A feat to choosing a skill

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
      Greetings,

      I've got a feat, that lets you take a cross class skill, makes it a (permanent) class skill, and gives you a bonus of 2 to it.

      Using 5.17.7

      I've got:
      MyFeat
      STACK:NO
      CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST|1
      BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2
      CSKILL:LIST

      but loading the source gives:
      SEVERE Ability (FEAT) MyFeat had MULT:NO but did have CHOOSE

      Which is right, I dont want this feat to be taken more than once...

      Suggestions/corrections please?
      Cheers
      Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
        Hi Dave,

        All CHOOSE tags _*MUST*_ have a MULT:YES tag to operate. If you don't want the feat taken more than
        once use NUMCHOICES=1 like so:

        CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST|1

        Which frankly, in 5.17.7 is archaic code.

        5.16 I'd use CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|CROSSCLASS
        5.17 I'd use CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|ALL|CROSSCLASS

        The 5.17 code can be found here:
        http://wiki.pcgen.org/Architecture_Changes_5.17#CHOOSE_Rebuild

        Cheers,

        On 6/12/2011 3:50 PM, FerretDave wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I've got a feat, that lets you take a cross class skill, makes it a (permanent) class skill, and gives you a bonus of 2 to it.
        >
        > Using 5.17.7
        >
        > I've got:
        > MyFeat
        > STACK:NO
        > CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST|1
        > BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2
        > CSKILL:LIST
        >
        > but loading the source gives:
        > SEVERE Ability (FEAT) MyFeat had MULT:NO but did have CHOOSE
        >
        > Which is right, I dont want this feat to be taken more than once...
        >
        > Suggestions/corrections please?
        > Cheers
        > Dave

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2011
          Greetings,
          Thank you Mr M, much appreciated (as ever).

          Just to confirm, rather than:
          CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|ALL|CROSSCLASS

          I would actually want:
          CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|CROSSCLASS
          So I *only* get the crossclass? "ALL|CROSSCLASS" flagged as an error, and checking the docs that would be 'all skills, or any cross class skills' which gives me absolutely everything?

          and I've added in a MULT:YES tag and it no longer errors - now if you must have a MULT:YES for a CHOOSE, and if you enter MULT:YES, then you likewise *must* have a CHOOSE, doesn't that make the 'MULT:YES' extraneous? Cant just putting the 'CHOOSE' in forceably assume the MULT:YES, as its not going to work without it anyway?

          Cheers
          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2011

            On 6/13/2011 5:55 AM, FerretDave wrote:
            > Greetings,
            > Thank you Mr M, much appreciated (as ever).

            You're welcome.

            > Just to confirm, rather than:
            > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|ALL|CROSSCLASS
            > I would actually want:
            > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILL|CROSSCLASS
            > So I *only* get the crossclass? "ALL|CROSSCLASS" flagged as an error, and checking the docs that would be 'all skills, or any cross class skills' which gives me absolutely everything?

            Ah, yes, the top is written slightly different than the bottom. Use SKILL|CROSSCLASS

            > and I've added in a MULT:YES tag and it no longer errors - now if you must have a MULT:YES for a CHOOSE, and if you enter MULT:YES, then you likewise *must* have a CHOOSE, doesn't that make the 'MULT:YES' extraneous? Cant just putting the 'CHOOSE' in forceably assume the MULT:YES, as its not going to work without it anyway?

            There has been some thought to making just such a change as they're both required.