Choosing between a bonus feat or +1 level to spell casting

  • deiter.irons
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
      Hi all,

      If this has been answered before please point me to that post.

      I am working on a prestige class that grants the following:

      "Bonus feat or +1 level to an existing spellcaster class"

      I think I have a handle on the two different components:

      BONUS:FEAT|POOL|1
      and,
      ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY

      But how would I combine these to allow you to choose either the bonus feat or the spellcaster level?

      Using PCGen 5.16.1

      Thanks in advance,
      Deiter.
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
        Bump :)

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
          We need you to learn how to answer a few of these Kar :P

          To Deiter Iron,

          LST Editing 101 -

          Read the Docs, otherwise this won't make sense:

          # Ability File

          +1 Bonus Feat
          KEY:Bonus Feat
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
          DESC:You get a Bonus Feat
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|1
          MULT:YES
          CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
          STACK:YES

          Add a Caster Level
          KEY:Bonus Caster Level
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
          ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY
          CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
          STACK:YES
          MULT:YES

          # ABILITYCATEGORY File

          ABILITYCATEGORY:Feat or Caster
          TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          EDITABLE:YES
          EDITPOOL:YES
          DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
          VISIBLE:QUALIFY
          PLURAL:Feats or Caster Levels

          # CLASS File

          CLASS:Your Class
          1 <tab> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Feat or Caster|1

          # Summary
          I set up an ability category pool that will hold either the bonus feat or the add a spellcaster
          deal, you choose one or the other. Obviously, you'll want to rename the class to the one you are using.

          If you have any questions do follow up.

          Cheers,

          On 2/16/2011 9:13 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > Bump :)
          >
          > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM, deiter.irons<deiter.irons@...>wrote:
          >

          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> If this has been answered before please point me to that post.
          >>
          >> I am working on a prestige class that grants the following:
          >>
          >> "Bonus feat or +1 level to an existing spellcaster class"
          >>
          >> I think I have a handle on the two different components:
          >>
          >> BONUS:FEAT|POOL|1
          >> and,
          >> ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY
          >>
          >> But how would I combine these to allow you to choose either the bonus feat
          >> or the spellcaster level?
          >>
          >> Using PCGen 5.16.1
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance,
          >> Deiter.

        • Deiter Irons
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17, 2011
            Andrew,

            Thanks, I would never have thought of doing that. But it does make sense.

            Deiter

            On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>wrote:

            > We need you to learn how to answer a few of these Kar :P
            >
            > To Deiter Iron,
            >
            > LST Editing 101 -
            >
            > Read the Docs, otherwise this won't make sense:
            >
            > # Ability File
            >
            > +1 Bonus Feat
            > KEY:Bonus Feat
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
            > DESC:You get a Bonus Feat
            > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|1
            > MULT:YES
            > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
            > STACK:YES
            >

            > Add a Caster Level
            > KEY:Bonus Caster Level
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
            > ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY
            > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
            > STACK:YES
            > MULT:YES
            >
            > # ABILITYCATEGORY File
            >
            > ABILITYCATEGORY:Feat or Caster
            > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > EDITABLE:YES
            > EDITPOOL:YES
            > DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
            > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
            > PLURAL:Feats or Caster Levels
            >
            > # CLASS File
            >
            > CLASS:Your Class
            > 1 <tab> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Feat or Caster|1
            >

            > # Summary
            > I set up an ability category pool that will hold either the bonus feat or
            > the add a spellcaster
            > deal, you choose one or the other. Obviously, you'll want to rename the
            > class to the one you are using.
            >
            > If you have any questions do follow up.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >

            > > On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM, deiter.irons<deiter.irons@...
            > >wrote:
            > >

            > >> Hi all,
            > >>
            > >> If this has been answered before please point me to that post.
            > >>
            > >> I am working on a prestige class that grants the following:
            > >>
            > >> "Bonus feat or +1 level to an existing spellcaster class"
            > >>
            > >> I think I have a handle on the two different components:
            > >>
            > >> BONUS:FEAT|POOL|1
            > >> and,
            > >> ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY
            > >>
            > >> But how would I combine these to allow you to choose either the bonus
            > feat
            > >> or the spellcaster level?
            > >>
            > >> Using PCGen 5.16.1
            > >>
            > >> Thanks in advance,
            > >> Deiter.

            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

            "I feel like I am being nibbled to death by. . .What are those Earth
            creatures? Wings, webbed feet, bill, goes quack?"

            ". . .Cats!"

            "Cats. I feel like I am being nibbled to death by cats."
            *Londo Molari and Vir Cotto. Babylon 5*

          • Deiter Irons
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
              Andrew,

              I followed your example to the letter but something is wrong. My test
              character is an 8th level Sorcerer with 4 levels in the prestige class. The
              prestige class grants the Bonus feat or caster level at levels 1, 4, 7 and
              10.

              The first time I chose the bonus caster level, the Sorcerer caster level
              went up to 9th level (expected).

              The second time I chose the bonus caster level, the caster level went up to
              12th level (not expected). I was expecting the caster level to increase to
              10 but it appears to have gone up to equal the character's ECL.

              Any thoughts?

              Thanks in advance.

              On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>wrote:

              > We need you to learn how to answer a few of these Kar :P
              >
              > To Deiter Iron,
              >
              > LST Editing 101 -
              >
              > Read the Docs, otherwise this won't make sense:
              >
              > # Ability File
              >
              > +1 Bonus Feat
              > KEY:Bonus Feat
              > CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
              > DESC:You get a Bonus Feat
              > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|1
              > MULT:YES
              > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
              > STACK:YES
              >

              > Add a Caster Level
              > KEY:Bonus Caster Level
              > CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
              > ADD:SPELLCASTER|ANY
              > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
              > STACK:YES
              > MULT:YES
              >
              > # ABILITYCATEGORY File
              >
              > ABILITYCATEGORY:Feat or Caster
              > TYPE:ClassChoiceBonus
              > CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > EDITABLE:YES
              > EDITPOOL:YES
              > DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
              > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
              > PLURAL:Feats or Caster Levels
              >
              > # CLASS File
              >
              > CLASS:Your Class
              > 1 <tab> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Feat or Caster|1
              >

              > # Summary
              > I set up an ability category pool that will hold either the bonus feat or
              > the add a spellcaster
              > deal, you choose one or the other. Obviously, you'll want to rename the
              > class to the one you are using.
              >
              > If you have any questions do follow up.
              >
              > Cheers,

              *Londo Mollari*: But this - this, this, this is like - being nibbled to
              death by, uh - Pah! What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long
              bill, webbed feet, go "quack".
              *Vir Cotto*: Cats.
              *Londo Mollari*: Cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats.

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2011
                Bump :)

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2011

                  No, it's not ECL, it's an annoying bug or bad behavior. Unfortunately, ADD isn't like BONUS.
                  You took it once +1, then you took is a second time (It sees this as twice this time around) 1 +3
                  =4 (Since it's taken twice, it doubles 2+2)
                  8+1=9
                  8+4=12

                  So we'll need to adjust a few things:
                  Remove ADD:SPELLCASTER and change 'CHOOSE:NOCHOICE' to 'CHOOSE:SPELLCLASSES'

                  Then add:

                  BONUS:PCLEVEL|%LIST|1

                  If your issue persists with that method, then alter the BONUS to:
                  BONUS:PCLEVEL|%LIST|1|TYPE=NoStack

                  Hopefully that will square you away.

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2011
                    Just finished testing the adjustments. At first blush it appears to be
                    working with the "BONUS:PCLEVEL|%LIST|1".

                    I'll be able to do some more testing later.

                    Thanks for the help.