Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] How to create a template for closed source material... please help

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
      Have you had a look at any other templates that are shipped with PCGen?
      You should be able to get a start from there - K

      On 5 December 2011 19:08, balingar <balingar@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I would like to create a template that Changes a creature to a type of
      > construct. This will do several things. First it changes Creature TYPE to
      > Construct. it will then change it HD from what ever it was to d10 and
      > remove all but 1 HD gained from Class level. it will add 4 to STR and
      > subtract 2 from DEX, and set CON and INT to 0(thus removing any bonus HP
      > from CON bonus), and set WIS to 11 and CHA to 1. then Based on the
      > creatures size it will grant Bonus HP +10 for small, +20 Medium,+30 Large,
      > +40 Huge, +60 Gargantuan, +80 Colossal. It will Gain +2 AC for Bonus
      > Natural Armor(above and beyond any the base creature also might have had).
      > BAB is reset to 3/4 x HD. If the Base creature was Humanoid or could use
      > weapons it gets a Slam attack based on size Fine or Diminutive —, Tiny 1
      > slam (1d2 plus 1-1/2 × Str bonus), Small 1 slam (1d3 plus 1-1/2 × Str
      > bonus), Medium 1 slam (1d4 plus 1-1/2 × Str bonus), Large 2 slams (1d6 plus
      > Str bonus), Huge 2 slams (2d6 plus Str bonus), Gargantuan 2 slams (3d6 plus
      > Str bonus), Colossal 2 slams (4d6 plus Str bonus). there is more that needs
      > to happen, but someone might ahve already worked on this and can point me
      > in the right direction.
      > Thanks,
      > John

    • John Bauldree
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
        Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing. maybe it's kit? in the Monster
        manual I believe they are called templates. ie. Half-dragon, Vampire.
        I want to take a base creature add a "template" to make it a construct with
        different attributes and abilities

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
          Hi,

          Template File:

          My New Monster
          RACETYPE:Construct
          (That changes the RACETYPE to Construct)
          TEMPLATE:Construct
          (That adds the Construct Traits which will take away the CON Score, it will also change the HP based
          upon size)

          We have Templates that will assign Slam Damage already, You just need to add or make one of those.

          Slam (Fine) is for FINE Creatures. You just need to use

          TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Slam (Fine)|Slam (Tiny)|etc...

          Repeat for all the sizes you anticipate. The Template Chooser will allow your selection based upon
          the creature size.

          What we can't do today is remove class or racial levels. It's in the works, but don't expect it to
          happen.

          I happen to be working on changing how Racial Types and Traits are assigned. But that won't go into
          effect until 5.17.10.

          For the bonus to stats - easy enough

          BONUS:STAT|STR|4 (Repeat for each stat you want to modify)

          Locking stats, just look at the construct template for that.

          BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=NaturalArmor.STACK

          If you need further assistance, just ask.

          On 12/6/2011 12:04 PM, John Bauldree wrote:
          > Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing. maybe it's kit? in the Monster
          > manual I believe they are called templates. ie. Half-dragon, Vampire.
          > I want to take a base creature add a "template" to make it a construct with
          > different attributes and abilities
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Have you had a look at any other templates that are shipped with PCGen?
          >> You should be able to get a start from there - K
          >>
          >> On 5 December 2011 19:08, balingar <balingar@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> **
          >>> I would like to create a template that Changes a creature to a type of
          >>> construct. This will do several things. First it changes Creature TYPE to
          >>> Construct. it will then change it HD from what ever it was to d10 and
          >>> remove all but 1 HD gained from Class level. it will add 4 to STR and
          >>> subtract 2 from DEX, and set CON and INT to 0(thus removing any bonus HP
          >>> from CON bonus), and set WIS to 11 and CHA to 1. then Based on the
          >>> creatures size it will grant Bonus HP +10 for small, +20 Medium,+30
          >> Large,
          >>> +40 Huge, +60 Gargantuan, +80 Colossal. It will Gain +2 AC for Bonus
          >>> Natural Armor(above and beyond any the base creature also might have
          >> had).
          >>> BAB is reset to 3/4 x HD. If the Base creature was Humanoid or could use
          >>> weapons it gets a Slam attack based on size Fine or Diminutive ---, Tiny 1
          >>> slam (1d2 plus 1-1/2 × Str bonus), Small 1 slam (1d3 plus 1-1/2 × Str
          >>> bonus), Medium 1 slam (1d4 plus 1-1/2 × Str bonus), Large 2 slams (1d6
          >> plus
          >>> Str bonus), Huge 2 slams (2d6 plus Str bonus), Gargantuan 2 slams (3d6
          >> plus
          >>> Str bonus), Colossal 2 slams (4d6 plus Str bonus). there is more that
          >> needs
          >>> to happen, but someone might ahve already worked on this and can point me
          >>> in the right direction.
          >>> Thanks,
          >>> John

          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • John Bauldree
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
            How would I change a base creatures BAB from whatever it curently is to
            HD*3/4 ( the same BAB as a cleric)?

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
              Hi,

              BAB is set by the "Class" the creature takes - We use Class for HD as well. Currently there is no
              method to zero out the BAB I'm aware of. Most creatures are already using a 3/4 progression, only
              exception would be Undead, Dragons and Magical Beasts off the top of my head, those use a 1/1
              progression.

              Is this the one were you remove all the classes? If so, the creature will only qualify for the
              Construct Class, which has the BAB you already want.

              If that wasn't the case, and I'm assuming this was for HD based BAB (Non-Class Levels) you could do
              a formula based upon Levels taken. This gets complicated, but it could be done in theory. I'm not
              going to put one here since I don't think it's needed at this point and time.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
                I am trying to reset a griffon's (Magical Beast) BAB. Could I create a new
                Class then have a template change the griffon to that class?
                John

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
                  BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|-var("CL=Magical Beast")
                  BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|3/4*TL
                  or if you know the class your griffon will be taking for advancement change the 'TL' to
                  'var("CL=Class Name")'

                  You could manually remove the levels and replace them with Construct levels, the BAB would come out
                  correctly for you then.