[PF]Adding Default Special Abilities

  • J W
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
      As a test I was attempting to add Special abilities to a monster/npc I created. These are common ones found in the monster section such as Frightful Presence, Fear Aura, and Damage Reduction Magic.

      Sadly I could not get PCGEN to spit out a list of special abilities when I click on the "Languages/Special Abilities/Weapon Prof" button. I was expecting a nice list of common monster abilities and then add DCs appropriate for them.

      Is this something that PCGEN should be able to do automatically or am I missing the way to add common monster abilities to NPCs easily? I posted in the main PCGEN group for this and was told to add them by hand but that doesn't seem logical as the abilities are all stored already and just need to be able to be displayed. Perhaps I'm missing something.

      Thoughts?
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
        Hi J W aka Bigdady,

        That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
        populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that
        are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
        functionality went to the wayside.

        Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
        doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
        that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.

        We could bring it back I suppose.

        If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them
        to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
        Abilitycategory.

        ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:*
        [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
        use it carefully]
        Or
        TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
        [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
        creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
        and is most likely want you are really looking for]
        DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
        [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
        the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
        though]
        EDITABLE:YES
        EDITPOOL:YES

        You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
        will give you want you need.

        Andrew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
          :D been ages upon ages being on here...

          Here's my line i added to bestiary_abilityscategories.lst:

          ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilities VISIBLE:QUALIFY EDITABLE:YES EDITPOOL:YES FRACTIONALPOOL:NO CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:* PLURAL:Special Ability Stuff DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

          I think the visible tag is preventing anything from being displayed on the screen. Is there a way to just say YES and bypass qualifying ?

          > Hi J W aka Bigdady,
          >
          > That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
          > populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that
          > are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
          > functionality went to the wayside.
          >
          > Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
          > doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
          > that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.
          >
          > We could bring it back I suppose.
          >
          > If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them
          > to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
          > Abilitycategory.
          >

          > ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
          > CATEGORY:Special Ability
          > TYPE:*
          > [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
          > use it carefully]
          > Or
          > TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
          > [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
          > creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
          > and is most likely want you are really looking for]
          > DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
          > [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
          > the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
          > though]
          > EDITABLE:YES
          > EDITPOOL:YES
          >
          > You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
          > will give you want you need.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > --
          > Andrew
          >

          > ________________________________

        • J W
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
            Got it to work. Was my version of java that was not cooperating:
            ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
            VISIBLE:YES
            EDITPOOL:YES
            EDITABLE:YES
            FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

            Works like a Champ!

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
              I wouldn't even include the VISIBLE tag, it's not needed. Default is Yes. You
              may have noticed in my example I didn't even use it.

              :)

              --
              Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
                Glad to help. :)

                --
                Andrew

                ________________________________
                Got it to work. Was my version of java that was not cooperating:
                ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
                VISIBLE:YES
                EDITPOOL:YES
                EDITABLE:YES
                FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
                CATEGORY:Special Ability
                TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
                DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization

                Works like a Champ!

                > Hi J W aka Bigdady,
                >
                > That function is no longer used at this time. The Special Abilities list was
                > populated by the SA and recently SAB tags. Since we've moved to Abilities that

                > are like Feats in appearance, Title, Description, Sourcepage etc., that old
                > functionality went to the wayside.
                >
                > Here's the thought process - Creatures have their "Set Abilities", advancing HD
                >
                > doesn't grant more abilities or anything since those are abilities from being
                > that race. PCGen had that functionality, though I don't know why.
                >
                > We could bring it back I suppose.
                >
                > If you really want to have the ability to cherry pick abiliites and grant them

                > to any character, the method I would recommend would be to create your own
                > Abilitycategory.
                >

                > ABILITYCATEGORY:My Abilites
                > CATEGORY:Special Ability
                > TYPE:*
                > [* will pull every single ability, even ones that you shouldn't be adding, so
                > use it carefully]
                > Or
                > TYPE:SpecialQuality.SpecialAttack
                > [That will grant the normal list of Abilities that are common to all the
                > creatures, any "usable" ability that a creature employs will populate the list,
                >
                > and is most likely want you are really looking for]
                > DISPLAYLOCATION:User Customization
                > [This makes it clear that this is only for the Customization, and isn't part of
                >
                > the normal Character Advancement Process, You can name it whatever you'd like
                > though]
                > EDITABLE:YES
                > EDITPOOL:YES
                >
                > You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
                >
                > will give you want you need.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > --
                > Andrew
                >

                > ________________________________

              • J W
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
                  I saw the one you created didn't use it but ran into a problem with my version of java not behaving nicely and thought it was due to the VISIBLE tag instead of java itself.

                  Upgraded java, that fixed it. I did notice a few problems though on abilities stating range.

                  I.E. Frightful presence had range of 0 feet when I added the material in that way. Normally it's 30/60 but this displayed a range of 0.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Hi,

                    On 10/5/2010 12:51 PM, J W wrote:
                    > I saw the one you created didn't use it but ran into a problem with my version of java not behaving nicely and thought it was due to the VISIBLE tag instead of java itself.
                    >
                    > Upgraded java, that fixed it. I did notice a few problems though on abilities stating range.

                    Actually, it only appears to be a problem. The abilities all *work* as written, it's just you're
                    bypassing the normal process of getting them. Add a creature with Frightful Presence and I betcha
                    it'll have the correct range.
                    > I.E. Frightful presence had range of 0 feet when I added the material in that way. Normally it's 30/60 but this displayed a range of 0.

                    That's expected. Different creatures, feats or things can alter those ranges. That's what called a
                    variable. The Variable is defined in the ability, but the actual numerical value is set by the
                    creature itself. In order to fix that, you'll need to find the actual ability, find the variable
                    name in question and then in a template or feat, set the range using 'BONUS:VAR|<VarName>|x' with x
                    being the value you want.

                    It's probably 'FrightPresenceRange', but who ever set it up could have used any name they wanted.

                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
                    >> I wouldn't even include the VISIBLE tag, it's not needed. Default is Yes. You
                    >> may have noticed in my example I didn't even use it.
                    >>
                    >> :)
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Andrew

                    >>> EDITABLE:YES
                    >>> EDITPOOL:YES
                    >>>
                    >>> You'll need to put points in your pool when you want to add abilities, but that
                    >>>
                    >>> will give you want you need.
                    >>>
                    >>> Cheers,
                    >>>
                    >>> --
                    >>> Andrew