Re: Prestige Class with new SPELLLIST at higher level

  • distant_scholar
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6 5:28 PM
      I think SPELLLIST only works on CLASS lines. I don't know if you can do a PRExxx with it, but if you can, that might give you what you need.

      I wish it could be used in other places, like race files. (Stupid nagas. Stupid lama matriarch.)

      DS/DL

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "rogerwllco" <g.a.renting@...> wrote:

      > Greetings fellow simians,
      >
      > I'm trying to convert my large set of files from 5.14 to 5.16.4
      > I've wrangled them enough so that the batch-convert tool accepts them without error.
      > But when I try to load them in PCGen 5.16.4, I get plenty of errors. I will start with just one:
      >
      > I have a Prestige Class that should get access to the Cleric spell list at level 10.
      >
      > I have something along these lines:
      > CLASS MyClass
      > 1
      > 2
      > 3
      > 4
      > 5
      > 6
      > 7
      > 8
      > 9
      > 10 SPELLLIST:1|Cleric
      >
      > Of course there's much more to this class, but as the material is not OGL I've left all the non essential stuff out.
      >
      > This is what PCGen tells me:
      >
      > LSTERROR: Data used token: 1|Cleric which is a Class token, but it was used in a class level line other than level 1
      > LSTERROR: ILLEGAL TOKEN 'SPELLLIST' '1|Cleric' for pcgen.cdom.inst.PCClassLevel MyClass(10)
      >
      > It seems PCGen wants me to add the SPELLLIST at level 1, but the class only gets it at level 10. How to do this?
    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7 6:27 AM
        According to the documentation it works on CLASS, SUBCLASS and SUBCLASSLEVEL.
        Your comment gave me an idea:
        I added a line
        CLASS PRECLASS:1,MyClass=10 SPELLLIST:1|Cleric

        But that didn't work. It now required to have 10 levels of MyClass before entering MyClass

        I then thought of something else, as the documentation mentions SUBCLASS.

        So I tried

        CLASS MyClass
        SUBCLASS PCgenWorkAround
        SUBCLASSLEVEL:10 SPELLLIST:1|Cleric

        This didn't show up in PCGen, so I thought maybe there needs to be something on the SUBCLASS line

        CLASS MyClass
        SUBCLASS PCgenWorkAround SPELLTYPE:Divine
        SUBCLASSLEVEL:10 SPELLLIST:1|Cleric

        This shows up in PCGen and allows me to choose the workaround subclass. It doesn't give me the Cleric Spell list at level 10 though.

        So it still doesn't work.

        I also tried in my old 5.14, as there there is no error, but apparently it's just ignored silently there. It doesn't grant the spell list either, even though it doesn't complain about it. It's how CMP coded it into the dataset, but apparently it never actually worked, PCGen just didn't complain about it.

        I find it very strange that PCGen doesn't have a way to make this work, there are plenty of Classes and Prestige Classes that have this, although I don't know of any OGL ones.

        Cheers,

        RogerWilco

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7 8:57 AM

          SPELLLIST only works on Class Line, it does not take PRExxx tags.

          You can get fancy with SPELLLEVEL or SPELLKNOWN, beyond that don't know of any easy method.

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7 11:51 AM
            Not according to the documentation.

            "Where it is used:
            Class Line, SubClass line or SubClassLevel line."

            http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesclasses.html#SPELLLIST
            (the 5.16.4 docs say the same)

            But when I tried it on the SUBCLASSLEVEL line, it didn't seem t work.

            So either the documentation is wrong, I'm using it wrong or it doesn't work. I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

            See my other reply to distant_scolar for how I'm trying to use it.

