access to automatically, but other classes get access to with a feat. I was planning to use something like "CLASSES:ClassA=1 <t> CLASSES:ClassB=1[PREFEAT:1,Spell Feat]", but was advised against it.
        >
        > What would be a better way to approach this?
        >
        > DS/DL

      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012

          Andrew (drew0500@...) answered:
          > CLASSES:ClassA=1|ClassB=1 <t> PREMULT:1,[PRECLASS:1,ClassA=1],[PREFEAT:1,Spell Feat]

          Wondering... What happens if I now introduce ClassC and give it Spelllist
          of ClassA? Will ClassC be able to use this spell?

          Susan
        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
            I'm not sure that example will quite work the way it needs to work...

            I'll be specific about what I'm coding up. I'm considering ways to
            implement the Expanded Knowledge feat from 3.5 psionics (rsrd) and 3pp
            Pathfinder psionics (Psionics Unleashed). I'll use the /evade burst/
            power as an example. It is a level-3 power for psychic warriors, and a
            level-7 power for psions. So, what I was going to do was:

            Evade Burst <t> CLASSES:Psion,WIlder=7|Psychic Warrior=3 <t>
            CLASSES:TYPE.Psionic=3[PREFEAT:1,Expanded Knowledge (Evade Burst)]

            This works almost[1] exactly how I want it to, except for technical
            glitches mentioned over in the PCGen group. I'm told this would create
            a great overhead, however, and should be avoided.

            To try it with separate PRE tags:

            Evade Burst <t>CLASSES:Psion,Wilder=7|Psychic Warrior=3|TYPE.Psionic=3
            <t> PREMULT:1,[PRECLASS:1,Psion=1,Psychic
            Warrior=1,Wilder=1],[PREFEAT:1,Expanded Knowledge (Evade Burst)]

            It seems like this would let any psion or wilder take /evade burst/ as a
            3rd-level power, without the Expanded Knowledge feat. They should be
            able to do it *with* the feat, but not without it. I could try this:

            Evade Burst <t>CLASSES:Psion,Wilder=7|Psychic Warrior=3|TYPE.Psionic=3
            <t> PREMULT:1,[PRECLASS:1,Psion=13,Psychic
            Warrior=1,Wilder=13],[PREFEAT:1,Expanded Knowledge (Evade Burst)]

            But, would a psion with a prestige class that improved psion manifesting
            gain access to the level-7 /evade burst/ power when they would otherwise
            be able to get level-7 powers? I don't think so. The PRESPELL tags[2]
            require the character to "have" a spell, not have an available spell
            slot, so they don't seem to work. Is there a PRE tag that accesses the
            highest level spell available in the appropriate class?

            I suppose I could introduce a "maximum power level" variable for all the
            manifesting classes (which I was thinking of doing anyway) , and use
            that in a PREVAR. But, all in all, the first method seems so simple,
            and is very close to what I want. Please let me know if there's
            something I'm missing.

            DS/DL

            [1] The only thing it seems to not catch is if someone is a multiclass
            psion/wilder with the appropriate Expanded Knowledge feat, they would
            get the power as a level-3 power for both classes rather than choosing
            one, but I believe that would be very rare.

            [2] Except for PRESPELLCAST and PRESPELLBOOK, which don't apply.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012

              You can use CLASSES:ClassA=1|ClassB[PREFEAT:1,Expanded Knowledge (Evade Burst)]

              But I'm just letting you know, after so many spells it is used on, your performance will degrade.