Two choosers, one feat

  • Ainvar G
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      I have a feat that grants a bonus to a pair of skills, chosen by the character.
      One must be a knowledge skill, the other a perform skill.

      In my wild stabs at this, I tried two choosers in a single feat description, but
      that ignored one of the choosers. So I thought a couple of internal feats, one
      for each chooser, might be appropriate, but I'm not sure how to have my new feat
      call the two skill chooser feats. I made the choosers abilities instead so I
      could include them in the feat, but neither chooser fired when I selected the
      feat (I didn't think it would, based on what I could find in the docs).

      How should this be done?

      Thanks,
      AinvarG

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011

        Well, let's see:

        On 1/1/2011 3:25 PM, Ainvar G wrote:
        > I have a feat that grants a bonus to a pair of skills, chosen by the character.
        > One must be a knowledge skill, the other a perform skill.

        Sounds fun :)

        > In my wild stabs at this, I tried two choosers in a single feat description, but
        > that ignored one of the choosers.

        Yup, that feature won't be here till 6.2 IIRC.

        > So I thought a couple of internal feats, one
        > for each chooser, might be appropriate, but I'm not sure how to have my new feat
        > call the two skill chooser feats.

        Yeah, won't work. Manually added only.

        > I made the choosers abilities instead so I
        > could include them in the feat, but neither chooser fired when I selected the
        > feat (I didn't think it would, based on what I could find in the docs).

        Exactly, no fire if not ADD or Manually selected.

        > How should this be done?

        Well, here's how I'd do it. YMMV though.

        -Ability Category File-
        ABILITYCATEGORY:My Cool Choice

        <Depending on your preference>
        TYPE:CoolChoice
        <OR>
        ABILITYLIST:Ability 1 ~ Choose One Type|Ability 2 ~ Choose One Type

        <Continue as normal>
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        PLURAL:My Cool Choices
        EDITABLE:YES
        EDITPOOL:YES
        VISIBLE:QUALIFY
        DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats

        -Feat File-
        Your Feat
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|My Cool Choice|2
        <Add rest as per normal>

        -Ability File-
        Ability 1 ~ Choose One Type
        TYPE:CoolChoice
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|TYPE=Perform
        MULT:YES
        STACK:NO
        BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|x

        Ability 2 ~ Choose One Type
        TYPE:CoolChoice
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|TYPE=Knowledge
        MULT:YES
        STACK:NO
        BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|x

        Obviously change the names of everything to fit your feat and names, but that's a generic example of
        how I'd accomplish the goal. I didn't get all fancy with KEYs and naming schemes :P

        Cheers,

        > Thanks,
        > AinvarG

      • Ainvar G
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          OK, I'm still really weak with the abilitycategory / ability files. I did
          modify your suggestion so selecting the feat grants a pair of abilities - one
          for the knowledge skill, one for the perform skill. It's not quite working yet.

          Here's what I'm seeing now. The feat shows up as available (at least I have
          that much figured out). When I select it, the two abilities show up in the
          feats list. When I select either of them, however, I don't have the option to
          select anything. Here's what I have so far - what do I have wrong? Thanks.

          # AbilityCategory File
          ABILITYCATEGORY:Knowledge Bonus
          VISIBLE:QUALIFY
          EDITABLE:YES
          EDITPOOL:YES
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          ABILITYLIST:Trained Knowledge
          DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats

          ABILITYCATEGORY:Perform Bonus
          VISIBLE:QUALIFY
          EDITABLE:YES
          EDITPOOL:YES
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          ABILITYLIST:Trained Perform
          DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats

          # Ability File
          Trained Knowledge
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:SpecialQuality
          VISIBLE:NO
          STACK:NO
          MULT:YES
          CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge%|TITLE=Select Knowledge skill
          BONUS:SKILL|%CHOICE|2

          Trained Perform
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:SpecialQuality
          VISIBLE:NO
          STACK:NO
          MULT:YES
          CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Perform%|TITLE=Select Perform skill
          BONUS:SKILL|%CHOICE|2

          # Feat
          Trained
          TYPE:General
          PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Bardic Performance
          DESC:You receive a bonus to a Knowledge skill and to a Perform skill.
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Knowledge Bonus|1
          BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Perform Bonus|1

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011

            I'm a little baffled reading this over. I'm looking at the Example I gave, and what you wrote, and
            I'm shaking my head wondering why.

