Alternatate class features and substitution levels

  • Arjan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
      I've been coding up some classes with alternate class features and/or substitution levels for my own use and I was wondering how best to go about this. It's all closed content (Unearthed Arcana stuff if you know the book).

      Alternate Class Features:
      I noticed the Alternative Class Feature tab. Can someone point me to some code where an ACF is coded. It look promising but I've yet to encounter code or docs utilising this.
      Lot's of books introduce ACF's. The basis is that an character trades one classfeature for something else. Can this be done with the ACF feature in PCGen?

      Substitution Levels:
      Lot's of book introduce substitution levels. Basically it comes down to "instead of level X in class Y you take this level. For your next level you take level X+1 in class Y". Level X in class Y is skipped. Often substitution levels consist of 3 levels which can be taken at lvl 3,6 and 9 for instance. Not all three substitutionlevels have to be taken but lvl 3 cannot be taken without lvl 2.
      Can this be done or do I have to make a complete new class?

      Any help is, as usual, appreciated.
      Arjan
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
        > Substitution Levels:
        > Lot's of book introduce substitution levels. Basically it comes down to
        "instead
        > of level X in class Y you take this level. For your next level you take
        level X+1 in
        > class Y". Level X in class Y is skipped. Often substitution levels consist
        of 3 levels
        > which can be taken at lvl 3,6 and 9 for instance. Not all three
        substitutionlevels
        > have to be taken but lvl 3 cannot be taken without lvl 2.
        > Can this be done or do I have to make a complete new class?

        Check out the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS and SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL tags in the docs. :)

        Barak

        PS: UA is mostly open content IIRC
      • Arjan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          Thanx, that seems pretty self explanatory. Never noticed these tags before. Then again, never had need for them before.

          Now to tackle the ACF's.

          Arjan

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2011
            I want to revive this since I didn't get a complete answer on this question. I've gotten further with the origional question.

            I've been trying to tackle the alternate class features problem with substitutionlevels. This works great for ACF who only affect 1 level. ACF's that do affect multiple levels are a problem.

            I cannot seem to force the choice of the 2nd substitutionlevel. Normaly this is fine since you don't have to take the entire substitution class. ACF's are all or nothing. You have to take all levels or none.

            IS there a way to enforce this or an other way to code ACF's? The docs didn't reveal any.

            Regards,
            Arjan

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Arjan" <arjan@...> wrote:

            > Thanx, that seems pretty self explanatory. Never noticed these tags before. Then again, never had need for them before.
            >
            > Now to tackle the ACF's.
            >
            > Arjan

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
              Bump

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011

                A few methods come to mind, it depends on how thorough you want:
                Set an ability or Template that grants everything else based upon the level of the originating class
                - which can negate the other class abilities if needed. See "Archetypes" in Pathfinder to see how
                this was implemented.

                You don't need to even implement a substitution class, you just take the ability.

                ACF is set up so you can implement it the same way as Archetypes.

                Cheers,