Item granting BONUS to all Knowledge Skills

  • garouwithnoname
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
      Greetings. I'm trying to add an item that my Pathfinder GM made up, and it doesn't seem to be working.

      The item is a book that gives me a +5 (untyped) bonus to all Knowledge skills. It also gives an extra spell slot of every level that my Wizard can cast. I was working on the Knowledge skill bonus first before I tried to add spell slots.

      Here is the relevant section in the help files:
      Tag Name: BONUS:SKILL|x,x|y
      Variables Used (x): Text (Skill name)
      Variables Used (x): TYPE=Text (Skill type)
      Variables Used (y): Number, variable or formula (Number to add to skill level)

      Here is the most relevant example:
      BONUS:SKILL|TYPE=Charisma|2
      Adds 2 to Charisma type skills.

      So here's what I did:
      Big Buk of Undrstandin Stuf TYPE:Magic.Wondrous.Book BONUS:SKILL|TYPE=Intelligence.Knowledge|5 NUMPAGES:100 COST:50000 WT:1 SOURCEPAGE:Homebrew

      I loaded the file, added the item to the character, equipped it, and checked his output file. The skills were not getting the bonus but the item was showing up on the output sheet.

      Just to be sure, I went in and chaged the bonus to BONUS:SKILL|ALL|5 and that did, in fact, add the bonus to all my skills. So it's not a matter of equipping it or any of the other tags. It's the bonus itself that I'm doing wrong.

      So if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. If you also happen to know how to add the spell slots, that'd be a great bonus for me to not have to look it up, but I'm most concerned about the skill bonus first.

      Thanks in advance.
      -Chris
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
        Try just TYPE=Knowledge (no Intelligence.) and see if that works.

        DS/DL

        On 8/6/2011 5:52 PM, garouwithnoname wrote:

        > Greetings. I'm trying to add an item that my Pathfinder GM made up,
        > and it doesn't seem to be working.
        >
        > The item is a book that gives me a +5 (untyped) bonus to all Knowledge
        > skills. It also gives an extra spell slot of every level that my
        > Wizard can cast. I was working on the Knowledge skill bonus first
        > before I tried to add spell slots.
        >
        > Here is the relevant section in the help files:
        > Tag Name: BONUS:SKILL|x,x|y
        > Variables Used (x): Text (Skill name)
        > Variables Used (x): TYPE=Text (Skill type)
        > Variables Used (y): Number, variable or formula (Number to add to
        > skill level)
        >
        > Here is the most relevant example:
        > BONUS:SKILL|TYPE=Charisma|2
        > Adds 2 to Charisma type skills.
        >
        > So here's what I did:
        > Big Buk of Undrstandin Stuf TYPE:Magic.Wondrous.Book
        > BONUS:SKILL|TYPE=Intelligence.Knowledge|5 NUMPAGES:100 COST:50000 WT:1
        > SOURCEPAGE:Homebrew
        >
        > I loaded the file, added the item to the character, equipped it, and
        > checked his output file. The skills were not getting the bonus but the
        > item was showing up on the output sheet.
        >
        > Just to be sure, I went in and chaged the bonus to BONUS:SKILL|ALL|5
        > and that did, in fact, add the bonus to all my skills. So it's not a
        > matter of equipping it or any of the other tags. It's the bonus itself
        > that I'm doing wrong.
        >
        > So if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. If you also
        > happen to know how to add the spell slots, that'd be a great bonus for
        > me to not have to look it up, but I'm most concerned about the skill
        > bonus first.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > -Chris

      • garouwithnoname
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
          Heh. Yep, that was it. Thanks! Got the bonus spells, too. That took just this:
          BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=ALL|1
          Which wasn't in the docs, but I figured it was worth a shot, and it worked, so, cool.

          Thanks again!

          -Chris

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2011

            Not in the docs eh? We'll have to rectify that then.

            BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=ALL|1 - Need to include 'ALL' as a valid entry
            <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DOCS-117>