Adding Animal Companion Levels (5.17.16, Pathfinder)

  • lianadraechen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hello!

      As requested, I'm bringing my inquiry from the main group here. In the new Pathfinder game I've recently begun, I'm assigning unique quirks to each of the PCs. My intention is to make the Ranger's animal companion function as a Druid's of the same level (currently, 5th), but I'm unable to make the PC's companion levels exceed the standard cap. I'm not sure whether it would be easier/more efficient to just allow the changes post-4th level, or start the companion's progression from 1st level (as with a Druid) and make the changes retroactive.

      I'm an absolute newbie to altering the functionality of the software so I'm completely open to any advice, suggestions, or instruction those wiser and more experienced than I can offer.

      Thanks in advance!
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2012

        If the goal is to make the companions equal to a druid of the same level, then simply add this to a
        template:

        BONUS:VAR|CompLevel|x

        with x being the level difference you wish to offset. Ergo, if the Ranger gets the companion at
        level 5 and it acts as a Level 1, the x would be a 4. If you wanted the Companion to be stronger,
        like say 2 levels higher than your level, make x a 6.

        To add a Companion at first level, you'd be doing a little more work, but that is not quite so hard.

        You'll want to read up on PCC file usage and LST. Since it's always easier to edit your own homebrew
        files.

        If you need help with that, let me know. But this monkey needs to head off to slumber land.

        Cheers,