Goliath Character Race and Goliath Barbarian Substitution Levels

  • f_reber
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
      Hello,

      has anybody already tried to create the Goliath Race already? I'm trying at the moment, and the basics (Stats, Skill Bonus, LA) where no big deal, but I got a little bit stuck when coming to abilities like Powerfull Build. Have you coded this, especially the ability to wield weapons one size category larger without penalty, just as a SA:-Text, or is there a way to code that so that it is reflected in the stats when equipping a large weapon? Same for the grappling modifiers ...

      Additionally, I'm currently trying to code the Goliath Barbarian Racial Substitution Levels ... but yet doesn't know how to code even Lvl. 1. First of all I never coded a racial substitution level before, and additionally have no idea how to change the Rage ability to the Mountain Rage, but still use the variables (STR and DEX bonus, Number of Rages, Duration of Rage), and last but not least the "impromptu" size change ...

      (For the ones that don't know the race and the substitution levels from the books a short explanation:
      Goliath Race: Except from ability changes, LA, Skill Bonuses and some other common stuff, Goliaths are so large that they are yet considered Medium creatures, but nontheless have some special advantages of Large creatures, e.g. the ability to wield Large weapons without penalty and having the grapple modifiers as well as the modifiers to withstand being bull rushed and the like as if they were Large (Powerful Build ability).
      Goliath Barbarian Racial Substitution Level 1: Instead of Rage, the Goliath gains Mountain Rage. It has basically the same variables as rage - for duration, DEX penalty, CON and STR bonus, number of rages per day - and can also be affected as the Rage ability by Feats (like Extra Rage and Extended Rage) and additional barbarian levels (thus, gaining additional rages per day, gaining the additional CON and STR bonus from Greater Rage and Mighty Rage (but naming it Greater Mountain Rage and Mighty Mountain Rage)), but modifying it a bit - i.e., there is an additional modifier for abilitites as well as that the raging creature is gaining one size category, along with the BAB and AC malus, the reach increase, but without the ability change for Large creatures. Additionally, the bonuses for Grapple and the ability to wield large weapons do not improve, since they are already improved by powerfull build (so, you don't have the grapple-modifier of a huge creature, but still of a large, and you can't wield huge weapons without penalty).
      Sorry - I think this desription is not the best or cleares, but I didn't want to copy the text from the book. If somebody owns Races of Stone, there are the Race and the substituion level...)

      Thanks for any help,
      Best regards,
      Florian
    • distant_scholar
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
        A few comments and questions:
        0. Asking directly about non-open content is generally frowned upon. It's better to ask something like "how do you code up an ability that does this?" than "how do you code up ability X from
        book Y"? It also helps those who don't own the book (or have it open) help you with it.
        1. What game system are you intending this for? 3.5? Pathfinder? 3.0? Something else?
        2. Size changes are annoyingly difficult. Size changing is even more annoyingly difficult in Pathfinder. Having coded up[1] the half-giant and the expansion power for Pathfinder psionics, I have some experience in this area.
        3. Having said that, the newest data does have some modifiers encoded for Enlarge Person (for 3.5, at least). That would give you something to start from.

        That will hopefully give you a start on some things. It's possible someone's set up some scaffolding to help with changing size that I don't know about, and it's easier than it used to be, but I haven't seen it yet.

        DS/DL

        [1]Or tried to, anyway.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
          Welcome to the PCGen community.

          The ability 'powerful build' has successfully been duplicated, and its variants. In at least 3.5e
          version there are EQMODs to allow a larger weapon size without the penalties.

          To code a substitution class requires you to edit the lst files in the data/homebrew folder, make
          those your own - Consult the documentation included in there, I don't want to have to repeat things
          that are said better there. Once you've set that up, simply MOD the class in question.

          As an example:

          CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
          SUBSTITIONCLASS:Name of the Class <tab> PRERACE:1,Race Name
          SUBSTITIONLEVEL:1 <tab> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ability Name

          Then you'll just need the abilities coded up that you want.

          For the raging, just look up any existing barbarian, the way it's coded up is right there -
          'abilities_class' and 'classes_base' would be the two best locations to see the interactions for that.

