Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?

  • tripleduck
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
      > Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some
      > ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.
      > You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only
      > appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so
      > ranks cannot be added manually).
      > Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.

      Well, I was thinking more of creating a duplicate skill to the ones he wants to allow, make them usable untrained, but then give them a PREFEAT so that no ranks can be added unless they have the feat. I can see now my original thought process was flawed and this wouldn't accomplish what the OP wants.

      Though, the PREFEAT thing on a skill is pretty cool. I tested it and it works well. :) It doesn't allow you to add ranks unless you have a specific feat.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012
        Hi,

        It's a bit of a workaround, but it will work. You don't need to give it ranks. Look at the
        Pathfinder Conditional Skills. Just set it up like one of those.

        Skill Name (Use Untrained)

        You'll need to tweak it to work with the feat, but that method will work.

        OR

        Better yet, just setup the feat to do this:

        CHOOSE:SKILL|NORANKS
        MULT:YES
        STACK:NO

        BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1|TYPE=NoStack
        BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

        With one Rank it will appear, the negative will cancel out the overall total. It's a hack, but
        should accomplish what you desire.

        Cheers,

        On 10/3/2012 11:47 AM, tripleduck wrote:
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
        >> Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some
        >> ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.
        >> You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only
        >> appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so
        >> ranks cannot be added manually).
        >> Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.
        > Well, I was thinking more of creating a duplicate skill to the ones he wants to allow, make them usable untrained, but then give them a PREFEAT so that no ranks can be added unless they have the feat. I can see now my original thought process was flawed and this wouldn't accomplish what the OP wants.
        >
        > Though, the PREFEAT thing on a skill is pretty cool. I tested it and it works well. :) It doesn't allow you to add ranks unless you have a specific feat.

      • Allen Cohn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2012
          Thank you for your thoughts on this, guys.

          I'm not adept with all things LST so I'm a bit confused.

          Am I correct that with Andrew's hack I don't need to create a new, duplicate
          skill?

          Since I know precisely which Skills I want to be useable untrained (Use
          Magic Device and Spellcraft) with this Feat do I need to use the CHOOSE? Can
          I instead just have the feat include

          BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack
          BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

          without the CHOOSE, MULT, and STACK tags?

          What do the TYPE=NoStack and the TYPE=UseUntrained accomplish?

          I was also thinking that if the user does actually add a rank to either of
          these skills then the kluge will no longer be necessary for that particular
          skill. So, perhaps I would need to have something like this in the Feat:

          BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
          Device=1
          BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
          Device=1
          BONUS:SKILLRANK|Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1
          BONUS:SKILL|Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1

          ?

          Thanks,
          Allen

          Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?
          Wed Oct 3, 2012 12:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
          "Andrew" Drew0500