Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Adding Skill Ranks & Weapon Proficiencies Within A Template

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 7, 2011
      Hi,

      On 4/7/2011 11:32 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
      > And two more problems: My simple template now reads:
      >
      > Kingmaker (Wizard)
      > CSKILL:Profession (Sailor)
      > BONUS:SKILL|Profession (Sailor)|2
      > BONUS:SKILLRANK|Profession (Sailor)|4
      > FEAT:Martial Weapon Proficiency|Exotic Weapon Proficiency
      >
      > 1. Only 1 skill rank for Profession (Sailor) seems to be showing up, not the intended 4

      The Skill Rank shows only what the Gamemode Skill Rank Max will allow. I.e. if this is Pathfinder
      and a level 1 character, you're only going to see '1' skill rank, until you reach Level 4.

      > 2. The goal is to have the template grant a free weapon proficiency. I thought that the FEAT tag would bring up a choose for the listed feats, but it doesn't seem to have any effect

      AUTO:FEAT if you want to grant the Feats, if you want a choice, I'd recommend making an abilitypool
      / abilitycategory.

      > Many thanks for any help you can offer.
      >
      > 5.14.6 running Pathfinder
      >
      > Allen

    • Allen Cohn
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
        Thank you so much for this.

        I ended up using

        AUTO:WEAPONPROF|Longsword

        instead of

        AUTO:FEAT

        Maybe that's two ways of skinning the same cat.

        (PS: The documentation lists "AUTO:WEAPONPROF|Sword (Long)", so you might want to change that.)

        Follow-up question: is it possible to remove a feat using a template? My DM is making item creation feats out of bounds for PCs so I need to remove Scribe Scroll from my wizard.

        Thanks,
        Allen

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
          Hi,

          Longsword not Sword (Long) for the AUTO:WEAPONPROF entry. <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DOCS-60>

          On 4/8/2011 9:41 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
          > Thank you so much for this.
          >
          > I ended up using
          >
          > AUTO:WEAPONPROF|Longsword
          >
          > instead of
          >
          > AUTO:FEAT
          >
          > Maybe that's two ways of skinning the same cat.
          >
          > (PS: The documentation lists "AUTO:WEAPONPROF|Sword (Long)", so you might want to change that.)
          >
          > Follow-up question: is it possible to remove a feat using a template? My DM is making item creation feats out of bounds for PCs so I need to remove Scribe Scroll from my wizard.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Allen
          >
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew<drew0500@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>

          >> On 4/7/2011 11:32 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
          >>> And two more problems: My simple template now reads:
          >>>
          >>> Kingmaker (Wizard)
          >>> CSKILL:Profession (Sailor)
          >>> BONUS:SKILL|Profession (Sailor)|2
          >>> BONUS:SKILLRANK|Profession (Sailor)|4
          >>> FEAT:Martial Weapon Proficiency|Exotic Weapon Proficiency
          >>>
          >>> 1. Only 1 skill rank for Profession (Sailor) seems to be showing up, not the intended 4
          >> The Skill Rank shows only what the Gamemode Skill Rank Max will allow. I.e. if this is Pathfinder
          >> and a level 1 character, you're only going to see '1' skill rank, until you reach Level 4.
          >>
          >>> 2. The goal is to have the template grant a free weapon proficiency. I thought that the FEAT tag would bring up a choose for the listed feats, but it doesn't seem to have any effect
          >> AUTO:FEAT if you want to grant the Feats, if you want a choice, I'd recommend making an abilitypool
          >> / abilitycategory.
          >>
          >>> Many thanks for any help you can offer.
          >>>
          >>> 5.14.6 running Pathfinder
          >>>
          >>> Allen

        • Allen Cohn
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
            Thanks for trackering this.

            Does anyone have any advice on my other question: how to remove the Scribe Scroll feat from my wizard (preferably via a template)?

            Thanks,
            Allen

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
              Hi,

              Sorry, didn't even see that question.

              Latest SVN grab you can use the ACF function under Abilities, OR, your Template can have:

              ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Remove Scribe Scroll

              That will remove the Scribe Scroll from the Wizard. Mind you you must have the latest svn update for
              the scribe scroll.

              SVN - 14769

              These were implemented partially to handle the Unearthed Arcana Alternate Class Features.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                Sweet! What serendipity.

                I'm trying to do this in Pathfinder (5.16.4). I'm not facile with going through the repository, but it appears that this update is only 3.5. Is that correct?

                Thanks,
                Allen

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                  Hi,

                  Yes, 3.5e is the only version I've partially implemented this for.

                  http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/?view=tar

                  grab that, and replace the basic folder.

