RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: BUG cannot .MOD an already .MOD'd feat?

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 14, 2010
      You can .MOD an already .MODed item, but your mod has to be in a dataset with a higher RANK tag than the one you are trying to override. It’s the only way the program has to determine which one is THE mod.

      At least that's the way it used to work.

      Barak

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 14, 2010

        I thought it was also Source date if that option is set in preferences.

        On 12/14/2010 7:04 AM, Barak wrote:
        > You can .MOD an already .MODed item, but your mod has to be in a dataset with a higher RANK tag than the one you are trying to override. It’s the only way the program has to determine which one is THE mod.
        >
        > At least that's the way it used to work.
        >
        > Barak

        >>> GAMEMODE:3e
        >>> RANK:3

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 14, 2010
          > I thought it was also Source date if that option is set in preferences.

          Ah, my age in the project is showing... that thar new-fangled source date wasn't around when I started here sonny boy! :)

          Kidding aside, I do believe you are correct. I'll have to do some testing so we can document what overrides what and when.

          Do we have test monkeys we could toss this sorta stuff to?

          Added to the ever-expanding to-do list.

          Barak
          ~ Content SB
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 14, 2010
            We might... Open a tracker and I'll see if any of the new monkeys want to flex their testing
            muscles. [Should be a list of the new monkeys on the Wiki]

            On 12/14/2010 9:05 AM, Barak wrote:
> [...]

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
              Greetings,

              OK... that makes sense, but doesnt match what I get.

              The SRD.PCC is rank 1, my homebrew is rank 9 so I *do* outrank it? however my .pcc includes the srd.pcc, so my homebrew is the only source I need to load...

              ie:

              CAMPAIGN:DnD_DG_SRD3e
              GAMEMODE:3e
              RANK:9
              TYPE:DaveGriffin.Campaign Setting.Custom
              SOURCELONG:DaveGriffin_DnD3e
              SOURCESHORT:DnD_DG
              PCC:@/d20ogl/srd/srd.pcc
              FEAT:DnD_DG_SRD_feats_mods.lst

              How does that work for ranking? as that seems to match what you're suggesting, but its not using my mods (loaded in the DnD_DG_SRD_feats_mods.lst, after the srd.pcc is loaded), or because I'm including the pcc directly, is that overriding the ranking?

              ... I have to have my homebrew mods load *after* the srd, otherwise there's nothing their to mod anyway, so they should have to be higher rank regardless...

              Unfortunately, the srd.pcc (and rsrd.pcc) dont have a SOURCEDATE set in them anyway, however and I've just tried that and it didnt work - adding:

              to srd.pcc:
              SOURCEDATE:2000-01

              and my homebrew.pcc:
              SOURCEDATE:2010-11

              And I still get the srd original (.MOD DESC).

              I'd rather not have to load two separate sources - as that confuses my players when I share my homebrew with them, but could that be the only other solution, other than a code fix?

              Cheers

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                For some reason, when the feats were coded up the descriptions were dealt with separately.

                I'll make a suggestion that the descriptions just be placed in the feats, as this separation makes
                no sense in present day. Nothing needs this method.

                To make your fixes, take all those descriptions and put them with the correct feat. Remove the whole
                'DESC:.CLEAR' and 'DESC:See Text' nonsense. That will fix your issue with the homebrew Mods not working.

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                  ... and I am using the 'allow newer sources to override' option.

                  Just tried loading the sources separately - selecting the srd from the source list in addition to my homebrew, instead of having my homebrew include it, and that all works ok.

                  So, I guess this is down to how ranks or sourcedates are calculating *within* a pcc that includes other pcc's, and they dont seem to do so in a way I can control.

                  Cheers
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                    Greetings,
                    That will certainly do the job for now, thanks.
                    Updating the master lst file for SRD will save having to repeat this again in future too, thanks again.

                    Cheers

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010

                      No problem... I'll see about fixing it on our end... Just need to clear it with the big monkey.

                      On 12/15/2010 2:21 PM, FerretDave wrote:
                      > Greetings,
                      > That will certainly do the job for now, thanks.
                      > Updating the master lst file for SRD will save having to repeat this again in future too, thanks again.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
                      >> For some reason, when the feats were coded up the descriptions were dealt with separately.
                      >>
                      >> I'll make a suggestion that the descriptions just be placed in the feats, as this separation makes
                      >> no sense in present day. Nothing needs this method.
                      >>
                      >> To make your fixes, take all those descriptions and put them with the correct feat. Remove the whole
                      >> 'DESC:.CLEAR' and 'DESC:See Text' nonsense. That will fix your issue with the homebrew Mods not working.

                    • thpr
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                        Please make sure this gets a code bug opened against it.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                          Trackered -
                          http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-443

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                            > No problem... I'll see about fixing it on our end... Just need to clear
                            > it with the big monkey.

                            Consider it cleared.

                            I've hated that setup since the day it was implemented. :/

                            Barak
                            ~ Content SB
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 15, 2010
                              > The SRD.PCC is rank 1, my homebrew is rank 9 so I *do* outrank it?
                              > however my .pcc includes the srd.pcc, so my homebrew is the only source
                              > I need to load...

                              No, you don't outrank it. (9 doesn't outrank anything). The lower the
                              number, the higher the rank. Just think, what do you call the leading team
                              in your favorite sport? #1. :p

                              Barak
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 16, 2010
                                I'll get it after some sleep or not if this constant calls after midnight streak
                                persists.

                                --
                                Andrew

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 16, 2010
                                  Thanks, understood. :-)

                                  Still confused over how ranks are overridden when including pcc's though...

                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                • thpr
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 17, 2010
                                    OK, So here is how the system is currently processing Rank (I had to go figure this out myself):

                                    If there are two campaigns loaded in parallel (meaning you have two entries on the right side of the load screen, and they ARE NOT referring to each other directly in the PCC files), then lower ranks are loaded first.

                                    However, any time a PCC file refers to another PCC file, the parent APPENDS the child's files to its lists - meaning the subsumed PCC will ALWAYS take on an effectively HIGHER rank than the parent. The lists are then loaded in order.

                                    Therefore, it may be appropriate to use PRECAMPAIGN to force the SRD to be loaded, rather than having one PCC file that subsumes the SRD...

                                    So RANK effectively works like FORWARDREF... it is NOT acquired by a parent PCC file... it has to reappear there.

                                    I'm open to whether that's the behavior we want, but that is the cause of the issue being seen.

                                    TP.

                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks, understood. :-)
                                    >
                                    > Still confused over how ranks are overridden when including pcc's though...

                                  • FerretDave
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
                                      Greetings,
                                      Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)

                                      PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
                                      I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.

                                      I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
                                      *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!

                                      As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)

                                      Cheers
                                      Dave
                                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                      > OK, So here is how the system is currently processing Rank (I had to go figure this out myself):
                                      >
                                      > If there are two campaigns loaded in parallel (meaning you have two entries on the right side of the load screen, and they ARE NOT referring to each other directly in the PCC files), then lower ranks are loaded first.
                                      >
                                      > However, any time a PCC file refers to another PCC file, the parent APPENDS the child's files to its lists - meaning the subsumed PCC will ALWAYS take on an effectively HIGHER rank than the parent. The lists are then loaded in order.
                                      >
                                      > Therefore, it may be appropriate to use PRECAMPAIGN to force the SRD to be loaded, rather than having one PCC file that subsumes the SRD...
                                      >
                                      > So RANK effectively works like FORWARDREF... it is NOT acquired by a parent PCC file... it has to reappear there.
                                      >
                                      > I'm open to whether that's the behavior we want, but that is the cause of the issue being seen.
                                      >
                                      > TP.
                                      >

                                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks, understood. :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > Still confused over how ranks are overridden when including pcc's though...

                                    • thpr
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
                                        File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.

                                        For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded in the order they appear in the PCC file.

                                        Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance (after the local files).

                                        Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.

                                        TP.

                                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                                        > Greetings,
                                        > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)
                                        >
                                        > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
                                        > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.
                                        >
                                        > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
                                        > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!
                                        >
                                        > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
                                        >
                                        > Cheers
                                        > Dave
                                      • FerretDave
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 18, 2010
                                          Greatings,
                                          Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated.
                                          Would/could that be added to the documentation?

                                          Cheers
                                          Dave

                                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                          > File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.
                                          >
                                          > For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded in the order they appear in the PCC file.
                                          >
                                          > Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance (after the local files).
                                          >
                                          > Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.
                                          >
                                          > TP.
                                          >
                                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Greetings,
                                          > > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work it out :-)
                                          > >
                                          > > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for now I can work it that way.
                                          > > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when distributing my homebrew.
                                          > >
                                          > > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer override method in future?
                                          > > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST' the rest of the definition?!
                                          > >
                                          > > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
                                          > >
                                          > > Cheers
                                          > > Dave

                                        • Martijn Verburg
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 7, 2011
                                            Hi there,

                                            Can you please raise a JIRA for this in our DOCS project.

                                            Thanks!

                                            On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM, FerretDave
                                            <ferret.griffin@...>wrote:

                                            > Greatings,
                                            > Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated.
                                            > Would/could that be added to the documentation?
                                            >

                                            > Cheers
                                            > Dave
                                            >
                                            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com<PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                            > "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > File order (such as the Ability Category file has to be loaded before the
                                            > Ability file) is enforced by the loading system, no effort on your part.
                                            > >
                                            > > For individual classes of files (e.g. Deity files), they will be loaded
                                            > in the order they appear in the PCC file.
                                            > >
                                            > > Subsequent PCC files will then be loaded in order of their appearance
                                            > (after the local files).
                                            > >
                                            > > Note that the PCC file search is depth first, so if you include 2 PCC
                                            > files (A & B) , both of which include another sub PCC (AA and BA), it will
                                            > be A, AA, B, BA as the order in which items are added.
                                            > >
                                            > > TP.
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com<PCGenListFileHelp%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                            > "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Greetings,
                                            > > > Ok, thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for taking the time to work
                                            > it out :-)
                                            > > >
                                            > > > PRECAMPAIGN does sound like the right approach to resolve this, and for
                                            > now I can work it that way.
                                            > > > I was just hoping to keep things simple for my players when
                                            > distributing my homebrew.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I would put this forward as a FREQ therefore, that including a PCC
                                            > loads that PCC *before* any locally defined .lst files, to give a clearer
                                            > override method in future?
                                            > > > *OR*, an option to specify a sub-PCC should be loaded 'PRE' or 'POST'
                                            > the rest of the definition?!
                                            > > >
                                            > > > As I had been working along the lines of the order of files in the PCC
                                            > made some difference (and was including sub-PCC's first, then including the
                                            > .MODs for them), does it make any difference to any loading process as to
                                            > what order any files are defined in a PCC? (Diety files can define weapon
                                            > profs, so do I need to have loaded the profs file first for example?)
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Cheers
                                            > > > Dave

                                          • FerretDave
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 7, 2011
                                              Done, as DOCS-58 and CODE-484 (for the option to include a PCC before LST files)