Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Animal Companion, Size Change, and Natural Weapon woes

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
      I'm using 5.17.8.

      I've had the idea of trying a template to change the size, and trying to
      "overwrite" the natural attack, but I haven't tested it to see if it
      works yet.

      DS/DL

      On 8/31/2011 11:37 PM, Andrew wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > What version of PCgen are you testing this against?
      >
      > On 8/31/2011 4:44 PM, distant_scholar wrote:
      > > I'm having a bit of difficulty with getting the correct natural
      > weapon damage for a couple of animal companions (These are from
      > Pathfinder's Bestiary 2).
      > >
      > > The arsinoitherium companion starts at Medium size with a 1d8 gore.
      > At 7th level, its size increases to Large, and its gore damage
      > increases to 2d8. The size change will bump the damage from 1d8 to 2d6
      > automatically. Another size bump changes the damage from 2d6 to 3d6
      > [which might be incorrect for Pathfinder, I'm not sure]. I haven't
      > figured out how to get it to be 2d8.
      > >
      > > [Note that if I give it a new natural attack, it 'triggers' before
      > the size change, and the size change will then bump up the damage dice
      > of the new natural attack beyond what is entered.]
      > >
      > > A somewhat similar case is the gylptodon. It starts at Medium size
      > with claws that do 1d8 damage. At 7th level, its size increases to
      > Large, and its claws increase to 1d10 damage. However, the size bump
      > takes the claw damage past 1d10 to 2d6.
      > >
      > > Any ideas on how to approach this?
      > >
      > > DS/DL, who had to unlearn how to spell "arsinotherium" and "glyptodon".

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
        Hi Doug,

        Did you manage to get this resolved?

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
          No, I haven't. The original natural attack was kept, rather than the
          overwrite. The non-standard attack die increase is still giving me trouble.

          Hmm ... can a NATURALATTACKS tag have a PRExxx tag on it? Maybe I could
          use a PRExxx tag to 'take away' the old natural attack when I add the
          new template...

          DS/DL

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011

            PRExxx won't work on Natural Attacks

            On 9/8/2011 10:22 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
            > No, I haven't. The original natural attack was kept, rather than the
            > overwrite. The non-standard attack die increase is still giving me trouble.
            >
            > Hmm ... can a NATURALATTACKS tag have a PRExxx tag on it? Maybe I could
            > use a PRExxx tag to 'take away' the old natural attack when I add the
            > new template...
            >
            > DS/DL
            >
            > On 9/7/2011 12:17 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
            >> Hi Doug,
            >>
            >> Did you manage to get this resolved?

            >> On 1 September 2011 05:02, Doug Limmer <adventure@...
            >> <mailto:adventure%40mailworks.org>> wrote:
            >>
            >>> **
            >>>

            >>> I'm using 5.17.8.
            >>>
            >>> I've had the idea of trying a template to change the size, and trying to
            >>> "overwrite" the natural attack, but I haven't tested it to see if it
            >>> works yet.
            >>>
            >>> DS/DL

            >> "glyptodon".

            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • Doug Limmer
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
              Yeah, I just discovered that.

              However, I did manage to put the NATURALATTACK into an ABILITY, and put
              a PRETEMPLATE onto that ABILITY. So now, the old natural attack goes
              away when the template (with the new natural attack) is added.

              Kind of kludgy, but it seems to work.

              DS/DL

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011

                I can't help but feel I recommended that a while ago... de ja vu...

                But looking at the thread, I'm not sure if I sent it. Maybe it was someone else I sent it too.

                Andrew Maitland