Re: Am I Having a Brain Cramp, Or ...

  • George
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 5:48 PM
      > I have a couple of tags that don't seem to be working for me in 5.17.10. I'm not sure if I am just not using them correctly or if they are broken. The tags seem fairly straightforward, so ...
      >
      > Issue # 1
      >
      > I have a race with the following tags
      > SIZE:L
      > MONSTERCLASS:Animal:3
      > HITDICEADVANCEMENT:4,7,11,*
      >
      > To me this says that by default the creature is created as a Large creature using the 3 levels of the Animal class. It also tells me that if I add levels of the Animal class to this creature, at level 5 the creature's size increases to Huge. At level 8, the creature's size increases to Gargantuan. At level 12, the creature's size increases to Colossal. Finally, there is no limit to the number of hit dice this creature can have. To go along with this last statement, the Animal class has the tag MAXLEVEL:NOLIMIT.
      >
      > Now for the problem with this one. If I add levels of the Animal class to this creature, its size doesn't increase.

      OK, I've done quite a bit of testing on this one. I created a template with the tag BONUS:SIZEMOD|NUMBER|1 (syntax may be incorrect, but it should add a size increase to the creature). Here is what I found.

      I created a creature with the above race and gave it 5 HD. It should be Huge, but is instead Large. I then added the template and the size changed to Gargantuan. I then removed the template and the size switched back to Huge. I exported to a pdf file so that I had something to use in my game.

      Next, I saved the character and closed PCGen. I reopened PCGen and the character, and it was size Large again. I added the template, and it changed to Gargantuan as expected. I then saved, closed, and reopened the character. It was size Large again. I deleted the template, and the creature changed to Huge.

      Apparently, adding and removing the template with the SIZEMOD tag forces PCGen to recalcualte the size based on HD. I created a second template with BONUS:SIZEMOD|NUMBER|0. Adding it to and removing it from the character had no effect. I then changed this second template to have both BONUS:SIZEMOD|NUMBER|1 and BONUS:SIZEMOD|NUMBER|-1, and it worked just as well as the first template, without the side-effect of adding an extra size category.

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous