Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?

  • Allen Cohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2012
      Thank you for your thoughts on this, guys.

      I'm not adept with all things LST so I'm a bit confused.

      Am I correct that with Andrew's hack I don't need to create a new, duplicate
      skill?

      Since I know precisely which Skills I want to be useable untrained (Use
      Magic Device and Spellcraft) with this Feat do I need to use the CHOOSE? Can
      I instead just have the feat include

      BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack
      BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

      without the CHOOSE, MULT, and STACK tags?

      What do the TYPE=NoStack and the TYPE=UseUntrained accomplish?

      I was also thinking that if the user does actually add a rank to either of
      these skills then the kluge will no longer be necessary for that particular
      skill. So, perhaps I would need to have something like this in the Feat:

      BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
      Device=1
      BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
      Device=1
      BONUS:SKILLRANK|Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1
      BONUS:SKILL|Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1

      ?

      Thanks,
      Allen

      Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?
      Wed Oct 3, 2012 12:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
      "Andrew" Drew0500
      Hi,

      It's a bit of a workaround, but it will work. You don't need to give it
      ranks. Look at the
      Pathfinder Conditional Skills. Just set it up like one of those.

      Skill Name (Use Untrained)

      You'll need to tweak it to work with the feat, but that method will work.

      OR

      Better yet, just setup the feat to do this:

      CHOOSE:SKILL|NORANKS
      MULT:YES
      STACK:NO

      BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1|TYPE=NoStack
      BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

      With one Rank it will appear, the negative will cancel out the overall
      total. It's a hack, but
      should accomplish what you desire.