Setting casterlevel to BAB value (wrong calculation)

  • zorden@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012

      I have an ability which grants arcane casterlevel equal to the BAB of the character. The formula I use:

      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|TYPE.Arcane.RESET|BAB

      The BAB of the character is lvl 12 (Ftr: 7, Wiz: 1, phb2 prestige class: 5) but the new arcane casterlevel what pcgen calculates is 13. What am I missing?

      Peter

      PS: Is there a method which gets the CASTERLEVEL value by class, school or type?
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
        CASTERLEVEL isn't a regular variable; it's ... different. By which I
        mean, weird.

        The one level of wizard doesn't give you a +1 bonus to a caster level of
        type arcane; it gives you a base caster level of 1.

        Then, your bonus line adds 12 to it, because BAB=12. The RESET, I
        believe, may reset the bonus, but not the original base caster level
        value of 1.

        I wish there were a way to access and manipulate the caster level more
        easily, but one character could potentially have several caster levels,
        and bonuses that only affect certain spells, and the like. That
        probably makes changing the caster level more difficult to program.

        DJL

      • zorden@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012
          Unfortunately you seem to be right. When I add another one wizard level the BAB become 13, but the RESEted arcane caster level is 15.

          So I see how it goes wrong I just don't understand why. According to the docs:

          "What .RESET does is resets the caster level to the value specified instead of adding it to PC's caster level (which is what would usually be done)."

          Peter

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012

            My shot in the dark here... You're reseting a Broad Value, instead of a Single Instance. Which is
            why your Values are colliding...

            try:
            BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Wizard.RESET|BAB
            instead of

            BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|TYPE.Arcane.RESET|BAB

            What my guess is, All arcane is reset, great, but Wizard is set by Wizard and not arcane, Arcane is
            being set by the Wizard. But then Arcane doubles back to bonus Wizard as Wizard is Arcane.
            (Convoluted, but that would explain the two values) If you want the coders to chime in, you'll need
            to go to the Dev list.

            I suppose another workaround would be

            Wizard Class:

            BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Wizard|CL|TYPE=Base

            In your feat/ability/template
            BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|TYPE.Arcane.RESET|BAB|TYPE=Base

            that would prevent the stacking as well.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012

              Thanks. The problem is that this wizard can be absolutely any arcane spellcasting class even it could be more the one. The ability grants all selected arcane spellcaster levels equal to BAB so the workaround won't work unless I modify all these classes (including the stock ones).

              Let me tell more hope you can guide me further. I use

              ADD:SPELLCASTER|Arcane

              to add one level to existing spellcasting class. If the character has only one arcane spellcasting class it is improved but if it has more than one a chooser appears. Can you tell me how I can access the information that which class/classes was/were choosen? And how can I use this information to reset only these classes' arcane caster levels to BAB?

              Thanks,

              Peter

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2012

                I think this is going to end up being a Code Freq or Newtag.

                Pushing it to the Dev list as they understand how the inner code operates. And might have some insight.