            Cheers,

            RogerWilco

            > SPELLLIST only works on Class Line, it does not take PRExxx tags.
            >
            > You can get fancy with SPELLLEVEL or SPELLKNOWN, beyond that don't know of any easy method.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > On 9/6/2011 5:28 PM, distant_scholar wrote:
            > > I think SPELLLIST only works on CLASS lines. I don't know if you can do a PRExxx with it, but if you can, that might give you what you need.
            > >
            > > I wish it could be used in other places, like race files. (Stupid nagas. Stupid lama matriarch.)
            > >
            > > DS/DL
            > >
            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "rogerwllco" <g.a.renting@> wrote:
            > >> Greetings fellow simians,
            > >>
            > >> I'm trying to convert my large set of files from 5.14 to 5.16.4
            > >> I've wrangled them enough so that the batch-convert tool accepts them without error.
            > >> But when I try to load them in PCGen 5.16.4, I get plenty of errors. I will start with just one:
            > >>
            > >> I have a Prestige Class that should get access to the Cleric spell list at level 10.
            > >>
            > >> I have something along these lines:
            > >> CLASS MyClass
            > >> 1
            > >> 2
            > >> 3
            > >> 4
            > >> 5
            > >> 6
            > >> 7
            > >> 8
            > >> 9
            > >> 10 SPELLLIST:1|Cleric
            > >>
            > >> Of course there's much more to this class, but as the material is not OGL I've left all the non essential stuff out.
            > >>
            > >> This is what PCGen tells me:
            > >>
            > >> LSTERROR: Data used token: 1|Cleric which is a Class token, but it was used in a class level line other than level 1
            > >> LSTERROR: ILLEGAL TOKEN 'SPELLLIST' '1|Cleric' for pcgen.cdom.inst.PCClassLevel MyClass(10)
            > >>
            > >> It seems PCGen wants me to add the SPELLLIST at level 1, but the class only gets it at level 10. How to do this?

            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • rogerwllco
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7 12:50 PM
              Greetings simians,

              I'm still struggling with this. I'm now trying to first make the most simple case work: Give access to the SPELLLIST.

              To this effect I'm now only adding a line like this:

              CLASS:MyClass SPELLLIST:4|Cleric|DOMAIN.Good|DOMAIN.Air|DOMAIN.Law

              So my PrestigeClass now looks something like this (I left a lot out):

              CLASS:MyClass HD:4 TYPE:Prestige.PC ABB:MyC MAXLEVEL:10 SOURCELONG:Complete Divine SOURCESHORT:cmpdvn SOURCEPAGE:p.54 BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|((CL/2)+2) BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Fortitude|(CL/3) BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(CL/2)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE
              CLASS:MyClass PRESPELLTYPE:1,Arcane=3
              CLASS:MyClass STARTSKILLPTS:2 CSKILL:Spellcraft
              CLASS:MyClass SPELLLIST:4|Cleric|DOMAIN.Good|DOMAIN.Air|DOMAIN.Law

              If I add this PrC as a level 5 Wizard, I don't get any of the Cleric or Domain spells to show up, either under Wizard or somewhere else on the Spells tab.

              So how do I have this PrC grant those spell lists?

              Cheers,

              RogerWilco

            • Barak
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7 10:57 PM
                > If I add this PrC as a level 5 Wizard, I don't get any of the Cleric or
                Domain
                > spells to show up, either under Wizard or somewhere else on the Spells
                tab.

                Umm, I'm not completely sure, but I think SPELLTYPE is required too.

                Try adding SPELLTYPE:Divine and I bet you some new spells show up (You may
                need SPELLSTAT also, not sure).

                Barak
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8 8:06 AM

                  On 9/7/2011 11:51 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
                  > Not according to the documentation.
                  >
                  > "Where it is used:
                  > Class Line, SubClass line or SubClassLevel line."

                  That should probably read:

                  Class Line, Subclass Line and SubstitutionClass Line.

                  SPELLLIST does not work on a Level line anywhere to my knowledge. Sorry, looks like you found a typo.

                  > http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesclasses.html#SPELLLIST
                  > (the 5.16.4 docs say the same)
                  >
                  > But when I tried it on the SUBCLASSLEVEL line, it didn't seem t work.
                  >
                  > So either the documentation is wrong, I'm using it wrong or it doesn't work. I'm hoping someone here can tell me.
                  >
                  > See my other reply to distant_scolar for how I'm trying to use it.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >

                  > RogerWilco

                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> SPELLLIST only works on Class Line, it does not take PRExxx tags.
                  >>
                  >> You can get fancy with SPELLLEVEL or SPELLKNOWN, beyond that don't know of any easy method.
                  >>
                  >> Cheers,
                  >>
                  >> On 9/6/2011 5:28 PM, distant_scholar wrote:
                  >>> I think SPELLLIST only works on CLASS lines. I don't know if you can do a PRExxx with it, but if you can, that might give you what you need.
                  >>>
                  >>> I wish it could be used in other places, like race files. (Stupid nagas. Stupid lama matriarch.)
                  >>>
                  >>> DS/DL

                  >> --
                  >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                  >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                  > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                  > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8 8:10 AM
                    Could you please raise a DOC bug at jira.pcgen.org, thanks! - K

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9 6:47 AM
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                      > Could you please raise a DOC bug at jira.pcgen.org, thanks! - K

                      I did. Signing up for jira.pcgen.org was a pain though. I needed to fill 15 CATCHA's before it accepted me. I almost gave up.

                      Cheers,

                      RogerWilco