Re: [pcgen] Overall spells known

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2010
      Hi Jack,

      This type of question is best over on the PCGen List File Help Group. [Go ahead and join that group
      to follow up]

      And since I'm one of the few that seems to be active on this holiday weekend (Noting lack of replies
      currently), I'll spare you of having to repeat the question, and x-post it to that group. PLEASE
      Follow Up on the correct group though.

      This seems to be a multi-tiered problem you're presenting.

      Part 1 - KNOWN SPELLS*
      Version 1 - You can use BONUS:VAR and have the 'KNOWN' be a Variable name
      Version 2 - You can use BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=1|1

      *I personally think Version 2 is a better method, but in my typing this up, and rereading it, I
      realized version 2 existed after I finished writing the complete deal for version 1. *Sigh*,
      anyways, you can freely choose the method you'd like.

      Part 2 - Spell Level DC - Fixed by the above stuff I detail.

      I'm going to call your class the "Monkey Magus". Why? Cause it makes this a bit easier.

      Okay, Monkey Magus seems to be a very flexible guy, so here is how we code him up to handle the
      first part:

      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> HD:4 <> TYPE:Base.PC <> BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL/2|TYPE=Base.REPLACE <>
      BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|CL+2/2 <> BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude,BASE.Reflex|CL/3
      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> STARTSKILLPTS:2 <> CSKILL:Bluff|Knowledge (Arcana)|Spellcraft|Use Rope
      CLASS:Monkey Magus <> SPELLSTAT:CHA <> MEMORIZE:NO <> SPELLBOOK:NO <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Monkey
      Magus|CL <> SPELLTYPE:Arcane

      *Version 1 - the really complicated method, but hey, this goes to show how convoluted you can go:*

      1:REPEATLEVEL:1 <>
      CAST:MagusCastLvlZero,MagusCastLvlOne,MagusCastLvlTwo,MagusCastLvlThree,MagusCastLvlFour,MagusCastLvlFive,MagusCastLvlSix,MagusCastLvlSeven,MagusCastLvlEight,MagusCastLvlNine
      <>
      KNOWN:MagusKnownLvlZero,MagusKnownLvlOne,MagusKnownLvlTwo,MagusKnownLvlThree,MagusKnownLvlFour,MagusKnownLvlFive,MagusKnownLvlSix,MagusKnownLvlSeven,MagusKnownLvlEight,MagusKnownLvlNine

      Of course you'll need to DEFINE all those to '0' - 'MagusKnownLvlZero' etc.

      I'm HOPING the guy gets a set number of Known to spread however s/he wants. So I'll set up this as well

      1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Monkey Magus Known Level Selection|MonkeyMagusKnownSpells <>
      DEFINE:MonkeyMagusKnownSpells|0
      and
      1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Monkey Magus Automatic

      Here is what the abilities will look like:

      Monkey Magus Automatic <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> DEFINE:MonkeyMagusMaxLVL|0

      BONUS:VAR|MagusCastLvlZero|99|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusCastLvlOne|99|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Monkey Magus Known Level 1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is)

      Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusKnownLvlZero|1
      Monkey Magus Known Level 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:VAR|MagusKnownLvlOne|1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is) and if the class is
      limited to certain levels of spells until x level, then use PREVARGTEQ:MonkeyMagucMaxLVL,x with 'x'
      being the Level they need to be, I use the var, cause you didn't specify whether it is set or not,
      if it's always the same then just use PRECLASS:1,Monkey Magus=x and you just place that on the
      'Monkey Magus Known Level x' abilities you just set up.

      *VERSION 2: A better method I think...*
      1:REPEATLEVEL:1 <> CAST:99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99 <> KNOWN:0
      1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Monkey Magus Known Level Selection|MonkeyMagusKnownSpells <>
      DEFINE:MonkeyMagusKnownSpells|0
      and
      1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Monkey Magus Automatic
      Now, at each level they get an increase you simply use

      Now, You'll need to actually set up the abilitycategory for the 'Monkey Magus Known Level Selection'
      and you'll want to use an easy to remember TYPE in that, I'd go 'MonkeyMagusLevelChoice'

      Monkey Magus Automatic <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> DEFINE:MonkeyMagusMaxLVL|0

      Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=0|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=1|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 2 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=2|1

      Monkey Magus Known Level 3 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=3|1

      Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is)

      And in case you really need help with the Abilitycategory part:

      ABILITYCATEGORY:Monkey Magus Known Level Selection <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
      CATEGORY:Special Ability <> EDITABLE:YES <> EDITPOOL:YES <> DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities <>
      PLURAL:Monkey Magus Known Level Choices

      Part 2 - Spells DC?