            [Item 2] Let me correct your terminology here. Two ABILITYPOOLs, not ABILITIES. ABILITYPOOLs are
            where you have your feats and abilities. Abilities are the actual objects added.

            ABILITYPOOL = ABILITYCATEGORY / Child

            The fastest way to confuse a monkey is to say the abilities are showing but having no options. That
            made me think you messed up the CHOOSE tag, not the fact you hid the ability.

            Questions:

            * Why are you making the Abilities VISIBLE:NO?
            o CLUE #1 PCGen is doing exactly what you told it to do. Asking why you can't see the
            hidden ability seems ironic doesn't it?
            * Why are you appending an invalid syntax on the Chooser?
            * Why are you telling PCGen to display the ability on the OS but then hide that ability, thereby
            wasting processing power to do a null action basically?

            Did you look at my example? I'm serious, look at it again - nowhere in my example did I place
            'VISIBLE:NO'. PCGen defaults to 'VISIBLE:YES'. Do you think if it was relevant to hide the ability I
            would have placed the VISIBLE:NO in my example?

            So, first question you need to answer yourself is - Why is the VISIBLE set to NO?

            Next issue - Why is there a "|TITLE=Blah" appended to the Choose?
            It won't choke the chooser, instead you can choose a nice brand new skill called "TITLE=Select
            Knowledge skill" or "TITLE=Select Perform skill"

            TYPE=Knowledge would be a safer usage. But you can use either.

            'BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|2' not 'BONUS:SKILL|%CHOICE|2' unless you really think that the Knowledge skills
            is going to convert into a number. Existing usage dictates %LIST is the preferred method for adding
            a NAME as opposed to a NUMBER. CHOICE may work, but looking through all the existing data sets the
            precedent is set - LIST = Words, CHOICE = Numbers.

            Here is the write up in the docs:

            *Choice:* |%CHOICE|

            *What it does:*

            The %CHOICE will put the input from a CHOOSE tag into its place.

            *Where it is used:*

            * In conjunction with the CHOOSE tag.
            * May be used within math computations.

            vs

            *List:* |%LIST|

            *What it does:*

            The %LIST will put the input from a CHOOSE tag into its place.

            *Where it is used:*

            * In conjunction with the CHOOSE tag.
            * May not be used within math computations.

            Next, why are you giving the Ability a TYPE if you're granting it via ABILITYLIST?

            SpecialQuality
            SpecialAttack
            Will make it show up on the OS. Omit those and it won't show up in those sections.

            Remove the VISIBLE:NO tags, and 80% of your problem will be solved.

            On 1/1/2011 7:24 PM, Ainvar G wrote:
            > OK, I'm still really weak with the abilitycategory / ability files. I did
            > modify your suggestion so selecting the feat grants a pair of abilities - one
            > for the knowledge skill, one for the perform skill. It's not quite working yet.
            > Here's what I'm seeing now. The feat shows up as available (at least I have
            > that much figured out). When I select it, the two abilities show up in the
            > feats list.

            #see item 2

            > When I select either of them, however, I don't have the option to
            > select anything. Here's what I have so far - what do I have wrong? Thanks.

            > # AbilityCategory File
            > ABILITYCATEGORY:Knowledge Bonus
            > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
            > EDITABLE:YES
            > EDITPOOL:YES
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > ABILITYLIST:Trained Knowledge
            > DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats
            >
            > ABILITYCATEGORY:Perform Bonus
            > VISIBLE:QUALIFY
            > EDITABLE:YES
            > EDITPOOL:YES
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > ABILITYLIST:Trained Perform
            > DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats
            >
            > # Ability File
            > Trained Knowledge
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > TYPE:SpecialQuality
            > VISIBLE:NO
            > STACK:NO
            > MULT:YES
            > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Knowledge%|TITLE=Select Knowledge skill
            > BONUS:SKILL|%CHOICE|2

            > Trained Perform
            > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > TYPE:SpecialQuality
            > VISIBLE:NO
            > STACK:NO
            > MULT:YES
            > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|Perform%|TITLE=Select Perform skill
            > BONUS:SKILL|%CHOICE|2
            >

            > # Feat
            > Trained
            > TYPE:General
            > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Bardic Performance
            > DESC:You receive a bonus to a Knowledge skill and to a Perform skill.
            > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Knowledge Bonus|1
            > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Perform Bonus|1

            That looks fine.

            Cheers,