Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Creating a weapon

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
      Okay, but that's *not* the correct method to accomplish your desire.

      Directly editing the core files is HIGHLY recommended *against*. You risk losing any changes with
      any updates.

      Now, as to your statement -"/""// I want to create a katana weapon. I am aware that it is a
      bastard sword, and tried a to create one modifying the bastard sword, but 5.17.3 will not allow me
      to equip it one handed."// /In answer to that statement - 5.17.3 is only enforcing the rules,
      changing the weapon isn't following the established rules. If you want to have a One-handed Katana
      and *not* follow the rules, then make a completely new weapon.

      Let me explain - Katana and Bastard Sword are the same stat-wise and rules-wise, you pointed this
      out, but I want to make this clear. The _only_ difference is the "name". In order to use a Bastard
      Sword "one handed", you need to take the *Exotic Weapon Proficiency *and of course that is applied
      to the 'Bastard Sword', or 'Sword (Bastard)' depending how it displays. Otherwise, using a Bastard
      Sword is a "two handed" ordeal. That's the stated *rules* per the RSRD. 5.17, 5.16, 5.14 will ALL
      allow you to use the Bastard Sword "one handed" if you simply take the correct feat, as per those rules.

      Now, if you are copying the Katana with the LST editor, it stands to reason you do the exact same
      thing. [Take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency Feat] The Proficiency is still Bastard Sword though.
      Since all you did was change the Name of the Weapon.

      Now, if you don't like the "Sword (Bastard)" name and really want it completely separate, then
      change the Proficiency needed from 'Sword (Bastard)' to 'Katana'; Then do the same thing to the
      BONUS tag inside the Katana. You'll need to add Katana to the Weapon Proficiency List. Be sure to
      make it TYPE:Exotic, otherwise you won't be able to take it as an Exotic Weapon.

      In which case, you might as well create the new weapon.

      [OR]

      You can go to the item customizer, and click the name button and call it 'Katana'. Done. Follows the
      rules.

      If you choose not to follow the rules, then what you did works as well [It's your game, I'm not
      going to tell you how to play or what rules you have to follow]. However, you better make sure your
      GM is cool with that change or your players [If you're the GM] understand that you are not requiring
      the Exotic Feat for the Katana/Bastard Sword.

      On 10/4/2010 3:29 PM, brhscorpsofcadets wrote:
      > I was able to accomplish this by changing the rsrd_equip_weap_melee.lst file from TwoHanded to OneHanded.
      >

      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "brhscorpsofcadets"<moordoom@...> wrote:
      >> I want to create a katana weapon. I am aware that it is a bastard sword, and tried a to create one modifying the bastard sword, but 5.17.3 will not allow me to equip it one handed.
      >> Is there a way to create a new weapon without creating a new dataset?

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin