Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: pathfinder

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 24 6:21 PM
      The first one is a template, so you'd want that in a template file.

      The second one is an ability, so you'd want that in an ability file.

      I'm not sure it's a good idea to edit the "custom" files by hand,
      though. And I don't think MULT and STACK are available in the built-in
      LST editor (yet?), so that won't help you here. It's probably a good
      idea to make your own "homebrew" data set. Look in the
      data/homebrew/my_dataset directory (under the PCGen<some number>
      directory) to help you get started with your own data set.

      DS/DL

      On 8/24/2011 6:31 PM, Charlie wrote:

      > i didn't see that somehow .. sorry how do you put that in is it
      > customfeat.lst customclass.lst and do i add exactly what you put?
      >
      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "distant_scholar"
      > <adventure@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I thought I gave an answer
      > > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/message/21739> to
      > > this. Does it not work? Or do you have questions about it?
      > >

      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charlie" <paelias501@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i'm looking to make a favored class bonus for psychic warrior
      > > >
      > > > i want it to be like the wizzard one where it gives you extra spells
      > > but for the psychic warrior.
      > > >
      > > > when i try to add another spell over what the psychic warrior's total
      > > number it says cannot add over your total 1st level spell and you dont
      > > have any higher level slots
      > > >
      > > > how would i bypass that

    • Charlie
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 25 10:30 PM
        how do you use templates

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

        > The first one is a template, so you'd want that in a template file.
        >
        > The second one is an ability, so you'd want that in an ability file.
        >
        > I'm not sure it's a good idea to edit the "custom" files by hand,
        > though. And I don't think MULT and STACK are available in the built-in
        > LST editor (yet?), so that won't help you here. It's probably a good
        > idea to make your own "homebrew" data set. Look in the
        > data/homebrew/my_dataset directory (under the PCGen<some number>
        > directory) to help you get started with your own data set.
        >
        > DS/DL
        >
        > On 8/24/2011 6:31 PM, Charlie wrote:
        > >
        > > i didn't see that somehow .. sorry how do you put that in is it
        > > customfeat.lst customclass.lst and do i add exactly what you put?
        > >
        > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "distant_scholar"
        > > <adventure@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I thought I gave an answer
        > > > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/message/21739> to
        > > > this. Does it not work? Or do you have questions about it?
        > > >

        > > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charlie" <paelias501@>

        > > > but for the psychic warrior.

        > > > number it says cannot add over your total 1st level spell and you dont
        > > > have any higher level slots

      • Charlie
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 25 10:39 PM
          i found the templates tab but there is not the psychic warrior one you made up in there i put it in the file
          C:\Users\elythium\AppData\Local\PCGen\PCGen5177\data\customsources\customTemplates.lst but it didn't show up in pcgen

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

          > The first one is a template, so you'd want that in a template file.
          >
          > The second one is an ability, so you'd want that in an ability file.
          >
          > I'm not sure it's a good idea to edit the "custom" files by hand,
          > though. And I don't think MULT and STACK are available in the built-in
          > LST editor (yet?), so that won't help you here. It's probably a good
          > idea to make your own "homebrew" data set. Look in the
          > data/homebrew/my_dataset directory (under the PCGen<some number>
          > directory) to help you get started with your own data set.
          >
          > DS/DL
          >
          > On 8/24/2011 6:31 PM, Charlie wrote:
          > >
          > > i didn't see that somehow .. sorry how do you put that in is it
          > > customfeat.lst customclass.lst and do i add exactly what you put?
          > >
          > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "distant_scholar"
          > > <adventure@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I thought I gave an answer
          > > > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/message/21739> to
          > > > this. Does it not work? Or do you have questions about it?
          > > >

          > > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charlie" <paelias501@>

          > > > but for the psychic warrior.

          > > > number it says cannot add over your total 1st level spell and you dont
          > > > have any higher level slots

        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 26 2:33 AM
            As is often the case, it'd be much easier to show you how to do it in
            person, than via e-mail. :-)

            See if these steps help:

            1. Go to ...\data\homebrew and look for the "my_dataset" directory.
            2. Make a copy of the my_dataset directory (still inside the homebrew
            directory) and rename it something memorable.
            3. Rename my__campaign.pcc to something more memorable, but keep the
            .pcc extension.
            4. Edit that file in your favorite text editor. You'll need to at
            least change the GAMEMODE to Pathfinder. You'll probably want to
            change the CAMPAIGN and/or SETTING as well, so it's easier to find
            later. Also, remove the # from in front of the ABILITY and TEMPLATE
            lines. Save the file.
            5. Edit my_templates.lst and where it says #insert your data here, put
            the template I described earlier. (Note that I listed each tag as a
            separate line, but they should be all on one long line separated by
            tabs in the .lst files.) Save the file.
            6. Edit my_abilities.lst and where it says #insert your data here, put
            the favored class ability I described earlier. (And again, make it
            one long line, separated by tabs.) Save the file.

