Re: BUG cannot .MOD an already .MOD'd feat?

  • thpr
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 17, 2010
      OK, So here is how the system is currently processing Rank (I had to go figure this out myself):

      If there are two campaigns loaded in parallel (meaning you have two entries on the right side of the load screen, and they ARE NOT referring to each other directly in the PCC files), then lower ranks are loaded first.

      However, any time a PCC file refers to another PCC file, the parent APPENDS the child's files to its lists - meaning the subsumed PCC will ALWAYS take on an effectively HIGHER rank than the parent. The lists are then loaded in order.

      Therefore, it may be appropriate to use PRECAMPAIGN to force the SRD to be loaded, rather than having one PCC file that subsumes the SRD...

      So RANK effectively works like FORWARDREF... it is NOT acquired by a parent PCC file... it has to reappear there.

      I'm open to whether that's the behavior we want, but that is the cause of the issue being seen.

      TP.

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, understood. :-)
      >
      > Still confused over how ranks are overridden when including pcc's though...

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
        Greetings,
        Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)

        PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
        I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.

        I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
        *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!

        As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)

        Cheers
        Dave
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

        > OK, So here is how the system is currently processing Rank (I had to go figure this out myself):
        >
        > If there are two campaigns loaded in parallel (meaning you have two entries on the right side of the load screen, and they ARE NOT referring to each other directly in the PCC files), then lower ranks are loaded first.
        >
        > However, any time a PCC file refers to another PCC file, the parent APPENDS the child's files to its lists - meaning the subsumed PCC will ALWAYS take on an effectively HIGHER rank than the parent. The lists are then loaded in order.
        >
        > Therefore, it may be appropriate to use PRECAMPAIGN to force the SRD to be loaded, rather than having one PCC file that subsumes the SRD...
        >
        > So RANK effectively works like FORWARDREF... it is NOT acquired by a parent PCC file... it has to reappear there.
        >
        > I'm open to whether that's the behavior we want, but that is the cause of the issue being seen.
        >
        > TP.
        >

        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks, understood. :-)
        > >
        > > Still confused over how ranks are overridden when including pcc's though...

      • thpr
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
          File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.

          For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded in the order they appear in the PCC file.

          Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance (after the local files).

          Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.

          TP.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)
          >
          > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
          > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.
          >
          > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
          > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!
          >
          > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
          >
          > Cheers
          > Dave
        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
            Greatings,
            Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated.
            Would/could that be added to the documentation?

            Cheers
            Dave

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

            > File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.
            >
            > For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded in the order they appear in the PCC file.
            >
            > Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance (after the local files).
            >
            > Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.
            >
            > TP.
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)
            > >
            > > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
            > > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.
            > >
            > > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
            > > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!
            > >
            > > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > > Dave

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 7, 2011
              Hi there,

              Can you please raise a JIRA for this in our DOCS project.

              Thanks!

              On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM, FerretDave
              <ferret.griffin@...>wrote:

              > Greatings,
              > Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated.
              > Would/could that be added to the documentation?
              >

              > Cheers
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com<PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the
              > Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.
              > >
              > > For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded
              > in the order they appear in the PCC file.
              > >
              > > Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance
              > (after the local files).
              > >
              > > Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC
              > files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will
              > be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.
              > >
              > > TP.
              > >
              > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com<PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Greetings,
              > > > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work
              > it out :-)
              > > >
              > > > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for
              > now I can work it that way.
              > > > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when
              > distributing my homebrew.
              > > >
              > > > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC
              > loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer
              > override method in future?
              > > > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST'
              > the rest of the definition?!
              > > >
              > > > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC
              > made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the
              > .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to
              > what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon
              > profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
              > > >
              > > > Cheers
              > > > Dave

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 7, 2011
                Done, as DOCS-58 and CODE-484 (for the option to include a PCC before LST files)