          The moderators won't get on your case for asking about 'closed content' materials (Which covers most
          of the supplemental books put out by Wizards of the Coast) but we do frown on posting entire
          material about the closed content. Hence, Doug's comment about keeping it generic serves a two-fold
          purpose - it allows anyone to help you without requiring the book, and keeps the moderators happy.

          I'd add, asking for a broad shotgun assistance - how do I code, a, b, c and x, y, z is likely to
          prevent most users from responding, since we innately want to solve the entire slew of problems.
          But, that means only really experienced monkeys can help, so limit it to one or two questions and
          you'll find your questions answered faster.

          Once you get most of that set up, don't hesitate to ask for specific issues.

          Cheers,

          On 11/7/2011 11:54 AM, f_reber wrote:
> [...]
          > Sorry - I think this desription is not the best or cleares, but I didn't want to copy the text from the book. If somebody owns Races of Stone, there are the Race and the substituion level...)

        • f_reber
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
            Hell Andrew and Distant_Scholar,

            thanks for your help and also your hint about the closed content. I knew that sharing closed content was forbidden, but not that discussing some parts of closed content material is also frowned upon. I'll pay more attention to this in the future.

            I now managed to code the race and at least the first level of the Substitution class with your hints, so thanks a lot about them.

            Size change really was not easy, I tried it with the tag that changes the creature size as a whole, but I didn't want the full Stat changes, so decided to code the different change as single tags one by one and was mostly successfull.

            I now have two quite special quesions, perhaps someone can help me with them. I'm using PcGen 5.12. and an 3.5 game mode in the FR - quite old, but perhaps someone still can help.
            - The reach is not shown either on the preview tab nor on the PDF Exports - is this correct, or did I just miss something?
            - how can I change the text in the "Barbarian Rage" element in the first page of the preview tab? Is there anyway without digging into Java code? I until only did find the xml to change the PDF sheet for the export

            Thank you,
            Best regards,
            Florian

            > Welcome to the PCGen community.
            >
            > The ability 'powerful build' has successfully been duplicated, and its variants. In at least 3.5e
            > version there are EQMODs to allow a larger weapon size without the penalties.
            >
            > To code a substitution class requires you to edit the lst files in the data/homebrew folder, make
            > those your own - Consult the documentation included in there, I don't want to have to repeat things
            > that are said better there. Once you've set that up, simply MOD the class in question.
            >
            > As an example:
            >
            > CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
            > SUBSTITIONCLASS:Name of the Class <tab> PRERACE:1,Race Name
            > SUBSTITIONLEVEL:1 <tab> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ability Name
            >
            > Then you'll just need the abilities coded up that you want.
            >
            > For the raging, just look up any existing barbarian, the way it's coded up is right there -
            > 'abilities_class' and 'classes_base' would be the two best locations to see the interactions for that.
            >
            > The moderators won't get on your case for asking about 'closed content' materials (Which covers most
            > of the supplemental books put out by Wizards of the Coast) but we do frown on posting entire
            > material about the closed content. Hence, Doug's comment about keeping it generic serves a two-fold
            > purpose - it allows anyone to help you without requiring the book, and keeps the moderators happy.
            >
            > I'd add, asking for a broad shotgun assistance - how do I code, a, b, c and x, y, z is likely to
            > prevent most users from responding, since we innately want to solve the entire slew of problems.
            > But, that means only really experienced monkeys can help, so limit it to one or two questions and
            > you'll find your questions answered faster.
            >
            > Once you get most of that set up, don't hesitate to ask for specific issues.
            >
            > Cheers,
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
              Hi Florian,

              Unfortunately it's almost impossible for us to help - we only actively
              maintain 5.16.x and 5.17.x, I'm afraid 5.12.x is consigned to the history
              archives for us.

              You can follow an upgrade path if you wish:

              http://wiki.pcgen.org/Updating_Homebrew_Sets

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
                K is right, 5.12 is old...

                Reach is displayed, has been for a long time. I would need to see a PDF or export to see what you
                have going on. But again, reach has been included for as long as I can recall. (I've been around the
                project since 5.6 or so).

                Cheers,