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                    Since, it's not in Pathfinder, I'm trying to figure out a way to implement myself in my customizations.

                    I think I figured out how you did it...very clever. You created a special ability "Remove Scribe Scroll" and used it as a preprequisite toggle on the granting of Scribe Scroll within the wizard class definition.

                    I can easily create a similar special ability in my custom abilities file for Pathfinder.

                    But is it possible to MOD the granting of the Scribe Scroll feat within the level-dependent line of the wizard class definition so that it has that prerequisite? I don't know how to do that.

                    Failing that, may I (or you) add the prerequesite to the appropriate tag within the distributed Pathfinder definition of wizard, since it won't have any impact on anything else? (Don't know if I'm allowed to "touch" it.)

                    Allen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                      Hi,

                      Seems some one eventually wants to remove something we don't have set up to be removed. All of the
                      other class abilities are set up for removal, except that one little feat in Pathfinder.

                      In answer, AUTO:FEAT can't be removed if I recall the discussion with the coders correctly. With
                      that in mind, you'll have to mimic what I did to get the same result. I'll look at implementing it
                      in Pathfinder later on. But I'm a tad busy at work to do that. (What looked to be 5 minutes of work
                      tops, was the result of pre-implementation work already in place).

                      Feel free to do whatever you'd like in your personal copy though.

                      Cheers,

                      On 4/10/2011 8:44 AM, Allen Cohn wrote:
                      > Since, it's not in Pathfinder, I'm trying to figure out a way to implement myself in my customizations.
                      >
                      > I think I figured out how you did it...very clever. You created a special ability "Remove Scribe Scroll" and used it as a preprequisite toggle on the granting of Scribe Scroll within the wizard class definition.
                      >
                      > I can easily create a similar special ability in my custom abilities file for Pathfinder.
                      >
                      > But is it possible to MOD the granting of the Scribe Scroll feat within the level-dependent line of the wizard class definition so that it has that prerequisite? I don't know how to do that.
                      >
                      > Failing that, may I (or you) add the prerequesite to the appropriate tag within the distributed Pathfinder definition of wizard, since it won't have any impact on anything else? (Don't know if I'm allowed to "touch" it.)
                      >
                      > Allen
                      >

                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew<drew0500@...> wrote:
                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >> Yes, 3.5e is the only version I've partially implemented this for.
                      >>
                      >> http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/?view=tar
                      >>
                      >> grab that, and replace the basic folder.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,

                    • Allen Cohn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                        Thanks for the feedback.

                        FYI, everything seemed to work perfectly for me by just adding that one special ability in my custom ability file and appending that one prerequisite to the appropriate AUTO tag in my downloaded copy of the distributed class definition file.

                        That's why I thought perhaps I could do it for you.

                        I'll just modify my personal copy for now.

                        Thanks,
                        Allen

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                          Hi,

                          Having it set up to work for homebrews universal vs. just as a hack for one is the main difference.
                          If I'm going to set it up, I want it to be as easily found as the 3.5e version, and don't want to
                          have to have people look at the code to figure out how to use it.

                          The ability "Remove Scribe Scroll" is just a name I used, I could as easily called it "Manchow
                          Debris" and it'd still work. Since I wanted it to be universally useful in extra applications. In
                          order to achieve that, I need to have the correct ability pool set up so others can use it out of
                          the box. The philosophy is do it right the first time.

                          Glad it works for you.

                          On 4/10/2011 12:10 PM, Allen Cohn wrote:
                          > Thanks for the feedback.
                          >
                          > FYI, everything seemed to work perfectly for me by just adding that one special ability in my custom ability file and appending that one prerequisite to the appropriate AUTO tag in my downloaded copy of the distributed class definition file.
                          >
                          > That's why I thought perhaps I could do it for you.
                          >
                          > I'll just modify my personal copy for now.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Allen
                          >
                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew<drew0500@...> wrote:
                          >> Hi,
                          >>
                          >> Seems some one eventually wants to remove something we don't have set up to be removed. All of the
                          >> other class abilities are set up for removal, except that one little feat in Pathfinder.
                          >>
                          >> In answer, AUTO:FEAT can't be removed if I recall the discussion with the coders correctly. With
                          >> that in mind, you'll have to mimic what I did to get the same result. I'll look at implementing it
                          >> in Pathfinder later on. But I'm a tad busy at work to do that. (What looked to be 5 minutes of work
                          >> tops, was the result of pre-implementation work already in place).
                          >>
                          >> Feel free to do whatever you'd like in your personal copy though.
                          >>
                          >> Cheers,

                        • Allen Cohn
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 10, 2011
                            I hear you.

                            (I think I'm going to rename my ability "Manchow Debris" just for style.)

                            Allen