Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012

      It's a bit of a workaround, but it will work. You don't need to give it ranks. Look at the
      Pathfinder Conditional Skills. Just set it up like one of those.

      Skill Name (Use Untrained)

      You'll need to tweak it to work with the feat, but that method will work.

      OR

      Better yet, just setup the feat to do this:

      CHOOSE:SKILL|NORANKS
      MULT:YES
      STACK:NO

      BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1|TYPE=NoStack
      BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

      With one Rank it will appear, the negative will cancel out the overall total. It's a hack, but
      should accomplish what you desire.

      Cheers,

      On 10/3/2012 11:47 AM, tripleduck wrote:
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
      >> Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some
      >> ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.
      >> You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only
      >> appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so
      >> ranks cannot be added manually).
      >> Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.
      > Well, I was thinking more of creating a duplicate skill to the ones he wants to allow, make them usable untrained, but then give them a PREFEAT so that no ranks can be added unless they have the feat. I can see now my original thought process was flawed and this wouldn't accomplish what the OP wants.
      >
      > Though, the PREFEAT thing on a skill is pretty cool. I tested it and it works well. :) It doesn't allow you to add ranks unless you have a specific feat.

    • Allen Cohn
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2012
        Thank you for your thoughts on this, guys.

        I'm not adept with all things LST so I'm a bit confused.

        Am I correct that with Andrew's hack I don't need to create a new, duplicate
        skill?

        Since I know precisely which Skills I want to be useable untrained (Use
        Magic Device and Spellcraft) with this Feat do I need to use the CHOOSE? Can
        I instead just have the feat include

        BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack
        BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

        without the CHOOSE, MULT, and STACK tags?

        What do the TYPE=NoStack and the TYPE=UseUntrained accomplish?

        I was also thinking that if the user does actually add a rank to either of
        these skills then the kluge will no longer be necessary for that particular
        skill. So, perhaps I would need to have something like this in the Feat:

        BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
        Device=1
        BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
        Device=1
        BONUS:SKILLRANK|Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1
        BONUS:SKILL|Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1

        ?

        Thanks,
        Allen

        Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?
        Wed Oct 3, 2012 12:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
        "Andrew" Drew0500
        Hi,