Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Creating basic monsters

  • Michael Johnston
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
      I'm trying to code up a non-OGL class for my personal use, and aside from
      having to learn the tags (many of which are not as clear as I'd like, but
      I'm managing), there's a problem that is killing me.

      For wont of a better option I'm working in the LST Editor. Every time I go
      into the file, the Level benefits on the Level tab multiply. First there
      was one of each, then two, then four. It's making me nuts. Any idea what's
      causing this?

    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
        It'll almost certainly be a bug in the LST Editor, I'm afraid your best option is to edit in a text editor (we have syntax support files).

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Michael Johnston <johnstonmr@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to code up a non-OGL class for my personal use, and aside from
        > having to learn the tags (many of which are not as clear as I'd like, but
        > I'm managing), there's a problem that is killing me.
        >
        > For wont of a better option I'm working in the LST Editor. Every time I go
        > into the file, the Level benefits on the Level tab multiply. First there
        > was one of each, then two, then four. It's making me nuts. Any idea what's
        > causing this?

      • walkingivy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
          Valid comments. My goal wasn't to enforce the rules, but to enable someone to quickly apply the rules as desired to make up a creature. They would need to know the rules and know what they want to make. The art is only as good as the artist, no matter how good the tools are.
          For example, the rules do say that any monster is automatically proficient with any weapon it is listed as having. It's a blanket 'exception' to the standard proficiencies granted to each generic creature type. What weapons a creature has is part of the design of that creature. I simply chose to enable this by granting proficiency with everything. But, yeah, it is obviously open to abuse.
          I agree that going the other way and using a template to add these non-generic proficiencies is certainly more in line with how PCGen operates in general. But covering everything as I did was both faster to implement and is faster to use. And besides, my template file has been exploding with all the other parts to this I've created. For now, I'll leave it as a "possible future enhancement". Or once I get my files up, someone else can donate that part.
          Hmm. Maybe I should type less and work on my files more.....

          Thanks.

          > *Shakes head*
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Basic Creature indeed... As coded your first race won't ever need any Armor or Weapon Proficiency Feat, out does even a fighter. If I'm a power gamer I'd be choosing this race ;)
          >
          > AUTO:WEAPON should be used only when you know that's what it gets. My Pathfinder fu isn't the highest, but unless they've drastically changed things, Aberrations should get all simple and only Martial Weapons they are carrying IIRC. Armor Prof is the same. LANGBONUS Any reason you didn't just use ALL?
          >
          > Next, the skills. You've granted every single skill as a class skill, was that intended?
          >
          > Then you gave it the Human advantage of having any class as favored. Also, your Feat Pool will be off, you give it a Feat at 1st level, then the second it gains second level you take it away.
          >
          > Over all, if you want a basic template race you need to give it the minimum and then have Abilities or Templates that grant the extra stuff. As coded this race is the Paragon of all aberrations.
          >
          > --
          > Andrew (At work and going to bed)

        • walkingivy
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
            >LANGBONUS Any reason you didn't just use ALL?

            Ignorance?