New ability/feat that adds general skill points.

  • Ding
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
      Howdy folks,
      I'm trying to code an ability/feat that grants the PC 5 additional skill points when they take it. They can allocate these skill points however they want as long as they don't exceed the max ranks for their level. BONUS:SKILLPOOL seems like it should be the right tag since it adds to the available pool of skill points, but you have to specify a class and level, which I have no way of knowing. Is there an undocumented use of the BONUS:SKILLPOOL tag that will work? :) Or will I have to code it where it adds five hidden feats/abilities that each add 1 skill rank individually?

      Thanks in advance,
      Jason
    • distant_scholar
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2010
        This sounds like the Open Minded feat, which is in the psionics part of the SRD. Unfortunately, the Open Minded feat in the psionics part of PCGen doesn't actually do anything, so that's no help. :-|

        You could have the ability/feat grant a template, and then have the template grant BONUSSKILLPOINTS. I think that works.

        [Is this a rsrd bug now?]

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2010
          Okay, I have two answers for you and one solution at the end.

          Simple Answer - Can't be done today as you expect.

          Complex Answer - It'd be a coding nightmare to get it to work at all on the LST
          side, and the effort would not be worth the meager gain. You'd have to
          essentially code it for EVERY CLASS at Every Level, oh, and you'd have to give
          the feat, level down and then level back up. It's a code FREQ, though I'd have
          to look through the 200 odd code requests we have currently to track it down.

          The thing of it is, Each Class Has it's own Skill Pool that is SET (i.e.
          hardcoded at level up) we cannot change the pool on the fly. Hence it's on the
          plate of things to be changed in the future.

          Solution Answer - Now that I have told you it can't be done, I'm going to give
          you a solution that WILL work. I had to come up with a way to grant Skill Ranks
          to my Eclipse Data Set Classless system. The Solution is not as Elegant as I'd
          like, but I built it to work within the existing confines of the code, I could
          Probably tweak it to work better, but we're heading into the "more work than
          gain" realm.

          Now that I've given you that background here's the solution:

          Make yourself (Or just cheat and grab the code in my Eclipse Set) the proper
          ABILITYCATEGORY I call mine Skill Buy, but feel free to call yours whatever
          you'd like.

          And then Create an ability - You probably don't want the names I used, but again
          different needs. Full Skill Buy was mine, but again, the name was suited to the
          system, it's brother is Adept Skill Buy.

          You'll want to use CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED in conjuction with BONUS:SKILLRANK|%LIST|1

          Oh, and your feat, you'll want to use BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Skill Buy|5

          That's the only solution that's easily implemented without a headache.

          Skill Buy Ability Category is it's OWN Category BTW, not Special Ability.

          Pros: Not to hard to set up like I said.
          Cons:
            You won't know if you've hit the Max Rank Cap, and can overspend points (The
          excess are wasted in Limbo as PCGen WILL enforce the Max Cap) // You'll be on
          the Feats and Abilities Tab, not Skills Tab.
            CLASS vs. Non-Class Skills will also be enforced, each rank will be a half
          rank in non-class skills.

          Okay, well I hope that was easy enough to understand as I'm barely awake and at
          work. Again, feel free to cheat and grab my code from the Eclipse set. Save
          yourself a little effort, though you'll need to edit the CHOOSE:SKILLS portion
          if you aren't using the trunk [I can't recall if I'm using the newer choose
          syntax in it yet or not...]

          Again, the syntax exists in the eclipse set, it's found in the trunk
          'notfordistribution' folder if you want a working example.

          Andrew

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2010
            Heh, you're correct, we do have that feat in our set. I suppose we could
            implement my solution there.

            Nice to see others trying to answer on the board.

            Though, unless you know what level, the template IIRC will keep granting the
            extra 5 skill points every level. You're also still limited to the de-level
            re-level issue.

            Nope, this is definitely on a 'We need a proper Code Solution' List.
             --
            Andrew

            ________________________________
            This sounds like the Open Minded feat, which is in the psionics part of the
            SRD.  Unfortunately, the Open Minded feat in the psionics part of PCGen doesn't
            actually do anything, so that's no help.  :-|

            You could have the ability/feat grant a template, and then have the template
            grant BONUSSKILLPOINTS.  I think that works.

            [Is this a rsrd bug now?]

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ding" <ding50@...> wrote:

            > Howdy folks,
            > I'm trying to code an ability/feat that grants the PC 5 additional skill points
            >when they take it. They can allocate these skill points however they want as
            >long as they don't exceed the max ranks for their level. BONUS:SKILLPOOL seems
            >like it should be the right tag since it adds to the available pool of skill
            >points, but you have to specify a class and level, which I have no way of
            >knowing. Is there an undocumented use of the BONUS:SKILLPOOL tag that will work?
            >:) Or will I have to code it where it adds five hidden feats/abilities that each
            >add 1 skill rank individually?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Jason

          • Jason D
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2010
              Thanks to Andrew and distant_scholar. I think your solution (even if it's not
              perfect) is actually good enough for what I want to do. And I'm definitely lazy,
              so I'll just borrow your code and modify it slightly for my needs. :)

              Jason