      Don't make the spells Level 0, or if you really, really, really think that is the best method, then
      you'll need to add an extra DESCRIPTOR tag to each spell and use the bonus tags to increase the DC.
      Personally, I recommend against it, as the method above gives you greater control. Plus, PREFEATs in
      the spells files can tend to slow performance down if attached to the CLASSES tag.

      If you use the above steps, you'll a) have the fine tune control you've been looking for, b) will
      have the correct spell DCs.

      Okay, that's the lengthy reply to your request. Please remember to follow up questions on the
      correct group.

      Cheers,

      On 9/6/2010 4:04 PM, Jack wrote:
      > I am trying to code a spellcaster class that can spontaneously cast spells at will, but is limited in the number of spells known.
      >
      > The spells in this class's spell list are classified into grades, which I have represented as hidden feats and controlled by the PREFEAT tag in the spell list file.
      >
      > The part that I am stuck on is that this class has an overall number of spells known that is not broken up by level.
      >
      > For example, a character at a certain level may know 4 spells, and these four may be any combination of level 0,1 or 2.
      >
      > How would I represent this in my list files? I tried making every spell level 0 and used the hidden feats to control which spells the character has access to at different character levels, but this leaves PCGen unable to calculate the correct save DC. I'd like to be able avoid this.
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Related Lists
      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2010
        Thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, most of it is over my head at my present level of ability.

        > I'm going to call your class the "Monkey Magus". Why? Cause it makes this a bit easier.

        What I'm trying to do is make a class that works like the Warlock class from the (3.5 edition) Complete Arcane sourcebook but in a Pathfinder campaign.

        So he has spells that are categorized in two ways: level and grade. Spells known are a single number that is independent of spell level and spell grade. It starts at 1 at first level and maxes out at 12 at 20th level.

        At certain points in the level progression he gains access to higher grades of spells from which he can choose. The reason I used PREFEATS to represent this is because there is only a loose relationship between spell level and grade. The first grade consists of 1st and 2nd level spells, but the second grade contains 2nd, 3th and 4th level spells. Because of this overlap the only way I could see to prevent the character from using certain 2nd level spells when he only had access to the first grade was to use a PREFEAT in the spell .lst file.
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2010
          Hi Jack,

          When it's over the head that's when I offer to walk ya through it online. If you have an IM account
          with yahoo or something, you can contact me. I'm at work so my availability varies but I don't mind
          taking the time to help people out between work assignments.

          drew0500 is my Yahoo ID.

          As to the whole Grade thing, That's easy. Instead of using the spell list as per wizard or such,
          instead make your spell be the Level of the corresponding "grade".

          Example: If Magic Missile is a Grade 2 spell, then you would do

          Magic Missile.MOD <> CLASSES:Monkey Magus=2

          That means that spell is level 2 for the Monkey Magus, but remember you're not using the levels as
          levels but as grades now.

          Anyways, I look forward to talking with you online.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2010
            > When it's over the head that's when I offer to walk ya through it online. If you have an IM account
            > with yahoo or something, you can contact me. I'm at work so my availability varies but I don't mind
            > taking the time to help people out between work assignments.
            >
            > drew0500 is my Yahoo ID.

            I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime.

            > As to the whole Grade thing, That's easy. Instead of using the spell list as per wizard or such,
            > instead make your spell be the Level of the corresponding "grade".
            >

            > Example: If Magic Missile is a Grade 2 spell, then you would do
            >
            > Magic Missile.MOD <> CLASSES:Monkey Magus=2

            That was my initial idea, but the DC of the spells is calculated from it's (real) spell level, not the grade. Having pcgen correctly calculate those is a feature I'd like to keep if possible.
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2010

              OKay, then when the grade comes available, what you need to do is use
              Monkey Magus Grade 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> SPELLLEVEL:CLASS|Monkey Magus=1|Spell
              Name,Spell Name2,Spell Name 3

              And have the Grades granted by the Class, or from an abilitypool. That keeps the spells at the
              "correct" level and only makes the spells available when the "grades" make them available.