            When you run PCGen, you'll want to load both the Pathfinder sources you
            are using, and also the new set you just made. Your new set might be
            under the "Homebrew" list, but it depends on how you edited the .pcc file.

            Then, when you make the character, you'd choose the favored class
            ability as per usual (although it won't actually do anything), and then
            in the Race tab, Templates subtab, add the template.

            If you haven't done something like editing raw web page data before, it
            can be confusing at first. Try it out, and let me know how it goes.

            DS/DL

            P.S. To explore further: There is some helpful information in the files
            you'll be editing, in the how_to_use_this file in the directory
            (although it's a bit dated), and even more help in the documentation (in
            the Help menu). In the documentation, look under List Files. I would
            start with "PCC and List Files Explained" and the "LST File Class".
            Look at how the core rulebook abilities were written up for lots of
            helpful examples. (Look, but don't touch!)

            On 8/26/2011 1:39 AM, Charlie wrote:

            > i found the templates tab but there is not the psychic warrior one you
            > made up in there i put it in the file
            > C:\Users\elythium\AppData\Local\PCGen\PCGen5177\data\customsources\customTemplates.lst
            > but it didn't show up in pcgen
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug Limmer
            > <adventure@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The first one is a template, so you'd want that in a template file.
            > >
            > > The second one is an ability, so you'd want that in an ability file.
            > >
            > > I'm not sure it's a good idea to edit the "custom" files by hand,
            > > though. And I don't think MULT and STACK are available in the built-in
            > > LST editor (yet?), so that won't help you here. It's probably a good
            > > idea to make your own "homebrew" data set. Look in the
            > > data/homebrew/my_dataset directory (under the PCGen<some number>
            > > directory) to help you get started with your own data set.
            > >
            > > DS/DL
            > >
            > > On 8/24/2011 6:31 PM, Charlie wrote:
            > > >
            > > > i didn't see that somehow .. sorry how do you put that in is it
            > > > customfeat.lst customclass.lst and do i add exactly what you put?
            > > >
            > > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "distant_scholar"

            > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charlie" <paelias501@>

            > spells

            > warrior's total
            > you dont

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 26 2:47 AM
              Hi Doug,

              The steps you outlined - they're more or less in our list classes help
              documentation right?

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 26 4:38 AM
                Hi Kar & Co.!

                I've got a class partially complete on using my_dataset and will be making a oush to get it done and in after I get the current data set ready for review. Then we'll have a LST File class to get folks started.

                Maredudd

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 26 5:17 AM
                  Sounds great! Thanks Eric.

                  On Friday, 26 August 2011, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
> [...]
                  >> > in the Race tab, Templates subtab, add the template.
                  >> >
                  >> > If you haven't done something like editing raw web page data before, it
                  >> > can be confusing at first. Try it out, and let me know how it goes.
                  >> >
                  >> > DS/DL
                  >> >
                  >> > P.S. To explore further: There is some helpful information in the files
                  >> > you'll be editing, in the how_to_use_this file in the directory
                  >> > (although it's a bit dated), and even more help in the documentation
                  (in
                  >> > the Help menu). In the documentation, look under List Files. I would
                  >> > start with "PCC and List Files Explained" and the "LST File Class".
                  >> > Look at how the core rulebook abilities were written up for lots of
                  >> > helpful examples. (Look, but don't touch!)

                  C:\Users\elythium\AppData\Local\PCGen\PCGen5177\data\customsources\customTemplates.lst

                • Charlie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 26 12:37 PM
                    that worked great only 1 hiccup and it's not a bit deal is the ability you set up it wont let me take more then once in pcgen but thank you so much gaming is tonight and i finally have him almost completely right on paper

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 26 1:03 PM

                      Oh, to take an ability multiple times you need to add:

                      MULT:YES
                      CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                      STACK:YES

                      Mind you, you need to have a method to take it manually, or have a class that adds it more...

                      Cheers,

                    • Charlie
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 27 1:03 AM
                        they are already in there and it didn't work this is the FCB that i used

                        Bonus Psychic Warrior Power
                        CATEGORY:Special Ability
                        TYPE:SpecialQuality.FavoredClassBonus
                        VISIBLE:YES
                        PRECLASS:1,Psychic Warrior=1
                        PRERACE:1,Human
                        DESC:Add one power known from the psychic warrior power list. This
                        power must be at least one level below the highest power level the
                        psychic warrior can manifest.
                        STACK:YES
                        MULT:YES
                        CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 27 9:34 AM

                          That will allow you to take the ability multiple times. I know that if I plug that in to any of my
                          testing sets, it will work. Though, I do wonder, if you're bonusing the Power, how are you choosing
                          which power?

                          Didn't you have some other choice, or am I crazy?

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 27 9:48 AM
                            In what way did it not work? Did the file fail to load? Does the
                            ability not appear? Does the ability appear but you can't choose it?
                            Can you choose the ability but it doesn't seem to do anything? Does it
                            "hang up" or crash if you try to choose the ability? Something else?

                            DS/DL

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 27 10:04 AM

                              I'm about to rush out the door and disappear for a long while, so here is some food for thought.

                              If the Ability Already has a CHOOSE:x, then you don't need to add CHOOSE:NOCHOICE.
                              If you want to take the same choice multiple times then you need "STACK:YES"
                              If the ability doesn't have "MULT:YES" then the CHOOSE won't work period.

                              If I had more time I'd explain how to have the one prime ability, and then you could choose the
                              power level by secondary abilities, but alas, I don't today.

                              Doug seems to have a good grasp of the concepts, and troubleshooting. If you need help, just look at
                              how the abilities were coded up for Bonus Spells for the other Favored Class Abilities in the
                              Advanced Players Guide.

                              Cheers,

                              On 8/27/2011 9:48 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                              > In what way did it not work? Did the file fail to load? Does the
                              > ability not appear? Does the ability appear but you can't choose it?
                              > Can you choose the ability but it doesn't seem to do anything? Does it
                              > "hang up" or crash if you try to choose the ability? Something else?
                              >
                              > DS/DL
                              >
                              > On 8/27/2011 4:03 AM, Charlie wrote:
                              >> they are already in there and it didn't work this is the FCB that i used
                              >>
                              >> Bonus Psychic Warrior Power
                              >> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                              >> TYPE:SpecialQuality.FavoredClassBonus
                              >> VISIBLE:YES
                              >> PRECLASS:1,Psychic Warrior=1
                              >> PRERACE:1,Human
                              >> DESC:Add one power known from the psychic warrior power list. This
                              >> power must be at least one level below the highest power level the
                              >> psychic warrior can manifest.
                              >> STACK:YES
                              >> MULT:YES
                              >> CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                              >>
                              >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                              >> <mailto:PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                              >>> Hi,
                              >>>
                              >>> Oh, to take an ability multiple times you need to add:
                              >>>
                              >>> MULT:YES
                              >>> CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 27 10:12 AM
                                Hi Folks!

                                Should there not be a BONUS:ABILITYPOOL in here somewhere?

                                I'm assuming that Psychic Warrior Power is granted through an abilitypool.

                                Maredudd

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 27 10:43 AM
                                  Hi Folks!

                                  Oh, I see. It will require a BONUS:KNOWNSPELL tag to add the additional power.

                                  It looks like you will need to add several Favored Class bonuses, one for each power level.

                                  Maredudd

                                  On Aug 27, 2011, at 1:12 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:

                                  > Hi Folks!
                                  >
                                  > Should there not be a BONUS:ABILITYPOOL in here somewhere?
                                  >
                                  > I'm assuming that Psychic Warrior Power is granted through an abilitypool.
                                  >
                                  > Maredudd
                                  >
                                  > On Aug 27, 2011, at 4:03 AM, Charlie wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> they are already in there and it didn't work this is the FCB that i used
                                  >>
                                  >> Bonus Psychic Warrior Power
                                  >> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                                  >> TYPE:SpecialQuality.FavoredClassBonus
                                  >> VISIBLE:YES
                                  >> PRECLASS:1,Psychic Warrior=1
                                  >> PRERACE:1,Human
                                  >> DESC:Add one power known from the psychic warrior power list. This
                                  >> power must be at least one level below the highest power level the
                                  >> psychic warrior can manifest.
                                  >> STACK:YES
                                  >> MULT:YES
                                  >> CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                                  >>
                                  >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Hi,
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Oh, to take an ability multiple times you need to add:
                                  >>>
                                  >>> MULT:YES
                                  >>> CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 27 7:07 PM
                                    it only lets me take it 1 time the says you already have that when trying to take it a second time

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 30 1:58 PM
                                      I just tried this out myself (PCGen 5.17.8) and it let me take it more
                                      than once. I'm not quite sure what to say.

                                      Here's a guess. Maybe there are spaces (or new lines) rather than tabs
                                      between the tags?

                                      Make a character with this ability, and then look at the character
                                      sheet. Can you find the description of the ability, and see what it says?

                                      DS/DL