Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: File Updater

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 23, 2012
      I think it will partly depend on whether these are CMP only conversions or
      general conversions that our existing scripts have missed. I'd say that
      checking with Andrew would be a good starting point, any shell script would
      be great!

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 23, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        We haven't run the converter on the data sets, to maintain some modicum of backwards compatibility.
        Though the Pathfinder sets are no longer backwards compatible by virtue of necessary bug fixes.

        5.16 converter brings anything 5.14 to 5.16 standard.
        6.0 Converter brings anything 5.16 to the 6.0 standards (5.17 is part of the 6.0, and thus would
        bring everything forward to whatever point you were to actually run it).

        The deprecation messages will go away when we run the converter on our sets.

        On 2/23/2012 3:57 PM, FerretDave wrote:
        > Just for clarity, is there any enhancement in the 5.17.x converter or is that the same as the 5.16.x ?
        >
        > I still get a fair few 'deprecated' messages on source load (including numerous in the RSRD itself), will I continue to get those (and have the code work) until the 6.0 converter is released?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Dave

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> You can find the information to bring your data sets forward for the new versions of PCGen here:
        >>
        >> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Updating_Homebrew_Sets
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >>
        >> On 2/22/2012 1:29 PM, norvimgoldgrabben wrote:
        >>> Hi,
        >>>
        >>> I bought cmp5.12 files... is there an update to 5.16 somewhere?
        >>>
        >>> Thanks

        >> --
        >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2012
          ... I put my hand up and deserve to be laughed at.

          Looks like I managed to 'forget' to add the '-convert pcgen5120' option to PrettyLst when I've been running it, which explains why I've had to do so much additional conversion work!

          Perhaps I'm not the best guy to add any notes onto the wiki... Though I've learnt the hard way I guess.

          Rerunning it through to compare to a set I did the hard way, and looks like a good chunk of my effort was indeed wasted.

          That'll teach me to RTFM a bit more carefully!

          Cheers
          Dave

        • norvimgoldgrabben
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 15 8:29 AM
            It look very interesting...but you've lost me.

            I downloaded prettylst and everything... succeeded in running it (not easy for a non-programmer...) but ended up with a bunch or error, making it useless...

            Don't you have a simpler converter? Don't you use CMP data? or WotC books? or are you only playing DnD with SRD?

            From a personnal point... what made me go in part to 4e, was the great character builder with updates... CMP data where perfect but useless when everything got bump out. At never understood we the PGgen group didn't made an updater for those, its not like you're distributing it :\ I guess I'll have to stick to my 5.12.1 :( 5.16 look so great but is useless since I can't use any of my books and I don't understand anything in the lst files. You're brighter than me for that!

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

            > ... I put my hand up and deserve to be laughed at.
            >
            > Looks like I managed to 'forget' to add the '-convert pcgen5120' option to PrettyLst when I've been running it, which explains why I've had to do so much additional conversion work!
            >
            > Perhaps I'm not the best guy to add any notes onto the wiki... Though I've learnt the hard way I guess.
            >
            > Rerunning it through to compare to a set I did the hard way, and looks like a good chunk of my effort was indeed wasted.
            >
            > That'll teach me to RTFM a bit more carefully!
            >
            > Cheers
            > Dave
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think it will partly depend on whether these are CMP only conversions or
            > > general conversions that our existing scripts have missed. I'd say that
            > > checking with Andrew would be a good starting point, any shell script would
            > > be great!
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > On 24 February 2012 12:53, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > Greetings,
            > > >
            > > > I'll take that as official sanction :-) thanks Gents.
            > > >
            > > > As I use cygwin to run bash shell scripts, I have automated a chunk, but
            > > > its not going to be the most popular method... but certainly I can upload
            > > > what I have and describe the process.
            > > >
            > > > While I can read perl, I haven't written anything in it myself, but will
            > > > (at some point) take a look at Baraks scripts and see if I can enhance
            > > > those, rather than adding another step in the manual process for cygwin
            > > > scripts.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers
            > > >
            > > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@>

            > > > usually

            > > > of
            > > > be
            > > > remove

            > > > CMP
            > > > ork

            > > > sets,

            > > > included
            > > > responsibility

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 15 8:55 AM
              Re: CMP data / WotC books.

              They are not OGL (ie. open) data/books, so we can not support them
              directly. Prettylst and the wiki page on how to update is the most that
              we are allowed to do under the terms of the OGL.

              If you are having errors running prettylst post them here and folks will
              help. If the issue is just too many "data" errors that need updating,
              the suggestion is to take it one book at a time.

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)