Questions on adding feats from a list

  • zorden@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2012

      One of my new class gains one bonus feat per 5 levels from a special list. I could code this (not nicely) but I have some questions:

      1) If I code in the class.lst

      5 <tab> ADD:FEAT|1|feat 1, feat2, feat3

      it works correctly, displays the chooser, user can choose which feat she likes. If I create an ability which uses the same ADD:FEAT token and in the class.lst I grant this ability with

      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Bonus Feat Ability

      the ability is granted but the chooser does not show up, no feats can be selected. Why is that?

      2) In the list of feats there are some Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus feats beside the Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration. When first the chooser is displayed the Greater Spell Focus feats don't show up because for them Spell Focus feats are requirements. And this is absolutely correct. But at the same time Greater Spell Penetration is shown up and selectable despite the Spell Penetration is not yet gained. When the Greater Spell Penetration is selected it is added to the user's feats and is marked with red.

      So why does PCGen work correctly in case of Spell Focus - Greater Spell Focus and why does not in case of Spell Penetration - Greater Spell Penetration?

      Thanks.
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2012
        On 6/21/2012 8:37 AM, zorden@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > One of my new class gains one bonus feat per 5 levels from a special
        > list. I could code this (not nicely) but I have some questions:
        >
        > 1) If I code in the class.lst
        >
        > 5 <tab> ADD:FEAT|1|feat 1, feat2, feat3
        >
        > it works correctly, displays the chooser, user can choose which feat
        > she likes. If I create an ability which uses the same ADD:FEAT token
        > and in the class.lst I grant this ability with
        >
        > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Bonus Feat Ability
        >
        > the ability is granted but the chooser does not show up, no feats can
        > be selected. Why is that?

        I'm going from memory here, but if you want the chooser for ADD:FEAT to
        show up, you need to use ADD:ABILITY instead of just ABILITY. (You might
        need to change AUTOMATIC to NORMAL, too; I forget.)

        > 2) In the list of feats there are some Spell Focus and Greater Spell
        > Focus feats beside the Spell Penetration and Greater Spell
        > Penetration. When first the chooser is displayed the Greater Spell
        > Focus feats don't show up because for them Spell Focus feats are
        > requirements. And this is absolutely correct. But at the same time
        > Greater Spell Penetration is shown up and selectable despite the Spell
        > Penetration is not yet gained. When the Greater Spell Penetration is
        > selected it is added to the user's feats and is marked with red.
        >
        > So why does PCGen work correctly in case of Spell Focus - Greater
        > Spell Focus and why does not in case of Spell Penetration - Greater
        > Spell Penetration?

        Is this for your ADD:FEAT tag, or for Spell Penetration/Greater Spell
        Penetration in general?

        If it's for your ADD:FEAT tag, I think ADD:FEAT ignores prerequisites,
        which is why you can choose Greater Spell Penetration. Greater Spell
        Focus has a CHOOSE:FEAT=Spell Focus tag, which means for it to activate
        (show up?) you need a Spell Focus feat. (It's not a PRExxx tag, so it's
        not ignored.)

        You should have better control of prerequisites if you make this using
        ABILITYCATEGORY instead of ADD:FEAT.

        DS/DL

      • zorden@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2012
          Thanks! I did manage to solve what i wanted and you are right about ignored requirements in case of ADD:FEAT. ABILITYCATEGORY is a good idea but my players like the popups more than searching for abilities on another tab. :-) Thanks again!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2012

            The Abilitycategory is the replacement to the ADDs, it does allow freedom to alter your choice if
            you goof up (With add, well you have to level down which is not fun).

            And with the new UI, you have a summary spot that sends you to any outstanding items. :) *It works
            great.