Spells not found on load character but available when loaded

  • Arjan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 12:25 PM
      I've run into a strange thing. I'm trying to code up a part of Tome of Battle. I won't go into specifics since it is closed source but maybe you can help out.

      I decided that ToB is in essence a new magic system and want to work. I made a new class, a new spelltype and some spells. All seems to work. But.

      When I load my character up with spells, save it and reload it something strange happens. PCGen says it cannot find the spells. My loaded character is spellless. When I go to the spell tab I can see my spells and add them again. Saving and reloading gives the same result however.

      Any idea how to fix this?

      Thanx,
      Arjan
    • Arjan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 12:26 PM
        O, Im using PCGen 5.17.6, loading the RSRD and some homebrew. Running on XP.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Arjan" <arjan@...> wrote:

        > I've run into a strange thing. I'm trying to code up a part of Tome of Battle. I won't go into specifics since it is closed source but maybe you can help out.
        >
        > I decided that ToB is in essence a new magic system and want to work. I made a new class, a new spelltype and some spells. All seems to work. But.
        >
        > When I load my character up with spells, save it and reload it something strange happens. PCGen says it cannot find the spells. My loaded character is spellless. When I go to the spell tab I can see my spells and add them again. Saving and reloading gives the same result however.
        >
        > Any idea how to fix this?
        >
        > Thanx,
        > Arjan

      • Arjan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6 1:21 PM
          Hmmm, it's kinda slow here.

          I did some experimenting myself and found the following.

          I'm using statements like these to allow or disallow "spells" based on the homebrew VAR IL (comparable yo caster level) and other known spells:

          CLASSES:Foo=1[PREMULT:2,[PREVARGTEQ:IL,5],[PRESPELLSCHOOL:1,Monkey=1]]

          These tags seem to mess things up. Removing them solves the "cannot find spell on character load" problem. But it should work if I'm not mistaken.

          So, bug?

          Thanx,
          Arjan

          Message 4 of 5 , May 6 1:26 PM

            Two things:

            PREMULT may not be fully supported there, which is probably one of your issues

            Second - CLASSES w/ a PRExxx drains your resources. You'll get a nasty performance drain.

            Try placing the PREMULT off the CLASSES line if possible.

            On 5/6/2011 1:21 PM, Arjan wrote:
            > Hmmm, it's kinda slow here.
            >
            > I did some experimenting myself and found the following.
            >
            > I'm using statements like these to allow or disallow "spells" based on the homebrew VAR IL (comparable yo caster level) and other known spells:
            >
            > CLASSES:Foo=1[PREMULT:2,[PREVARGTEQ:IL,5],[PRESPELLSCHOOL:1,Monkey=1]]
            >
            > These tags seem to mess things up. Removing them solves the "cannot find spell on character load" problem. But it should work if I'm not mistaken.
            >
            > So, bug?
            >
            > Thanx,
            > Arjan
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Arjan" <arjan@...> wrote:
            >> I've run into a strange thing. I'm trying to code up a part of Tome of Battle. I won't go into specifics since it is closed source but maybe you can help out.
            >>
            >> I decided that ToB is in essence a new magic system and want to work. I made a new class, a new spelltype and some spells. All seems to work. But.
            >>
            >> When I load my character up with spells, save it and reload it something strange happens. PCGen says it cannot find the spells. My loaded character is spellless. When I go to the spell tab I can see my spells and add them again. Saving and reloading gives the same result however.
            >>
            >> Any idea how to fix this?
            >>
            >> Thanx,
            >> Arjan

          • Arjan
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6 2:38 PM
              The PREMULT in the example is the most extensive PRE tag I have. Most just consist of the PREVARGTEQ tag. With the same result: spell not found. The PREMULT tag seems to be function just as good (or bad) as the PREVARGTEQ tag alone.

              Moving the PREMULT of the classline would force me to rethink the whole setup. Or move the rules implementation to the pen and paper side of the game. I'm going to have to think about this one.

              Anyway, thanx Andrew for your help, as always.

              Arjan