Game mode files (LST) as vendor data or adding sub-tabs from LST

  • zorden@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 26, 2012

      Two questions:

      1) Is there an easy way to change or add game modes through the vendor data model? Now I can create several LSTs for abilities, feats, classes but I need to implement other features which require the modification of the standard 35e game mode. Yes, these are the Skill Tricks.

      So i think I know what to modify but I'd like to do it as easy as possible and installing vendor data is a very convenient way. On top of all that the modification of core game mode files are just lost when PCGen is reinstalled.

      2) Is it possible to create sub-tabs on the UI by the means of LST files defined in a pcc file? If yes the question above is almost ignorable.

      Thanks!
      Peter
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 26, 2012

        For #1 - You can easily copy gamemodes in the new UI. Adding by way of the LST Install is also
        feasible, though I've not done it myself, but it should be possible.

        For #2 -
        Subtabs for Feats & Abilities is simply adding a new abilitycategory or DISPLAYLOCATION.

        More complex Subtabs would require coding knowledge.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012
          Thanks,

          And the new UI means 5.17.x? We are using the latest stable release (5.16.4). Thanks!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012

            Yeah, new UI 5.17.x

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012

              I have installed 5.17.15 (alpha). Could you give me an example how to create lst files to create a new subtab called Skill Tricks in the Feats & Abilities tab? I have a new ABILITYCATEGORY for this in my lst but it keeps appearing on the Class Abilities subtab.

              Thanks,
              Peter

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012

                ABILITYCATEGORY:Skill Trick
                CATEGORY:Special Ability
                TYPE:SkillTricks
                EDITABLE:YES
                EDITPOOL:YES
                DISPLAYLOCATION:Skill Tricks
                PLURAL:Skill Tricks

                What is displayed is whatever name you give DISPLAYLOCATION.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012
                  YES :-))) Sorry I'm tired and misread my ABILITYCATEGORY definition... All works like charm.

                  Last question: Can I install miscinfo.lst and
                  statsandchecks.lst through the normal vendor data lst install way?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012

                    I've never tried, but you should be able to in theory - again, I've never tried so it's a guess at
                    this point.

                  • Eric C Smith
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 27, 2012
                      Hi Peter,

                      When you say "vendor lst install way", what are you referring to? Are you talking about the "Data Install" feature found under the Sources menu?

                      If so, then yes, you can install files into the system folder, along with any lst files in the vendor/data folder. When I was running 3.5 games for my group I used a number of self coded sources. I set up my own gamemode so I could better control the sets my players used as well as deliver any updates to my set as required. The only issue I noted at first was that PCGen, at the time, issued warnings for each file you tried to install outside of the data/vendor folders, but it would still allow you to do the install.

                      Maredudd

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 28, 2012

                        Yes, I was referring that kind of install procedure. We are playing 3.5 games and yes i also have lots of code from non-OGL rulebooks we own. It would be a huge advantage if my players can install my game mode files along with the classes, abilities and others I provide for them.

                        Could you help me to accomplish this with some more detailed instructions or examples?

                        Thanks!
                        Peter

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Peter,
                        >
                        > When you say "vendor lst install way", what are you referring to? Are you talking about the "Data Install" feature found under the Sources menu?
                        >
                        > If so, then yes, you can install files into the system folder, along with any lst files in the vendor/data folder. When I was running 3.5 games for my group I used a number of self coded sources. I set up my own gamemode so I could better control the sets my players used as well as deliver any updates to my set as required. The only issue I noted at first was that PCGen, at the time, issued warnings for each file you tried to install outside of the data/vendor folders, but it would still allow you to do the install.
                        >
                        > Maredudd
                        >

                        > On Jun 27, 2012, at 10:28 AM, zorden@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > YES :-))) Sorry I'm tired and misread my ABILITYCATEGORY definition... All works like charm.
                        > >
                        > > Last question: Can I install miscinfo.lst and
                        > > statsandchecks.lst through the normal vendor data lst install way?
                        > >
                        > > Peter
                        > >
                        > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > ABILITYCATEGORY:Skill Trick
                        > > > CATEGORY:Special Ability
                        > > > TYPE:SkillTricks
                        > > > EDITABLE:YES
                        > > > EDITPOOL:YES
                        > > > DISPLAYLOCATION:Skill Tricks
                        > > > PLURAL:Skill Tricks
                        > > >

                        > > > What is displayed is whatever name you give DISPLAYLOCATION.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers,

                        > > > --
                        > > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        > > > Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors
                        > > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                        > > > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                      • Maredudd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 28, 2012
                          Hi Peter,

                          Look in the docs that come with PCGen under the LST Tag/OOC List File Tag section. Here you'll Find a description of all the tags used to build an OOC Data Set Instal file. You will also find an example of an install.lst file and a straight forward set of instructions on how to build the file for installation.

                          If you have any questions feel free to post back here.

                          Maredudd

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 2, 2012
                            Hi Maredudd,

                            I really read the docs and I have a homebrew dataset which is/can be installed as vendor data. By the way in 5.17.15 there isn't any visual feedback whether the install was or was not successful.

                            What I can't do and can't find in the docs is to install game mode (or outputsheet) files with the same method. My aim is to provide all the necessary files for my games.

                            Thanks!
                            P.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 2, 2012
                              Hi Peter,

                              Yeah, I don't believe we've explicitly mentioned the ability to install in other locations than the data or vendor folders but we can. The only 'trick' is to provide the appropriate folders in the install set. You will set up your installation file's folder structure this way:

                              === Install File Internal Structure ===
                              data set install folder (top folder)
                              -> install.lst
                              -> data
                              -> -> homebrew
                              -> -> -> zordens_campaign (Folder with your homebrew LST files.)
                              -> outputsheets (Folder with your homebrew OS files.)
                              -> system
                              -> -> gamemodes
                              -> -> -> zordens_campaign (Folder with your homebrew gamemodes files.)

                              NOTE: You can include a nested folder structure within each top level folder, i.e. data, outputsheets, characters, system, etc., with each such included folder being created if it does not already exist within PCGen. If the subfolders do exist the included files will be placed within the existing subfolder.

                              Does this help?

                              Maredudd

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 2, 2012

                                Sure it helps. I did not find notes about installing files like these I assumed it was not possible. :-)

                                I'm at work and can't test and try but does this method works even if I install my zip file as vendor data?

                                Right now my zip contains:
                                - install.lst
                                - data
                                -- NewWorld
                                --- rulebooks
                                ---- rulebook1 (with many LSTs)
                                ---- rulebook2 (with many LSTs)
                                --- supplements
                                ---- suppbook1 (with many LSTs)

                                As far as I can understand I can create the outputsheets and systems folder in the same level as data even if I install the whole package as Vendor Data.

                                And at last, do I have to use 35e game mode to use the RSRD sources and if yes my new files will have precedence over the 35e game mode files provided by PCGen?

                                Many many thanks!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 2, 2012
                                  Hi Peter,

                                  Comments added below.

                                  On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:26 AM, zorden@... wrote:
                                  > Sure it helps. I did not find notes about installing files like these I assumed it was not possible. :-)

                                  Yeah, thats because its not in there. I'll take an action to get the issue clarified in the docs. :-)

                                  > I'm at work and can't test and try but does this method works even if I install my zip file as vendor data?

                                  It should.

                                  > Right now my zip contains:
                                  > - install.lst
                                  > - data
                                  > -- NewWorld
                                  > --- rulebooks
                                  > ---- rulebook1 (with many LSTs)
                                  > ---- rulebook2 (with many LSTs)
                                  > --- supplements
                                  > ---- suppbook1 (with many LSTs)

                                  This looks good to me.

                                  > As far as I can understand I can create the outputsheets and systems folder in the same level as data even if I install the whole package as Vendor Data.

                                  Correct.

                                  > And at last, do I have to use 35e game mode to use the RSRD sources and if yes my new files will have precedence over the 35e game mode files provided by PCGen?

                                  I'll have to double check but in the pst I simply created a PCC file for my "Blackroot Campaign" gamemode that included all of the PCC files for the CMP data files that I allowed my players to use. The same can be done with the RSRD, only there will be far fewer PCC files to be included. :-)

                                  There is an issue though with embedded PCC files. Specifically, any "BONUS" tags included directly in a PCC file that is embedded inside of another PCC file will NOT be granted. We'd have to look into the RSRD files to see if anything would effected by this issue.

                                  > Many many thanks!

                                  My pleasure!

                                  Maredudd

                                  > Peter
                                  >
                                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Peter,
                                  > >
                                  > > Yeah, I don't believe we've explicitly mentioned the ability to install in other locations than the data or vendor folders but we can. The only 'trick' is to provide the appropriate folders in the install set. You will set up your installation file's folder structure this way:
                                  > >
                                  > > === Install File Internal Structure ===
                                  > > data set install folder (top folder)
                                  > > -> install.lst
                                  > > -> data
                                  > > -> -> homebrew
                                  > > -> -> -> zordens_campaign (Folder with your homebrew LST files.)
                                  > > -> outputsheets (Folder with your homebrew OS files.)
                                  > > -> system
                                  > > -> -> gamemodes
                                  > > -> -> -> zordens_campaign (Folder with your homebrew gamemodes files.)
                                  > >
                                  > > NOTE: You can include a nested folder structure within each top level folder, i.e. data, outputsheets, characters, system, etc., with each such included folder being created if it does not already exist within PCGen. If the subfolders do exist the included files will be placed within the existing subfolder.
                                  > >
                                  > > Does this help?
                                  > >
                                  > > Maredudd
                                  > >

                                  > > On Jul 2, 2012, at 4:40 AM, zorden@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Hi Maredudd,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I really read the docs and I have a homebrew dataset which is/can be installed as vendor data. By the way in 5.17.15 there isn't any visual feedback whether the install was or was not successful.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > What I can't do and can't find in the docs is to install game mode (or outputsheet) files with the same method. My aim is to provide all the necessary files for my games.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks!
                                  > > > P.

                                • rogerwllco
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 29, 2012
                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "zorden@..." <zorden@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,

                                    ---

                                    > And at last, do I have to use 35e game mode to use the RSRD sources and if yes my new files will have precedence over the 35e game mode files provided by PCGen?
                                    >
                                    > Many many thanks!
                                    > Peter

                                    What I did was basically change the pcc files and add my own GAMEMODE to them. This would need to be re-done every time the RSRD files would update as it would revert the edit. I still found it less work than writing my own pcc files (I don't update often).

                                    Not sure if that helps, but it might give you more ideas.