Re: How to MOD the Fly spell to apply temporary bonus

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 5, 2010
      When I changed it to

      Fly.MOD
      BONUS:POSTMOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|60|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      BONUS:POSTMOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC

      then it did show up in the list of available temporary bonuses, but when selected the Preview tab showed that it did not acquire a Fly speed.

      I confirmed that the old version

      Fly.MOD
      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|60|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC

      continues to grant a fly speed...but 90 instead of 60.

      Then I tried

      Fly.MOD
      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|30|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC

      and that seems to work properly...but it assumes that the creature's base speed is 30.

      Here's an idea for a kluge: Is there a way to use variables and calculations so that the first BONUS tag is something like

      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|base speed - 30|PREAPPLY:ANYPC

      I tried

      BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|%1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC|MOVEBASE-30

      but that yielded a fly speed of 30, not 60.

      Thanks...I don't quite understand variables and calculations in PCGen yet.

      Allen

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6, 2010

        Can you open a tracker about this. I fear I don't have time to play with this till tomorrow, and it
        may be overlooked by me when I do look tomorrow at the issues.

        On 9/5/2010 9:57 AM, Allen C wrote:
        > When I changed it to
        >
        > Fly.MOD
        > BONUS:POSTMOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|60|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        > BONUS:POSTMOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        >
        > then it did show up in the list of available temporary bonuses, but when selected the Preview tab showed that it did not acquire a Fly speed.
        >
        > I confirmed that the old version
        >
        > Fly.MOD
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|60|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        >
        > continues to grant a fly speed...but 90 instead of 60.
        >
        > Then I tried
        >
        > Fly.MOD
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|30|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|-20|PREVARGTEQ:ENCUMBRANCE,1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.MEDIUM]"),1,var("COUNT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY]"),1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        >
        > and that seems to work properly...but it assumes that the creature's base speed is 30.
        >
        > Here's an idea for a kluge: Is there a way to use variables and calculations so that the first BONUS tag is something like
        >
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|base speed - 30|PREAPPLY:ANYPC
        >
        > I tried
        >
        > BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Fly|%1|PREAPPLY:ANYPC|MOVEBASE-30
        >
        > but that yielded a fly speed of 30, not 60.
        >
        > Thanks...I don't quite understand variables and calculations in PCGen yet.
        >
        > Allen
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> What? BONUS:POSTMOVEADD should be used instead of BONUS:MOVEADD, and the tags should be the same,
        >> PREAPPLY and all.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • Allen C
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 7, 2010
          Will do...but

          a) I'm not sure it's a bug...maybe I just coded it wrong
          b) I've forgotten the URL for the tracker system...sorry!

          Allen

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 7, 2010

            a) you're reporting what you think is something that isn't working the way you thought it should,
            hence it's a bug. And then myself or another monkey investigates and either confirms the bug, or
            denies it and let's you know what you might have done wrong. Either way tracking the issue means it
            gets reviewed.

            b) jira.pcgen.org

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 7, 2010
              Done.

              Thanks for looking into this.

              I don't know if I put the tracker in the right section. I tried Code | Rules System.

              And if you ever have time to look at my attempted use of the MOVEBASE variable for a calculation I'd appreciate it.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 7, 2010
                I can try, but my time is being severely crunched in what I call "Crazy Life". The family does
                get a bit of priority, I have a game I'm running this Saturday and only half of the characters are
                done, and then the APG Set is my priority project. [The 72 hours of work I'm doing doesn't help either]

                I know I had a test monkey around here some where. Anyways, I'll try but the time is a factor. As it
                is the remoting in to the home PC helps, but it's not fun to test and code with lag.

                Hence why the tracker is important. It lets all the monkeys know about it, and the free one will
                pick it up.

                On 9/7/2010 2:48 PM, Allen C wrote:
                > Done.
                >
                > Thanks for looking into this.
                >
                > I don't know if I put the tracker in the right section. I tried Code | Rules System.
                >
                > And if you ever have time to look at my attempted use of the MOVEBASE variable for a calculation I'd appreciate it.
                >
                > Allen
                >

                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@...> wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> a) you're reporting what you think is something that isn't working the way you thought it should,
                >> hence it's a bug. And then myself or another monkey investigates and either confirms the bug, or
                >> denies it and let's you know what you might have done wrong. Either way tracking the issue means it
                >> gets reviewed.
                >>
                >> b) jira.pcgen.org

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin