Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] [PF]Adding Default Special Abilities

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
      Hi J W aka Bigdady,

      That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
      populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that
      are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
      functionality went to the wayside.

      Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
      doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
      that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.

      We could bring it back I suppose.

      If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them
      to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
      Abilitycategory.

      ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:*
      [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
      use it carefully]
      Or
      TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
      [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
      creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
      and is most likely want you are really looking for]
      DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
      [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
      the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
      though]
      EDITABLE:YES
      EDITPOOL:YES

      You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
      will give you want you need.

      Andrew

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
        :D been ages upon ages being on here...

        Here's my line i added to bestiary_abilityscategories.lst:

        ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilities VISIBLE:QUALIFY EDITABLE:YES EDITPOOL:YES FRACTIONALPOOL:NO CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:* PLURAL:Special Ability Stuff DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

        I think the visible tag is preventing anything from being displayed on the screen. Is there a way to just say YES and bypass qualifying ?

        > Hi J W aka Bigdady,
        >
        > That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
        > populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that
        > are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
        > functionality went to the wayside.
        >
        > Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
        > doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
        > that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.
        >
        > We could bring it back I suppose.
        >
        > If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them
        > to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
        > Abilitycategory.
        >

        > ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
        > CATEGORY:Special Ability
        > TYPE:*
        > [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
        > use it carefully]
        > Or
        > TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
        > [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
        > creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
        > and is most likely want you are really looking for]
        > DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
        > [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
        > the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
        > though]
        > EDITABLE:YES
        > EDITPOOL:YES
        >
        > You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
        > will give you want you need.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > --
        > Andrew
        >

        > ________________________________

      • J W
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
          Got it to work. Was my version of java that was not cooperating:
          ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
          VISIBLE:YES
          EDITPOOL:YES
          EDITABLE:YES
          FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

          Works like a Champ!

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
            I wouldn't even include the VISIBLE tag, it's not needed. Default is Yes. You
            may have noticed in my example I didn't even use it.

            :)

            --
            Andrew

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
              Glad to help. :)

              --
              Andrew

              ________________________________
              Got it to work. Was my version of java that was not cooperating:
              ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
              VISIBLE:YES
              EDITPOOL:YES
              EDITABLE:YES
              FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
              CATEGORY:Special Ability
              TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
              DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

              Works like a Champ!

              > Hi J W aka Bigdady,
              >
              > That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
              > populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that

              > are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
              > functionality went to the wayside.
              >
              > Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
              >
              > doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
              > that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.
              >
              > We could bring it back I suppose.
              >
              > If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them

              > to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
              > Abilitycategory.
              >

              > ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
              > CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > TYPE:*
              > [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
              > use it carefully]
              > Or
              > TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
              > [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
              > creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
              >
              > and is most likely want you are really looking for]
              > DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
              > [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
              >
              > the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
              > though]
              > EDITABLE:YES
              > EDITPOOL:YES
              >
              > You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
              >
              > will give you want you need.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > --
              > Andrew
              >

              > ________________________________

            • J W
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
                I saw the one you created didn't use it but ran into a problem with my version of java not behaving nicely and thought it was due to the VISIBLE tag instead of java itself.

                Upgraded java, that fixed it. I did notice a few problems though on abilities stating range.

                I.E. Frightful presence had range of 0 feet when I added the material in that way. Normally it's 30/60 but this displayed a range of 0.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010

                  On 10/5/2010 12:51 PM, J W wrote:
                  > I saw the one you created didn't use it but ran into a problem with my version of java not behaving nicely and thought it was due to the VISIBLE tag instead of java itself.
                  >
                  > Upgraded java, that fixed it. I did notice a few problems though on abilities stating range.

                  Actually, it only appears to be a problem. The abilities all *work* as written, it's just you're
                  bypassing the normal process of getting them. Add a creature with Frightful Presence and I betcha
                  it'll have the correct range.
                  > I.E. Frightful presence had range of 0 feet when I added the material in that way. Normally it's 30/60 but this displayed a range of 0.

                  That's expected. Different creatures, feats or things can alter those ranges. That's what called a
                  variable. The Variable is defined in the ability, but the actual numerical value is set by the
                  creature itself. In order to fix that, you'll need to find the actual ability, find the variable
                  name in question and then in a template or feat, set the range using 'BONUS:VAR|<VarName>|x' with x
                  being the value you want.

                  It's probably 'FrightPresenceRange', but who ever set it up could have used any name they wanted.

                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
                  >> I wouldn't even include the VISIBLE tag, it's not needed. Default is Yes. You
                  >> may have noticed in my example I didn't even use it.
                  >>
                  >> :)
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Andrew

                  >>> EDITABLE:YES
                  >>> EDITPOOL:YES
                  >>>
                  >>> You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
                  >>>
                  >>> will give you want you need.
                  >>>
                  >>> Cheers,
                  >>>
                  >>> --
                  >>> Andrew