              On 9/7/2010 9:19 AM, Jack wrote:
              >> When it's over the head that's when I offer to walk ya through it online. If you have an IM account
              >> with yahoo or something, you can contact me. I'm at work so my availability varies but I don't mind
              >> taking the time to help people out between work assignments.
              >>
              >> drew0500 is my Yahoo ID.
              >>
              > I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime.
              >
              >> As to the whole Grade thing, That's easy. Instead of using the spell list as per wizard or such,
              >> instead make your spell be the Level of the corresponding "grade".
              >>

              >> Example: If Magic Missile is a Grade 2 spell, then you would do
              >>
              >> Magic Missile.MOD<> CLASSES:Monkey Magus=2
              > That was my initial idea, but the DC of the spells is calculated from it's (real) spell level, not the grade. Having pcgen correctly calculate those is a feature I'd like to keep if possible.

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            • Jack Byer
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12, 2010
                I'm reading up on the different tags you described but still not
                having any luck so maybe if I simplify my example even further that
                will give me something to build from and hopefully the previous emails
                will make more sense.

                So this class is a variant of the Sorcerer class that can cast an
                unlimited number of spells per day. For the sake of simplicity it can
                cast spells of any level (0-9) starting at first level. The class
                chooses two spells at first level from any spell on the Sorcerer spell
                list regardless of spell level and an additional two spells each
                additional class level.

                Can all this be represented in the Class .lst file, or will I need to
                create a Special Abilities file as well?

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12, 2010
                  Have you coded anything up?

                  If you have, send it to me, and I'll see if it's set up so far how we've
                  discussed on the list here.

                  --
                  Andrew

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5 11:32 AM

                    > *VERSION 2: A better method I think...*
                    > 1:REPEATLEVEL:1 <> CAST:99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99 <> KNOWN:0
                    > 1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Monkey Magus Known Level Selection|MonkeyMagusKnownSpells <>
                    > DEFINE:MonkeyMagusKnownSpells|0
                    > and
                    > 1 <> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Monkey Magus Automatic
                    > Now, at each level they get an increase you simply use
                    >

                    > Now, You'll need to actually set up the abilitycategory for the 'Monkey Magus Known Level Selection'
                    > and you'll want to use an easy to remember TYPE in that, I'd go 'MonkeyMagusLevelChoice'
                    >
                    > Monkey Magus Automatic <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> DEFINE:MonkeyMagusMaxLVL|0
                    >
                    > Monkey Magus Known Level 0 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
                    > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=0|1
                    >
                    > Monkey Magus Known Level 1 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
                    > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=1|1
                    >
                    > Monkey Magus Known Level 2 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
                    > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=2|1
                    >
                    > Monkey Magus Known Level 3 <> CATEGORY:Special Ability <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
                    > BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Monkey Magus;LEVEL=3|1
                    >
                    > Repeat the formula for each level up to 9 (or whatever your max really is)
                    >
                    > And in case you really need help with the Abilitycategory part:
                    >
                    > ABILITYCATEGORY:Monkey Magus Known Level Selection <> TYPE:MonkeyMagusLevelChoice <>
                    > CATEGORY:Special Ability <> EDITABLE:YES <> EDITPOOL:YES <> DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities <>
                    > PLURAL:Monkey Magus Known Level Choices

                    I tried to implement what you described. Half success. I have an ability category with 5 abilities (I need only 5 spell levels). If i manage to select an ability it increase the number of known spells for that spell level. But, I cannot select one ability more than once. So if I want to have two second level spell I cannot do that.

                    How can I select one ability more than once?

                    Thanks,
                    Peter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5 12:09 PM

                      Add to each ability

                      'CHOOSE:NOCHOICE <> STACK:YES <> MULT:YES'

                      Cheers,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5 12:57 PM

                        Thanks for the help. I missed the CHOOSE:NOCHOICE token. Anyway, can you tell me what's the meaning of this line:

                        Class Automatic
                        CATEGORY:Special Ability
                        DEFINE:ClassMaxLVL|0

                        "Class" is "MonkeyMagus" in your example. In my files it has the name of a PHB2 class.

                        Thanks,
                        Peter

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 5 1:16 PM
                          Nothing like picking up a conversation from September 2010 and trying to remember what things were
                          meant for.

                          I think that was meant to help regulate the Spell Ability Level, so the character wasn't taking a
                          bunch of Spell stuff above their ability. But since I don't think it's being used you can remove and
                          or ignore it.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5 1:39 PM

                            Yeah, nothing's better than remembering :-) Anyway I finally managed to create my Dusk..... class as I wanted to. All the credits go to you so thank you for your precise help.

                            Regards,
                            Peter

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 5 1:54 PM
                              You're welcome.