Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?

  • tripleduck
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
      I wonder if it would be possible to create a new skill within your homebrew that is called something like "Skill (Feat)", which isn't directly selectable, but given when the feat is taken. That new skill could be marked as "useable untrained".

      Just a thought. :)
    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012
        Greetings

        Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.

        You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so ranks cannot be added manually).

        Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.

        Cheers

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "tripleduck" <tulsagrown@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if it would be possible to create a new skill within your homebrew that is called something like "Skill (Feat)", which isn't directly selectable, but given when the feat is taken. That new skill could be marked as "useable untrained".
        >
        > Just a thought. :)

      • tripleduck
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
          > Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some
          > ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.
          > You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only
          > appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so
          > ranks cannot be added manually).
          > Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.

          Well, I was thinking more of creating a duplicate skill to the ones he wants to allow, make them usable untrained, but then give them a PREFEAT so that no ranks can be added unless they have the feat. I can see now my original thought process was flawed and this wouldn't accomplish what the OP wants.

          Though, the PREFEAT thing on a skill is pretty cool. I tested it and it works well. :) It doesn't allow you to add ranks unless you have a specific feat.
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2012

            It's a bit of a workaround, but it will work. You don't need to give it ranks. Look at the
            Pathfinder Conditional Skills. Just set it up like one of those.

            Skill Name (Use Untrained)

            You'll need to tweak it to work with the feat, but that method will work.

            OR

            Better yet, just setup the feat to do this:

            CHOOSE:SKILL|NORANKS
            MULT:YES
            STACK:NO

            BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1|TYPE=NoStack
            BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

            With one Rank it will appear, the negative will cancel out the overall total. It's a hack, but
            should accomplish what you desire.

            Cheers,

            On 10/3/2012 11:47 AM, tripleduck wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" wrote:
            >> Do you mean ranks cannot be added, but taking a feat gives you some
            >> ranks in it? You'd have to have the feat BONUS the skill.
            >> You could set the VISIBLE tag to .. OS ? or similar. so it only
            >> appears on the output sheet, *NOT* in the skills list in pcgen (so
            >> ranks cannot be added manually).
            >> Skill would always appear on OS though, regardless.
            > Well, I was thinking more of creating a duplicate skill to the ones he wants to allow, make them usable untrained, but then give them a PREFEAT so that no ranks can be added unless they have the feat. I can see now my original thought process was flawed and this wouldn't accomplish what the OP wants.
            >
            > Though, the PREFEAT thing on a skill is pretty cool. I tested it and it works well. :) It doesn't allow you to add ranks unless you have a specific feat.

          • Allen Cohn
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2012
              Thank you for your thoughts on this, guys.

              I'm not adept with all things LST so I'm a bit confused.

              Am I correct that with Andrew's hack I don't need to create a new, duplicate
              skill?

              Since I know precisely which Skills I want to be useable untrained (Use
              Magic Device and Spellcraft) with this Feat do I need to use the CHOOSE? Can
              I instead just have the feat include

              BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack
              BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device,Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained

              without the CHOOSE, MULT, and STACK tags?

              What do the TYPE=NoStack and the TYPE=UseUntrained accomplish?

              I was also thinking that if the user does actually add a rank to either of
              these skills then the kluge will no longer be necessary for that particular
              skill. So, perhaps I would need to have something like this in the Feat:

              BONUS:SKILLRANK|Use Magic Device|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
              Device=1
              BONUS:SKILL|Use Magic Device|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Use Magic
              Device=1
              BONUS:SKILLRANK|Spellcraft|1|TYPE=NoStack|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1
              BONUS:SKILL|Spellcraft|-1|TYPE=UseUntrained|!PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=1

              ?

              Thanks,
              Allen

              Re: Use feat to make a skill usable untrained?
              Wed Oct 3, 2012 12:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
              "Andrew" Drew0500
              Hi,